It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eighth-grader’s $2 bill sparks police investigation in Houston

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   
This week's numbskull of the week award goes to several people involved in a major issue that ended up involving a big police investigation.

Seems an 8th-Grader tried to pay for some food in school with a $2 Bill.

The chain of events is:

1. The $2 bill was declared fake probably first by a cashier.

2. Then it was declared fake by school officials.

3. The the police got involved and we can only imagine what that was like.

The moronic part is the $2 bill was actually genuine !!!!

Granted, the bill was an old one from the 1950s, but genuine nevertheless.

Read the story and decide how many idiots should share the Blue Ribbon and Trophy.

Eighth-grader’s $2 bill sparks police investigation in Houston

A Houston eighth-grader was reportedly investigated for forgery after she tried to use a $2 bill to pay for lunch at school.

Danesiah Neal, a student at Fort Bend Independent School District’s Christa McAuliffe Middle School, said she was trying to buy some chicken nuggets with the $2 bill her grandmother gave her, but school officials confiscated the bill and said it was fake, a local ABC News affiliate reported.

“I went to the lunch line, and they said my $2 bill was fake,” Danesiah told the news station. “They gave it to the police. Then they sent me to the police office. A police officer said I could be in big trouble.”

School officials called Daneisha’s grandmother, Sharon Kay Joseph, and asked, ” ‘Did you give Danesiah a $2 bill for lunch?’ He told me it was fake,” the grandmother recalled.

+9 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

This happens more often than you think.

I was online at a convenience store and the clerk refused to take the women's $2 bills standing in front of my because he thought they were fakes.

I gave her a $10 for her $2's so she could get her purchases.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Didn't you know that school lunches are a major source for money laundering ?
Bubble gum machines are next in line for fake quarters.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: samkent
Didn't you know that school lunches are a major source for money laundering ?
Bubble gum machines are next in line for fake quarters.

No didn't know any of that.

How "major" are they?

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Yes, this is blatant stupidity. I collect coins and sometimes curency. When I find something in my collection doesn't have any better value than it's face , either for a collector or scrap (in the case of coins), and I have no particular interest in that type, I spend them. Most $2 bills are not 'worth' their face value, but are legal tender for $2 worth of goods.

I have never had a problem, other than the cashier at the local store asking me why I was spending them and that she would ask "kathy" our friendly neighborhood convencience store mahager if she could 'buy' them later from the drawer.

Being so close to Canada, most supermarkets will take Canadian change at face value without even pausing. It is difficult to imagine that a US $2 bill looks strange enough to call it 'fake'.

Maybe 'because Texas', from the article I have seen this is not the first time they have done this to a student.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
There are nutrition services that MAKE money for their school districts. We are talking a million plus, all from government funded programs. They know exactly which programs to utilize and they take full advantage.

This child needs a full apology from the school and police. People have forgotten how sincerely owning up to making a mistake can make a huge impact. Instead they let it snowball into something bigger then it needs to be.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
I collect coins and sometimes currency.

Rifling through your friend's couch cushions again?

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
The sad thing is, I can see how this happened without anyone actually being stupid. If in that are they had a problem with people counterfitting small bills like we have had happen here in Phenix City, AL for some reason the $2 dollar bill is the most commen one I have seen, then the cashier was simply doing her job. If she checked the bill using a counterfit detection pen, it would have failed the test if it was an old bill. I was hoping to provide a link and some quotes but I my search fu is failing me at the moment and I can not find any. I know this from first hand experience, I have used the pen to check multible old twenties and an old fifty, all of them failed but all were real.

That being said, I was not there and I would not doubt the stupidity of any human.

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
People are that dumb. I was at a Taco Bell once. The bill was something like 12.56. I gave them 20.56. A ten dollar bill, a ten dollar gift card, and 56 cents. The cashier looked at what I gave them like it was from another planet. They said they did not know how to enter it since it was not an 'zero' number and it was more than I ordered. I explained I just wanted the singles. They called over a manager. I SH$% you not she looked at the worker, looked at the screen, acted like she was doing something and said "I'm not sure" and walked away.

Needless to say, and this is the best, the cashier simply handed me back my money, the gift card and the food. Said have a nice day. Still not sure if that drawer was short....

The scary part....these people drive cars.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
The scary part....these people drive cars.

Also they vote and have children.

edit on 29-4-2016 by FaunaOrFlora because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
The $2 bill is from 1976, Bicentennial, I still have a few around.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: FaunaOrFlora

Yeah, but you don't need a license...how the hell did they pass?

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   
There was a time in my life that I would take a portion of my paycheck every week and get a supply of 2 dollar bills and Sacagawea dollars, and spend them. I should start doing that again...

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I got a fake $100 bill off my boss once for 20 bucks, he didn't want to deal with it and the bank would keep it if he deposited it.

Anyway I go to the gas station and put 10 in gas tank and pay with the 100, girl gives me me 90 back. As I go out the door she says I'm sorry but I think this fake could you pa another way, I say sure and take the hundred back and hold out her 90. She pulls a 10 out of the 90 im holding to her and says thanks, no problem I say and find another gas station and put 10 in and get 90 back there too, I can't even think how much I made that day. Lol. Too complicated lol

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Watcher777
There are nutrition services that MAKE money for their school districts. We are talking a million plus, all from government funded programs. They know exactly which programs to utilize and they take full advantage.

This child needs a full apology from the school and police. People have forgotten how sincerely owning up to making a mistake can make a huge impact. Instead they let it snowball into something bigger then it needs to be.

Definitely true. My husband worked for the food service provider at the high school and got in trouble for letting a parent know that they still had a positive balance for their child's lunch program account. If there was any money left over when school let out, the food service provider would just keep it.

There had to have been some kind of currency testing pen available to test that bill. Have people really reached the level of ignorance to NOT know that there was such a thing as a $2 bill?

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: manuelram16
The $2 bill is from 1976, Bicentennial, I still have a few around.

Actually this was a $2.00 from the fifties. It probably had a red seal instead of a green one and the phrase "Legal Tender Note" instead of "Federal Reserve Note" on top. The 1976 $2.00 bill has an illustration of the signing of the declaration of the independence on the back. This one had an illustration of Monticello on the back.
edit on 29-4-2016 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

I had a friend that went to Taco Bell and tried to pay with a $2 bill.

They told him, "That's not real money."

Even the manager refused to accept the bill.

I'm not sure if I can blame someone for something if they've never seen or experienced before.

$2 bills and the $1 coins are not normally used by everyone.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Morons.
There is a scrap metal company in Houston that is notorious for their dreadful homemade commercials. Their big gimmick is that they pay you for your metal with 2 dollar bills.
Can't believe anyone lives in the area and hasn't seen these commercials.C&D Scrap Metal

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
You see the women's fingers? It was cause the child was afro american and therefore conspiracy in order to eliminate a non threat.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   
They used to be pretty common. I have some older ones. One from 1953, and one from 1963.
The one dollar bill is a 1928

Here is the flip side. Im sure the one would have scared them.

The gold coins are $5 and $10 dollar gold pieces 1880 and 1901. The silver piece was found by my uncles friend in the early sixties on a sunken Spanish galleon, off the Florida coast. It may have been from 1714, I cant remember. Uncle called it a Cobb

The grandmother in this story probably had no money in her purse, so she grabbed the $2 bill out of her collection to see that her grand daughter got fed. Some people at schools dont know too much.
edit on 29-4-2016 by visitedbythem because: add picture

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join