It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does the rest of the world deal with race relations?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bennyzilla
a reply to: reldra

I think the US is way ahead of most of the world in terms of race relations. Unfortunately we do have groups of people who are legitimate racists and another group of people on the opposite end who are constantly making every issue about race.

It's the outliers on both sides who are the problem children.

Not every issue is about race. The trend in the last couple of years, though, has brought some 'legitimacy' to being racist back. Just because a person can say what they want, doesn;t mean they should. Free speech is no excuse for evil behavior and words. Free speech is a good thing and some will twist the very idea of it into something ugly.

People are legally allowed, in general, to say what they want. Evil, racist things. They should not be surprised when others tell them to shut up, though.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Bennyzilla

I think the US is way ahead of most of the world in terms of race relations. Unfortunately we do have groups of people who are legitimate racists and another group of people on the opposite end who are constantly making every issue about race.

Both are racist for the very same reason. At this point, a racist is simply someone who believes the human species can be subdivided into race.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestionwe have racism in the uk, but not on the same scale as what I see from America, I've never been targeted or mistreated or abused for being a white guy, unlike American white males who seem to be being abused and victimised by wider society, seems there's an agenda out to get you. Racism in the uk has sort of been a generational thing. Like most people will have a racist uncle or grand parent, but it's just different generations who've grown up in a different period not used to pc culture. It's all new to them

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I have looked at jane Elliott on Oprah, in what looks like the early 90s. I don't beieve every last thing she says, but I do believe this from that show:

"racism is a mental illness." -Jane Elliott

Now the OP, OneQuestion is wondering how it is dealt with in other countries in comparison to the Western World. It varies by country. As one poster said...a lot of people are more worried about getting food and poverty that being racist. the levels differ everywhere. Some contries are still fairly homogeneous, the same race resides in the country, mainly. but I can think of none, other than North Korea, where other races and religions do not reside within the country. My uncle married a woman who's family owns an island in Japan. I have known people who went to go teach English in China and stayed.

So, the answer, is varied, by country. The fact that this is not a normal, healthy thing to be cannot be debated. No matter what fallacy argument one uses.
edit on 29-4-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: Bennyzilla

Both are racist for the very same reason. At this point, a racist is simply someone who believes the human species can be subdivided into race.

Absolutely not. Racism is the belief that another race, religion, color, sexual orientation, gender is inferior to yourself. And in some extreme cases, that they have no right to exist at all.
edit on 29-4-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Having lived in Europe and North Africa, my observation is that at least in parts of Europe, racism is a lot more subtle than it is in the US. There are definite degrees of racism, so for example, the French are ostensibly the least racist or concerned with race where the Hungarians seemed to be a lot more racist in their views. The Italians are so mercurial its difficult to determine whether they entertain any racist tendencies.

Oddly enough, in Muslim Egypt, people seemed quite tolerant on a racial basis. They aren't so tolerant of other religions.

Africa itself is a real oddity to me because we in the US seem to think of colors in terms of race, white, black, brown. But in my African travels, it sure seemed to me that while native Africans tend to be "black"...many different shades of black, (yes there are white Africans), there seemed to be some really distinctive differences, i.e., genetic or perhaps "racial" differences between blacks in Africa.

And all of that leads me to the question..........what is "Race"? Guess I'll have to find an Anthropologist.
Any Anthropologists out there?

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Africa itself is a real oddity to me because we in the US seem to think of colors in terms of race, white, black, brown. But in my African travels, it sure seemed to me that while native Africans tend to be "black"...many different shades of black, (yes there are white Africans), there seemed to be some really distinctive differences, i.e., genetic or perhaps "racial" differences between blacks in Africa.

And all of that leads me to the question..........what is "Race"? Guess I'll have to find an Anthropologist.
Any Anthropologists out there?

You are quite right about Africa. It is a huge land mass and discrimination seems to come down to tribal or political ideas. Not exactly color.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   

In answer to my question I found this:
en.wikipedia.org...
But it doesn't really answer my question, i.e., are "ethinic groups" different races?

I did find per a Slate article, that racial groupings adopted by the US government are essentially baseless and perhaps, dare I say, "racist"? www.slate.com... ace_anyway_.html

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   
People in canada are racist too, its everywhere, you hear it at work, stores,restaurants, we as a race, the human race are pretty stupid to be still stuck on color, religion and what not.

So no dont feel bad americans, your not alone with some racist around.
edit on 29-4-2016 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-4-2016 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Absolutely not. Racism is the belief that another race, religion, color, sexual orientation, gender is inferior to yourself. And in some extreme cases, that they have no right to exist at all.

Nonsense. Religion, sexual orientation, gender has nothing to do with race or racism. That is the grossest misrepresentation of racism I have read in recent times. Racism involves races, hence the word "race" as the root.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   

It's handled differently in some ways, and much the same in others. Based on discussions with people in other countries, which I've had online, there is plenty of racism in other places, and plenty of false accusations of the same, much as we see. The really sad thing is that people seem unable to understand that all of the hoopla just makes things worse.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
no worries, blacks are hated everywhere. were not alone

I have a friend that is Chinese and she identifies herself as "white" Chinese. There seems to be a division among some elitist Chinese between the lighter complexioned Chinese and the darker ones.

She also had a heredity slave given to her as a child, but she claims their slavery system is different from the slavery system that existed here in America.

She is so funny, she speaks often of how other people are racist, but no matter how many times I point it out, she doesn't see the racist in herself.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Frankly, that woman is the one with a problem She's vile, hateful, and completely off track. She's part of the problem, NOT part of any solution.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
So I've been sitting here wondering about how the rest of the world deals with racism in their country.

So for instance... Is it just westernized white countries who are constantly dealing with racism, is it just us being called racist all the time or is this going on in let's say... Japan?

Do people illegally immigrants to Japan and when they get deport or jailed by the Japanese government are the Japanese people considered racist? Would the Japanese people even care if they got called racist?

That's just one of many examples. I really am curious to get some insight into other countries and cultures.

I'm ignorant of other countries because I haven't traveled yet outside of the US and I mainly only get news from the Western perspective.

Thanks.

Racism used to mean somebody, somewhere would get imprisoned or, on the other side, would get killed.

Nowadays racism isn't racism, nowadays anybody, anywhere who says anything negative whatsoever about a race that isn't their own is a racist.

The world is a better place, I suppose...

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Personally, I think the word 'racist' has been tossed about erroneously just because one may misunderstand a simple inference and disagree. No real communication. No real understanding of context. Racist, has become the new vogue 'curse word'. It has become a condemnation and has lost its meaning.

Originally, it was meant that one race thought they were superior. It does not have the same meaning today!!! It has been abused and misused. I am frustrated here in America, because it is not racism that is the factor. It is an egototistical misrepresentative of racial sensitivity that has a stranglehold on our country.

Get a grip, America, and set the example! We are all human! Equality will not occur until all of the human race recognizes that we are all one big family on this planet. Are we going to agree? That is a big, No! We are each individuals amongst our family the human race. That doesn't make us racist. We just have to communicate more and equally negotiate fairly amongst ourselves. Will it be perfect? Probably not, but I am hoping others will recognize a moderate win/win is better than a win/lose mentality.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   
The rest of the world?
Really? There is us...and the rest of the world?

And people wonder.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   

In Brazil, there are over 500 different recognized races because people are racially-fluid there. They change race based on achievements in life.
Every culture has a way to classify people who are 'in' and people who are 'out'. Thus, forming dominant and majority cultural groups--and with that, all that that entails: lowered quality of life, questioned identity etc. etc.

Because there is no biological basis for 'race' (blood cannot be subdivided), race is a cultural construct that helps us determine how to treat one another within the system of society.

a reply to: Phage

Seriously. It's no wonder, indeed.
I find it laughable, to some degree.
edit on 29-4-2016 by rukia because: b/c #grammarnazi bakayaro. komeyaro!

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I have spent the past five years in Asia (Philippines and China) and I have never heard any discussions like in the U.S. about racism, appropriation, priviledge, etc. I only hear that from the U.S.

The only time I have heard any complaints about a racist issue was raised by Americans regarding a Thai ad. They either don't know about those terms or don't care. There aren't exactly a large number of foreigners here where I have been. I occasionally see a foreigner here in the Phil's, but there are more in certain cities. I saw foreigners extremely rarely in China.

I do know that the Chinese prefer white foreigners to black ones. I knew two black fellas in China, but they were from Ivory Coast. We talked some and they never mentioned anything bad happening to them. I think in China it is more about just being a foreigner...a laowai. A foreigner will get stared at constantly. A few times when I sat down on a subway, the person next to me got up and moved. I didn't ask why, but they probably didn't want to sit next to a foreigner.

The staring could be taken different ways. I have gotten some stares that appeared to be hateful, like why was I there, but mostly the stares are curiosity and even admiration.

Here in the Phils, it is about being a foreigner, not a race that I have seen. My wife would always point out foreigners to me when I first came here. She never said "hey...look, a black guy!" She referred to them as foreigners and "hey, your friend!" Also, she would ask me where they were from. Sometimes I could have a good idea if I heard them speak, but I would usually say that it is hard to tell where a white person is from just by looks alone. I guess I was racist...

Now...discrimination is legal here and they are open about it. If a business wants a pretty girl clerk for their store, they will put up a sign "now hiring attractive female 22-25 years old only." I saw the same thing in China. Some would say white preferred.

What someone said previously about skin color is true. They want to look lighter toned. There are many many products that lighten the skin. Deodorant, lotions, soap, etc, line the store shelves and are in many commercials. I was surprised when I saw all of those products. I told them that in the U.S., we bought products to darken our skin and tanned. I learned that people want what they don't have. From what I gather, it is a perception of having more money and feeling more attractive. I told my wife to stop using them because I liked the natural Asian skin tone. Seeing some women with artificially white skin looked fake to me.

I honestly think that discussions about racism, appropriation, priviledge, etc is unique to the U.S. and Europe. That is my opinion. I don't see it existing in the two Asian countries I have lived in.

For the most part, I have been very welcomed in both countries because I was a foreigner. I have never felt not welcomed. I have never had a feeling about being a different race. I was just a foreigner.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

There are different parts of the world than the U.S., yes? Either you didn't know this or you are just trying to insinuate that the OP is talking down from a pedestal?

Either way, I find your post not adding to the topic, but rather trollish.

It does make this person wonder why you would spend any time posting nothing that contributes.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Multiculturalism doesn't work anywhere.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join