It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California PC Police Dishonor "The Duke"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Surely you can see it's a disgusting thing to say.

A stupid thing to say, maybe, but disgusting? Words in certain combinations cannot be disgusting, but your thoughts once you hear them can. They are your thoughts; no one else's.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: burdman30ott6

John Wayne was a talentless prick. Why should he be honored for anything outside of Cowboy movies?

For the same reason people let DiCaprio speak at the UN.

For the same reason Sheila Jackson Lee is still wating for the Mars Rover to drive past the American flag.
edit on 29-4-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Jimmy Stewart would be a much better candidate for honoring the man.

I agree that he should have a day celebrating his career and contributions, as well.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
a reply to: DBCowboy

You call people out daily for behing sensitive then cry all day when it dosent fit your agenda, you can cry all day, but dont make it sound like your not doing the same.

Nope.

Wrong.

I don't care what people do. But some people seem to think that they have a right to dictate what others can or cannot do.

I call THEM out.

No tears here.

Lots of laughs though.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Point being what? What I'd like to know is why an elected member of the California Legislature is wasting time on idol worship.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

John Wayne was a talentless prick. Why should he be honored for anything outside of Cowboy movies?

For the same reason people let DiCaprio speak at the UN.

For the same reason Sheila Jackson Lee is still wating for the Mars Rover to drive past the American flag.

DiCaprio actually does a lot of environmental stuff. It's not just lip service.

Talentless?

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

DiCaprio actually does a whole lot of work for the environment. John Wayne as a person, did what? Made movies about cowboys. Cool. Special? No.

ETA: Damnit Annee lol
edit on 4/29/2016 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Ooooh that seems like a bit of a non sequitur...
By your logic it can't be stupid either, despite your initial declaration.

Look, I think you're going too philosophical in all this...

On face value, it's disgusting to promote one race above another or to make another seem inferior...
He did both.

I'm not inventing what he thought in my own mind...
His words express what he meant quite clearly.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts
a reply to: Bigburgh

Exactly! My dad's wife, kids and grandchildren have experienced attacks and accusations from old friends and family extensions, that they have turned on 'their own kind'! That is racism! They may choose to spend more time with their current family and friends because that is all they have to be! Just themselves. I believe in complete equality, not speciality.

😊 I remember the day my sister brought home her husband to be 15 years ago whom is African american. My step Grandma was twitching hard. But my sister's husband works very hard to raise her and thier 3 girls and a boy. And it has nothing to do with race. My brother in law is a Step up "Man".
Also dearly noted was my Step-Grandfather who served in Korea, when I brought home my then Korean Girlfriend.... much more Vocal.

But my father wouldn't put up with the in-laws crap. Made it clear to them to have thier opinions is one thing. But don't preach/teach the hate.😊

edit on 29-4-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Basically burdman, there is nothing wrong with being racist to you. Racism isn't bad, it's the political correctness, right?!

Jesus Christ, what's wrong with you people? Seriously.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Point being what? What I'd like to know is why an elected member of the California Legislature is wasting time on idol worship.

Well, initially these sideline distractions like choosing a state song, naming a "favorite son" (as it used to be called, or picking a day to honor a local celebrity or figure were a way for state assemblies and lawmakers to show that not everything they do has to be life or death, contentious as hell, or controversial. You can't be serious 24/7, and a lot of these traditional "votes" are supposed to give reps (and people) the chance to find some pleasant common ground... not delve into horsecrap the smears the reputation of someone well remembered by the public.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

LOL you're such a freedom fighter dude. So impressive!

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: alienmma

Take it in context, particularly historical context...

Wayne's quote wasn't in any way unique for the era. In fact, I'd say it wasn't even racist for the era.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Substracto
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

You dont call, you poke.

Call it what you want, i couldent care less.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

a reply to: ketsuko

DiCaprio actually does a whole lot of work for the environment. John Wayne as a person, did what? Made movies about cowboys. Cool. Special? No.

ETA: Damnit Annee lol

LOL

My kid works in production. DiCaprio is pretty well respected.

Not that she outright tells me anything, 'cuz what happens in Hollywood stays in Hollywood. I usually catch stuff when she's talking work with someone else.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

Thats not what your agenda says

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

No, it was racist.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Ooooh that seems like a bit of a non sequitur...
By your logic it can't be stupid either, despite your initial declaration.

Look, I think you're going too philosophical in all this...

On face value, it's disgusting to promote one race above another or to make another seem inferior...
He did both.

I'm not inventing what he thought in my own mind...
His words express what he meant quite clearly.

He is expressing an error, not feces or vomit. So yes, not disgusting. Expressing thoughts and words cannot be disgusting, or evil, or any other sort of superstitious propaganda. Maybe you're right, stupid isn't the best choice of words either.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
We get it you guys can stop with the excuses and the insults, if its anything to do with white murika its behing american, if its anything else its fair game to make fun of them.

You guys are going to be bankrupt soon, the gop is imploding on itself and you guys think trump will save america, sucks to be on the losing team for so many years, like you guys say, toughen up buttercup, its a tough workd out there.
edit on 29-4-2016 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
The way I see this is that they want to honor Wayne because he's Americana. Apple pie, baseball, etc. A remembrance of when America was great. I can see that but those times also come with baggage. What was acceptable then may not be now.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join