It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eighth-grader’s $2 bill sparks police investigation in Houston

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Wow, what a bunch of IDIOTS! Shame that they are so poorly trained and educated that they'd not know legitimate currency when they see it. Plus, what sort of dope does one have to be to think anyone would fake a bill with a denomination that low?!?!? Wow, just wow. Sad, too, that the kid would take a likely valuable bill and try to use it for lunch money. Sheesh, I have, someplace, an old bill like that, given by a great uncle, and saved. I have some newer ones in a drawer, kept because they aren't made these days. I can't imagine someone not knowing about them, though! Would they react the same way to some of the rarer coins like dollar and half-dollar ones?

The school ought to be ashamed.....to think they are supposed to be educating these kids! The police should have told them to wise up, and refused to become involved. That NO ONE at a school, of all places, knew about two-dollar bills is a really sad reflection on our education system!

My eighth-grader is having a hard time believing they could all have been that stupid.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
When I was first in Cuba, in 1990, foreigners paid in either Intur tourist currency, or US money. For some reason, there were a lot of American twos in circulation there. They had a nasty reputation in the States...something to do with the purchase of a particular sex act.
Up here, ones and twos are now coins...loonies and twonies. And our bills are plastic.
I'm guessing they won't fly in Houston.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: tayton
I got a fake $100 bill off my boss once for 20 bucks, he didn't want to deal with it and the bank would keep it if he deposited it.

Anyway I go to the gas station and put 10 in gas tank and pay with the 100, girl gives me me 90 back. As I go out the door she says I'm sorry but I think this fake could you pa another way, I say sure and take the hundred back and hold out her 90. She pulls a 10 out of the 90 im holding to her and says thanks, no problem I say and find another gas station and put 10 in and get 90 back there too, I can't even think how much I made that day. Lol. Too complicated lol

You purposely and knowingly paid with counterfeit money? You know that's a felony right? I'm sorry I don't find this funny at all.

As for the OP, wow! I love hoarding $2 bills at work! When customers come in asking for them I only give out a few. I have always been very superstitious with $2 bills and love having them in my drawer at work. I see $2 bills all the time! People come in weekly to the bank and ask for them, $2 bills and silver dollars are popular requests!

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I worked for an "over the counter" pharmaceutical company that was serviced by a food service that served many venues in the area including a "titty bar". The bar would exchange their bank deposits for $2 dollar bills for the patrons to insert in the entertainers G strings, etc. They would also pay the food service with aforementioned bills where I would purchase the rare ones with red or blue ink at face value.

Before that, I had no idea that the entertainers were "tipped" with two dollar bills...

I also found many other rare coins in the change used in the cafeteria.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I can't help it, I have to tell what happened today. I went thru McDs and the cashier told me "I'm sorry I'm out of the small dimes, so I'll give you large ones instead". He was dead serious. I can't even. I took his large dimes (nickels) and pulled thru.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

My step dad, whom was infrantry in the US army right at the end of the Korean war told me they used to pay soldiers, and especially navy personel in $2 bills for some reason. I cant remember the reaosn he gave and he is asleep right now, if you want I can ask him if he remembers/knows. I tried finding information on this but all I could find was a forum where someone else was asking for information on the subject, no one had any links in it. And another site kinda like yahoo answers asking same question with no answer.

*EDIT*

If it was a long while back and there were a lot of American armed services in the area that could explain it if my step dad was telling the truth. He has a lot of .. "stories" ...
edit on 4/30/16 by DeviantMortal because: Hit reply too soon.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 12:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
The cashier looked at what I gave them like it was from another planet.

If the register doesn't tell them how much to give back, a lot of kids don't know how to make change by 'counting up' anymore. It's astounding. Not that you'd have had to in this case.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 04:30 AM
link   
a reply to: DeviantMortal

Not an altogether uncommon practice, and there was a reason. ...

Throughout the years the $2, in its many forms, was a relatively uncommon and seldom used bank note. US Military base commanders would pay service personnel in $2 bills to demonstrate to the community (where the base was located) the economic impact the base had on the local economy. The payment in $2 bills was usually accompanied by a press release before hand stating that all personnel would be paid thusly. Shortly after payday the local merchants would start seeing this large influx of $2 bills start showing up in their cash drawers. Then, when the community started griping about the base for whatever reason, the base commanders would remind the community leaders about the positive economic impact of the base citing the sudden appearance of large quantities of $2 bills as proof.

It was kind of an interesting tactic really.

edit on 4/30/2016 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 06:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I can see that, a lot of people do not like living near military bases, but I live just a few miles from Fort Benning, and I know without our town would probably die. I live close enough that I can hear when they playing with some of the heavy artillary and the low flying planes for jump training fly right over the trailer park I live in, most of the time directly over my house.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I used $2 bills to buy a bunch of Powerades™ for the guys at the repair shop once because my wallet was overloaded with them from the horse races (I had a big day, went in with a $100 bill, left with $80 in $2 bills
)

When I got back 20 min later (the gas station was a 2 min walk away) I explained the wait: the cashier had to go get the other guy, who went to the back and got the manager, who ultimately had to call the district manager.

I could have used my card, but it was hilariously entertaining.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   
The saddest irony of this story is that it happened at a school. A place that hires educators. A place of teachers who are supposed to have educations.
Kind of proves our schools are overrun with idiots who are doing what? Teaching our kids things. Uh oh.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

After seeing how this generation of teachers organize, or rather dont I want to homeschool our children. And I would if I didnt think think that the interaction with other people the same age and being part of a group enviroment outside of the house wasnt important to his development.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Cheddarhead
i doubt they would have a currency testing bill made when bill was issued and why would you have one for such a low denomination/ but yes school and police are a bunch of morons to do this.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
The saddest irony of this story is that it happened at a school. A place that hires educators. A place of teachers who are supposed to have educations.
Kind of proves our schools are overrun with idiots who are doing what? Teaching our kids things. Uh oh.

Do teachers run the food service?

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

I read the whole article. Please tell me that this is a joke. I know that as a nation America has gone mad. I didn't think that my countrymen were this crazy though.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:57 AM
link   
They better give that girl free lunch all year for what they put her through.
edit on 4-5-2016 by gflyg because: misspell

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:58 AM
link   

No cure for stupid.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Whodathunkdatcheese

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

Do teachers run the food service?

What kind of argument is that? The woman is working at a school and has to follow employment rules of the school which strive to promote an atmosphere conducive to learning environments. That doesn't mean some stupid woman isn't going to make an ass out of herself, but when she does, it means she forgot her signed employee handbook and the spirit of what it says within. Even abandoning all of that the irony still exists that this happened at a school where kids learn things. I suppose the true answer is right there, the kids learn, but the adults are retards? Yeah, that must be it.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 04:30 AM
link   
What get me in such cases, is that a 2 minute web search will establish the facts and everyone can go on their way happy and having learned something, instead of escalating the issue.

I would bet that everyone involved, at the school and at the police station, all have smart phones with data services, and have readily available PC / Internet access at their fingertips, but were just too stupid to even think about using the available tools to check on the $2 note status.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Once many moons ago...

In my youth, I took a job as a cashier, one busy summer day I broke open a very old looking roll of dimes. They made a odd sound when poured out into the change drawer. I picked one up and it looked brand new but oddly colored.

The Manager came by to investigate after I drew his attention to them. He scooped them all out and replaced them with another roll from the safe.

They were all silver.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join