It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California PC Police Dishonor "The Duke"

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: alienmma
a reply to: DBCowboy

LOL you're such a freedom fighter dude. So impressive!

Nope. I'm just an old man who enjoys being a thorn in the side.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Substracto
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

Thats not what your agenda says

Could you be more vague, you make no sense but at least your trying am i right. Lol

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
The way I see this is that they want to honor Wayne because he's Americana. Apple pie, baseball, etc. A remembrance of when America was great. I can see that but those times also come with baggage. What was acceptable then may not be now.

The image? Yes. The myth.

But, that is not who the man was.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Well it wasn't horse crap, he was a racist... so if it's for the good of California to have a holiday in the name of a celebrity, why him? There's hundreds of icons to chose from. Why not Charlie Chaplin? That would make the most sense.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

This is about a movie star on his own right, and you have to bring Trump to the case, lol...

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

The way I see this is that they want to honor Wayne because he's Americana. Apple pie, baseball, etc. A remembrance of when America was great. I can see that but those times also come with baggage. What was acceptable then may not be now.

If I meant to say that I would have.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   

the same vagueness you use in your comments, good one, chum

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Same people doing the same circle jerk, dont worry buddy your team will win one day.

And your still not making sense.
edit on 29-4-2016 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Annee

If I meant to say that I would have.

But, why would you honor John Wayne the person?

If I was going to honor a person of that era, for the person they really were - - it would be Jimmy Stewart.

link   
Silly iphone
edit on 29-4-2016 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   

the same vagueness you use in your comments, good one, chum

Dude you havent made sense sinse you started talking to me, at least be relevant for once.

link   

No worries, keep lumping if it makes you happy!

Cheers*

link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: CynConcepts

Different times and social standards. There were rumors he was gay too, but I believe his Hispanic wives have fervently denied that was ever the case.

Exactly right. Martin Luther King thought homosexuality was a mental disorder, for example.

Turns out, he was correct.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Jesus... It's amazing how deluded conservatives are! What Wayne said there was racist and it has nothing to do with PC. How do you miss this?

How on earth did you ever survive prior to the 21st Century?

link   
So next time a liberal actor is talked about, you guys wont pick on him right, salty tears all day long, with ats these days.

What do people think, thats if they insult people no one will reply.

If you play with fire you might get burned, pretty easy to understand.

link   

I can agree with this, and think that it is in the handling of that baggage that the PC thing goes overboard. The entire flap is based on Wayne's Playboy interview and a couple of now-seen-as "inappropriate" comments he made. Trouble is, nobody is suggesting the man deserves to be honored for that interview or even for what he stated in that interview. *Most* Americans over the age of 30, when we think of John Wayne, think of American swagger, pioneer spirit, bravery, big brass balls... he's the icon of everything it used to mean when we were taught American Exceptionalism in schools.

The real truth here is that there is a contingent in the US and the world that want that idealism stripped from America at all costs. Honoring people like Wayne, Kirk Douglas, Clint Eastwood, Lee Marvin, and such doesn't fit their narrative because it heralds a time when Americans walked with swagger, pride, and a middle finger up to anyone who groused about it.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   

No worries, keep lumping if it makes you happy!

Cheers*

Im starting to like you, you make no sense but your trying hard, heres a medal for
Trying.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

originally posted by: LSU0408

originally posted by: harvestdog

Guess they'll be renaming their airport then. After all it is John Wayne Airport.

Same kind of stupid crap went down Wednesday is Anaheim. Councilwoman Kris Murray tried to pass a resolution to denounce Trump and his supporters. 73 people showed up to give her a piece of their mind

People start coming up and speaking at about 8 minutes 15 seconds and keep going for 2 hours. Local officials think they are big shots all of a sudden, eh.

Wow. Absolutely unbelievable. I can still remember when public officials, even lowly council members, acted like mature adults.

I remember when ATS members acted like mature adults and didn't slink out of the woodwork to excuse blatant racism.

It was much better before they crawled out of their dingy little holes.

"The duke" lol you guys are pricelessly sad.

Same question for you since you're in the mood to whine... How on earth did you survive prior to the 21st Century?

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Well it wasn't horse crap, he was a racist... so if it's for the good of California to have a holiday in the name of a celebrity, why him? There's hundreds of icons to chose from. Why not Charlie Chaplin? That would make the most sense.

Charlie Chaplin did blackface routines... do you really wanna see people's goddamned heads explode by proposing that he get honored?

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Some of his comments were pretty stupid:

"I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don't believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people," he told the magazine.

There are some pretty irresponsible crackers in government last time I looked. Like close to 500 of them.

*Sigh* The term "cracker" is worse than anything he said in that quote. Hope your being sarcastic here.
Origins of the term cracker.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join