It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I-95 billboard on USS Liberty is anti-Israel, critics charge.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   

I-95 billboard on USS Liberty is anti-Israel, critics charge.

WEST HAVEN >> A billboard on Interstate 95 is sparking outrage from a local lawyer and criticism from the Anti-Defamation League for what they say is its anti-Israel message.

But the veterans organization and its supporters that sponsored the billboard say it depicts one of the most controversial mysteries in U.S. Navy history and they are still demanding answers.

The message on the billboard, in capital letters, reads: “Help the USS Liberty Survivors.” Underneath, in smaller letters, also all capped, the message continues: “Attacked by Israel.” The red, white and blue colors of the American flag are faded and serve as the background of the large sign. The billboard depicts a ship on one side and a wounded sailor on the other.

The bottom of the billboard lists the website www.honorlibertyvets.org.

This is an ongoing controversy.

In 2007, the NSA said that a review of the sustained attack on the USS Liberty was an accident.

The veterans maintain that it was a deliberate attack and an act of war.

For those who may not be aware of this controversy, here is a documentary which details both sides of the incident:

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Well, it is. Isn't it?
Anti Israel, I mean?

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   

I-95 billboard on USS Liberty is anti-Israel, critics charge

Whats wrong with that?

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere
It's wrong to be anti-Israel?

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
So both the US and Israel both say it was a mistake and Israel has paid out compensation to the families and for the damage on more than one occasion since then from what I gather.

So I'm not sure what these people want.

Even if it was deliberate both sides say it was a mistake and they've paid millions for it. I think that's as far as it will ever go and people should probably be thankful they got what they did out of it.

Unless someone can prove otherwise it's going to just be considered a mistake.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Its freedom of speech thats what it is and all of the PC crowd that is killing the entire world off by allowing idiots to control what is said and done can all go F£%(k off

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Sort of like this.

Anti American?
edit on 4/29/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I can't watch the video but I'm guessing our military shot down a plane on accident??

If that's what happened then I'd say they have every right to post something anti American about it happening.

I think these people posting something Anti-Israel about what happened is perfectly fine too.

I mean even they admit it was a mistake. It stands to reason that some mistakes are going to piss someone off when people die from them.

So I don't see a problem with saying something Anti-whoever if in fact the whoever did something wrong.

I just don't know what they expect to happen. Even if it was more than a mistake, it's so long ago and everything now they'll never admit it anyway.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Yeah.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Yeah, I can see why someone would be a little Anti-American over that one especially.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I waqtched a documentary on this some months ago. It was upsetting to say the least. I was angry, but my anger wasnt toward the people of Israel, but directed at the evil leadership that gave the orders to fire on out ship. They thought they could quickly sink it and blame it on others. The quick thinking radioman that rigged an antanna wire and sent out the sos SAVED THEIR BUTTS. the message was recieved by an aircraft carrier, that deployed fighter jets immediatly. They were called back when president Johnson angrily accepted the BS story and appology from Israeli millitary leaders. One Israeli jet pilot refused to bomb out ship and was imprisoned for disobeying. The capitain of the Liberty stepped out on the bridge and flipped off the Israeli leader who flew in after the fact, and asked it there were casualties.
The Israeli millatary leader should have been taken down for this, and our government should have not covered this whole mess up

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

It's not anti-Israel. It's just truth. Whether you believe it was an accident or not, the USS Liberty was attacked by the Israeli military. That's all the sign says.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384

If people were killed, accident or no, there is justifiable public outcry, and ...if you don't like a billboard, don't look!

Problem solved.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

That's all the sign says.

Well, they could have left the last line out. Right?
Or, they could have added "erroneously" in front of it. Right?

So, yeah. It's pretty much anti-Israel. But so what? There's a lot of anti-Israel stuff. As well as anti-American stuff.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose
Nothing to do with my comment.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Which brings up a question I've had for a while now.

Why is it such a big deal to be anti-Israel anyway??? I mean, this is America where we are arbitrarily anti-somebody all the time. Actually, we're anti-lot's of people all the time.

Who else has a "League" established to go after anyone who has some sh*t to say about them besides Israel?? As in specifically for them??? Especially when someone is actually talking sh*t for valid reasons even???

What's up with that???

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I think it's because the implication is that being anti-Israel means being anti-Jewish.
A conflation of politics with religious bigotry. But that would never happen.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Ok, which sometimes that is actually the case too. But still. It seems a little over the top to have an organization, and a powerful one at that, established to go after someone expressing their freedom of speech like that.

I don't think anyone is exempt from someone talking some crap about them now and then.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I don't think anyone is exempt from someone talking some crap about them now and then.

I agree. Cuz this is 'merica. No crime has been committed. By either side.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Anyone who has actually studied this issue, read the accounts of the survivors, etc. knows damn well this wasn't an accident. It was QUITE on purpose. Having said that, the official account is otherwise which says both countries have decided to treat it the way they have despite the ample evidence to the contrary. In other words, it does not matter that it was not an accident. We have decided to treat it as if it were. End of official story.

There are people, including families of those killed in this attack, who are not willing to let this go. Does anyone not understand why they feel this way? Even though it is officially a moot point, those husbands and fathers are dead. So yes, that board is anti-Israel. That's absolutely correct. Next?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join