It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California PC Police Dishonor "The Duke"

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 04:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Some of his comments were pretty stupid:

"I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don't believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people," he told the magazine.

There are some pretty irresponsible crackers in government last time I looked. Like close to 500 of them.

You seem to have the same problem many others demonstrate. You are looking at something like "racism" in today's terms and conditions and are believing that it still applies, in the same manner to a different time in our history.

Yes...you can say that calling black people "irresponsible" is racist today, but that doesn't mean it was racist decades ago. Every person, every group and society as a whole has changed. Like it or not...while we may say today that bombing the Japanese was "bad", when it was decided, it was "right". You can't demonize someone from a different time, place or social atmosphere based upon today's.

This is what gets humans in trouble all the time. There have been times we went to war to "remove a dictator" only to realize that since we didn't understand the society over there...we removed a "needed" dictator. Saddam may have been a bad guy by our beliefs, but apparently him being a dictator is what kept Iraq free of terrorists. Look at it now.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

Truth.

Times and mores change. What's good for a yuck today, was accepted practice yesterday.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
You seem to have the same problem many others demonstrate. You are looking at something like "racism" in today's terms and conditions and are believing that it still applies, in the same manner to a different time in our history.

I already made a comment about looking at things contemporaneously, I guess you missed it.

Regardless, what Wayne said was pretty damn stupid and 100% racist. Saying you believe in the supremacy of a certain race due to you feeling another one is irresponsible is racist no matter when or how you said it. The fact that it was the 1970's, after the Civil Rights movement, shows that he is an ignoramus.

Yes...you can say that calling black people "irresponsible" is racist today, but that doesn't mean it was racist decades ago.

Sure it was, it was butt hurt on Wayne's part resulting from the shifting loyalties from Republicans to Democrats and the Voting Rights Act. Only responsible people voted like John Wayne, everyone else was irresponsible.

Every person, every group and society as a whole has changed. Like it or not...while we may say today that bombing the Japanese was "bad", when it was decided, it was "right". You can't demonize someone from a different time, place or social atmosphere based upon today's.

Bombing Japan had nothing to do with racist sentiments and was a strategic decision in the course of a war.

You can certainly 'demonize someone' from the past for their views if their views are egregious enough, even for the time, that they were wrong. Wayne's dopey interview was considered wrong at the time and got him called out by many of his peers and in the media, it was obviously considered racist then so calling it racist now is not revisionist history.

This is what gets humans in trouble all the time. There have been times we went to war to "remove a dictator" only to realize that since we didn't understand the society over there...we removed a "needed" dictator. Saddam may have been a bad guy by our beliefs, but apparently him being a dictator is what kept Iraq free of terrorists. Look at it now.

Do you know the difference between racism and foreign intervention?

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I think it's a really cheap shot to throw labels at people who were products of their time

Every generation has issues. The current generation is self-absorbed. They are products of their time and so am I in labeling them.

John Wayne was no ignoramus. He was a product of his time. His thinking was a generational issue, not a personal one.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted
I think it's a really cheap shot to throw labels at people who were products of their time

Every generation has issues. The current generation is self-absorbed. They are products of their time and so am I in labeling them.

John Wayne was no ignoramus. He was a product of his time. His thinking was a generational issue, not a personal one.

I'm a product of that time and I knew better.

He knew he was a public image. He knew or should have known the impact of anything he said.

Stop making excuses for his arrogance.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The "product" "image" he portrayed is different.

(post by BootsOnNecks removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

You do realize he was born in 1907? He was 34 when the USA entered WWII. THIRTY-FOUR. Not exactly the average age of men being drafted.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Oh? You're 109 years old? That's amazing!!!

Oh, you're not even close to 109? THEN YOU'RE FULL OF IT AND NOT AT ALL A PRODUCT OF THE SAME TIME AS JOHN WAYNE.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Khaleesi

You do realize he was born in 1907? He was 34 when the USA entered WWII. THIRTY-FOUR. Not exactly the average age of men being drafted.

What year was the controversy comments made?

Did he know or not know he was a public figure that people would "hang" on his words? Personal Responsibility.

I like to read biographies. I've read a couple of his - - although its been quite a few years.

OK, so he's a little older then I remember, but I did grow up with him as I am 70. But, he is my mom's age - - - and she knew better then to make racist remarks.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Oh? You're 109 years old? That's amazing!!!

Oh, you're not even close to 109? THEN YOU'RE FULL OF IT AND NOT AT ALL A PRODUCT OF THE SAME TIME AS JOHN WAYNE.

NO, but I did grow up with him as I am 70.

Did think he was closer to my age.

But, my mom knew better then to make racist comments - - and made sure we didn't.

She was not a Public Figure Legend - - - that people would hang on her every word.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   

I am responding to your post, calling him a draft dodger. You brought up that subject.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

I am responding to your post, calling him a draft dodger. You brought up that subject.

He was actually. It was war time.

Have you read several biographies/articles on him? I have.

It's not like today. War time is different. And that era was different.

He chose his career.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: BootsOnNecks
[snip]

Was that a Klan reference?

One has to wonder how far their head has to be up their own ass to join that moronic organization.
edit on 30-5-2016 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Light your cigar and if need be we will use them to turn on the fires of the cross with it.
Our light will not vanish into an abyss of hypocrisy and savagery.
POWER!

Was that a Klan reference?

One has to wonder how far their head has to be up their own ass to join that moronic organization.

No,son that was not a klan reference.
I mean to say that the light from the cross we set ablaze will guide our way out of the abyss past the savagery of the hypocrisy of liberal snowflakes. I'm always taken aback at how special they think they are. If you aligned my positive message to the Klan that is on you but do not lay it on me. The Duke may have believed in supremacy but I do not.
Never the less is he a cultural icon and american hero - put some respect on his name.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   

I mean to say that the light from the cross we set ablaze...

Interesting metaphor, I was unaware that anyone except the dopey Klan liked to set crosses ablaze.

Never the less is he a cultural icon and american hero - put some respect on his name.

I am not into hero worship, particularly the cretins that come out of Hollywood.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

He received a classification of 3-A due to his age (34) and family status. He was under contract with Republic Studios at the time. He wanted to enlist and actually wrote multiple letters to John Ford about joining his unit. Republic studios actually threatened a lawsuit if he walked away from his contract, so he delayed and made several more pictures. He toured U.S. bases and hospitals in the South Pacific with the USO. You have conflated this to draft dodger to suit your purposes. Yes, he felt guilty for not serving but that doesn't make him a draft dodger. He was under contract with Republic Studios until 1943. The didn't exactly make drafting 36 year olds a priority. Yes he could have fought a lawsuit to get out of his contract but that doesn't make him a draft dodger. He wasn't classified A-1. You may have had a point if he was in his early 20's at the time, but he wasn't.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   

He received a classification of 3-A due to his age (34) and family status. He was under contract with Republic Studios at the time. He wanted to enlist and actually wrote multiple letters to John Ford about joining his unit. Republic studios actually threatened a lawsuit if he walked away from his contract, so he delayed and made several more pictures. He toured U.S. bases and hospitals in the South Pacific with the USO. You have conflated this to draft dodger to suit your purposes. Yes, he felt guilty for not serving but that doesn't make him a draft dodger. He was under contract with Republic Studios until 1943. The didn't exactly make drafting 36 year olds a priority. Yes he could have fought a lawsuit to get out of his contract but that doesn't make him a draft dodger. He wasn't classified A-1. You may have had a point if he was in his early 20's at the time, but he wasn't.

That is one story.

If that's the one you want to believe. OK.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

That is one story.

So you want to deny a story that he was 34 in 1941? Okay.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

That is one story.

Nope.

As I've said. I've read several biographies/articles. They all have different takes.

Feel free to accept and believe the one you choose.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   

That is one story.

Nope.

As I've said. I've read several biographies/articles. They all have different takes.

Feel free to accept and believe the one you choose.

Biographies and articles do not change the FACT that he was 34 in 1941. Biographies and articles do not change the FACT that he was under contract. It is a FACT that he wrote multiple letters to John Ford about joining his unit. You are using innuendo to argue against facts.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join