It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California PC Police Dishonor "The Duke"

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Annee

Is it luck or hard work your job gives you a platform?

Either, both, or none.

As long as they don't act like idiots. Celebrity or not.

Man, some of the stuff my kid reveals, usually accidentally, about certain celebrities.

LOL - One of her favorites is Dave Grohl.

edit on 30-4-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I'll likely get some flak for this but I will say it anyway because I don't know how to not spray my thoughts carelessly on webpages apparently. :p

I feel that in a perfect world, we could honor those things a person did to contribute to or enrich our lives, while also never shying away from acknowledging those things they did we regard as reprehensible or destructive or divisive. No one is devoid of value, and no one is devoid of mistakes. Some greater than others, and some with a platform to signal boost whatever good or damage they impart, true. But I would like to imagine there is a way one can respect and admire some parts of a person, while also denouncing or at least opposing other parts of them; to see that recognition is not necessarily sanction, and honoring is not necessarily endorsing.

That seems like more nuance than we are ready to engage in today, though.

Peace.
edit on 5/1/2016 by AceWombat04 because: Tiptoe through the typos

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: AceWombat04

That is entirely too rational a point of view.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Gee, what a notion.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: SprocketUK
Don't get me wrong, John Wayne was a big influence when I was a kid, though I always fancied myself more in the Steve McQueen mould

I'd say, the Duke was "aspirational" to most boys my age when we were trying to figure out how to be men when we grew up
(all things considered, there are far worse role models)

Steve McQueen fan here

Honoring John Wayne the character and how his films influenced kids and supported the military is one thing.

Honoring the man himself is another.

Couldn't you say the same about a lot of actors? :-)
I used to like Erroll Flynn too, my grandad a WWII vet, despised him.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Jesus... It's amazing how deluded conservatives are! What Wayne said there was racist and it has nothing to do with PC. How do you miss this?

It wasn't racist when he said it.

It was classified racist after he said it.

Over racisifacation.

I liked the fighting seabees!

edit on 5 1 2016 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

edit on 5 1 2016 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

"I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don't believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people," he told the magazine

"Wow... remember when "personal responsibility" was a virtue? Apparently now it's racist and hateful to expect... and people wonder what's wrong with America in 2016."

A new level of reaching even by your standards. Wayne wasn't talking about "personal responsibility," he was making a blanket statement about an entire race. Can you see the difference between the responsibility of an individual person and the collective responsibility of an entire race?
edit on 1-5-2016 by mulder85 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Is anyone even surprised about this? PC/SJW target anything they can just because there always looking for problems where there are none.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   
well WW2 swagger merit man

was Marian Morrison a racist ? well not public in view kind of thing ... i would assume.
but it was in the time in the 1950s
where certain parts of segregated Jim Crow Law - South were the uneducated.
because of their Race .. according to Scarlett O Hara .. Morrison was a Arrogant
bastard when drunk ...

Hell Ol Marian
showed being a racist in some of his characters in movies
go watch the movie called Searchers!!!

see 25 sec mark
www.youtube.com...
THE SEARCHERS (1956) "Cherokee, Welsh & English"

The one of the few thats
Disturbing to me is when he goes into ( I think ) Some Fort
or a Holding of some kind and seeing
a White Woman institutionalized conditioned
the way of the Native Americans ( Supposedly )
and the Look and Shock in his face says a Million !!

"They ain’t white. Not any more. They’re Comanch’":
Race, Racism and the Fear of [1] in The Searchers
Brenton Priestley
www.brentonpriestley.com...

ohh yeah this too

Why dont ya finish the Job!!!

www.youtube.com...
The Searchers - John Wayne's Brutal Moment

but calling me a Racist ... Well.., Ive seen it around where Im from
and im a mixture of 2 races..

it also happens were i am from the boarder of New York & Canada Daily

and People here Bitch about Blacks mostly, what about Native Americans !!

ohh yeah BTW Marian Morrison ( John Wayne ) 2nd Wife was Mexican & 3rd wife was Peruvian ..
SO....!! it puts a Damper of him being a Racist in those Category doesn it !!

edit on 02016SundayfAmerica/Chicago5121 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6
smdh. he is dead let him be. can,t they oh i don't know find something helpful to vring up like how to attract businesses to their community to bring jobs to their people.

(post by bobbyhg66343 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Don't get me wrong, John Wayne was a big influence when I was a kid, though I always fancied myself more in the Steve McQueen mould

I'd say, the Duke was "aspirational" to most boys my age when we were trying to figure out how to be men when we grew up
(all things considered, there are far worse role models)

Steve McQueen fan here

Honoring John Wayne the character and how his films influenced kids and supported the military is one thing.

Honoring the man himself is another.

Couldn't you say the same about a lot of actors? :-)
I used to like Erroll Flynn too, my grandad a WWII vet, despised him.

Errol Flynn was gorgeous and really tall for his era. He loved women and booze. Age of either didn't seem to matter.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Is this a lack of education? Some sort of environmental contamination causing brain damage?

The worst part is that these people want to erase history. They don't want to learn from it, they just want it to go away because they don't understand it.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
A blizzard of snowflakes by the read of it, taken from the posters 'snowflake' post.

A quote from 'your e cards' :-

Anouncing 'I'm offended', is basically announcing to the world you can't control your own emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

People have a right to their opinions, if they are brave, or foolhardy enough to voice them, good luck.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

*applauds*

To achieve such a way is to show maturity, well written.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   
The penultimate american icon. A hollywood "star", a fictitious character. A starring role in all those cowboy and indian films, the swaggering gun toting heathen extinguishing beacon on the horizon, the war hero (as if war is heroic), the two fisted brawler, another hollywood bar fight scene (hurls).

Really? They been replaying all his movies to death, having taken the duke off the shelf one more time to incite furious, nationalistic, flag waving furor (start the band).

Meh…

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

War creates heroes, and either you want it or not, it also develops human civilization, most of the greatest scientific achievments were made during war time.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Substracto

War creates heroes, and either you want it or not, it also develops human civilization, most of the greatest scientific achievements were made during war time.

War doesn't make heroes, only killers. Piss on 'civilization its an illusion. It isn't built on 'civil' behavior, but uncivilized actions, like war.

Edit: Its an illusion, just like the "Dukes" image. A false construct existing only in the fantasy of the movie screen and peoples minds.
edit on 2-5-2016 by intrptr because: Edit:

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   

wrong! what would you call the people that helped some of the jews escaping from the clutches of the Nazis during WWII? killers?!

Just because you end up having to fight for your own life and the life of your comrades, having to kill in the process, it also involves saving lives. illusion or not.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Substracto

wrong! what would you call the people that helped some of the jews escaping from the clutches of the Nazis during WWII? killers?!

War isn't a rescue mission, its conquest of resources and territory.

As far as millions killed, US did its share of incinerating cities in Europe and Japan. Millions of noncombatants immolated.

As far as the "Duke" he's a hollywood construct. The reality of genocide of Native Americans doesn't make it to the 'silver screen'.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join