It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California PC Police Dishonor "The Duke"

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: s3cz0ne

...and FDR threw Japanese Americans into concentration camps.
...and Senator Robert Byrd was a ranking Klansman.
...and Mahatma Gandhi admitted to often beating his wife.
...and WInston Churchill once said the US had done the right thing in their dealings with both indians and black people, even citing the "stronger race had taken it's proper place."
...and Walt Disney was an antisemite.
...and Woodrow Wilson was a staunch segregationist, who wrote about an "intolerable burden of governments sustained by the votes of ignorant negroes" being justification for the Klan.

My point is, if we're going to nitpick people holding relatively common, even popular for the era opinions that don't pass the modern test of sensibility, we're going to have NO historical figures worth honoring in any way. Those who don't honor the past fail to learn from the past.

It's not about nitpicking people for comonally held views from a particular period. It is about evaluating the worth of ones statements and the influence that said statements may have had on society at large. Hell, Dr. Suess was apparently a racist. He may have been a great children's author and left a legacy as such. That doesn't mean that his well documented racism should be excluded from that legacy. It's part of it. That should be known, mentioned and acknowledged regardless who it pertains to. As a society, we must, take the great, good and excellent with the horrible, bad and disgusting. IMO we as human beings owe it to future generations. It should no longer be that the most prominent voice, the elites or Victor's write humanity's history. It's about time that we all get the entire picture. At least as much as we can.

Also, you didn't answer my question. Do you agree with his statement? If you do; why? If you don't; why?
edit on 30-4-2016 by s3cz0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Bigburgh

Eliminating Confederate flags, Civil War memorials, John Wayne from the collective mindset will save everyone from hurt fee-fees.

And before anyone ever says anything, run it through the pee-pee police first so no one wets themselves.

Hell why don't we smash all of our history and start over like ISIS does and just pretend it never existed, or collectively now to make all the libertarians happy, everyone say "I am sorry for the sins of my father's and mothers and brothers and sisters" and get it over with and move on, erase it or accept it, you can never change it. It happened FFS.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I'm with Rich Hall when it comes to Westerns and their messages....I still love watching them mind, just get a bit depressed when I think of what they represent....or misrepresent.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
I'm with Rich Hall when it comes to Westerns and their messages....I still love watching them mind, just get a bit depressed when I think of what they represent....or misrepresent.

www.youtube.com...

He made quite a few war movies too.

Broadly defined, Wayne made sixteen war pictures (about ten percent of his film output) beginning with “The Long Voyage Home” and “Three Faces West,” in 1940, all the way to “The Green Berets,” in 1968. emanuellevy.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee
Don't get me wrong, John Wayne was a big influence when I was a kid, though I always fancied myself more in the Steve McQueen mould

I'd say, the Duke was "aspirational" to most boys my age when we were trying to figure out how to be men when we grew up
(all things considered, there are far worse role models)

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

You didn't know it either - but you bought into it just the same

Is it true?

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Living in Florida I am having a hard time giving a damn about a California holiday.

I do find it sad that this is an issue pertaining to somone from a different era.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
Don't get me wrong, John Wayne was a big influence when I was a kid, though I always fancied myself more in the Steve McQueen mould

I'd say, the Duke was "aspirational" to most boys my age when we were trying to figure out how to be men when we grew up
(all things considered, there are far worse role models)

Steve McQueen fan here

Honoring John Wayne the character and how his films influenced kids and supported the military is one thing.

Honoring the man himself is another.

edit on 30-4-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

FINALLY!!!!

Someone figured it out. He's an icon not because he was Marion Robert Morrison, but because he was John Wayne, larger than life movie star.

Tell me does all of Hollywood's A-listers get the same amount of scrutiny? Will they after they've been dead for several decades?

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: burdman30ott6

John Wayne was a talentless prick. Why should he be honored for anything outside of Cowboy movies?

So, I get the inkling you're not a John Wayne fan. How about Clint Eastwood?

my 2 cents.... I love both john wayne and clint eastwood movies...but, that's it.....their political attitudes are/were crapfilled diatribes...but they both made great movies

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

originally posted by: UnBreakable

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: burdman30ott6

John Wayne was a talentless prick. Why should he be honored for anything outside of Cowboy movies?

So, I get the inkling you're not a John Wayne fan. How about Clint Eastwood?

my 2 cents.... I love both john wayne and clint eastwood movies...but, that's it.....their political attitudes are/were crapfilled diatribes...but they both made great movies

Absolutely! My kid works in Hollywood production.

The "product" and the real person can be complete opposites.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I only liked his movie The Quiet Man, which wasn't cowboy kitsch and made in Ireland.
Actually I love that movie

I don't care if he is honored or ignored, or insulted.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

True Grit was good. "Fill your hands, you son of a bitch!"

I wonder though, why the opinions of celebrities of any sort seem to carry weight.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

No Idea, maybe ask Clint Eastwood why he thought we would be interested in him talking to a chair?

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Well, he was a mayor, afterall.
I'll do that though.
Next time I seem him.
edit on 4/30/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Yeah mayor of Carmel, I'll ask him next time I go for lunch and wine by the beach in that tiny paradise

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

True Grit was good. "Fill your hands, you son of a bitch!"

I wonder though, why the opinions of celebrities of any sort seem to carry weight.

There are some very smart, informed, genuine activist actors/celebrities.

Acting is their job - - people make them celebrities.

The "dumb blond" type label just because someone's job is acting - - - is kind of unfair.

But, I agree - - - just using a celeb as a pitchman is annoying. They should have something to back it up.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   

But, I agree - - - just using a celeb as a pitchman is annoying. They should have something to back it up.

Conversely, just because someone is a "nobody" they should not be ignored.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Conversely, just because someone is a "nobody" they should not be ignored.

True.

Is it luck or hard work your job gives you a platform?

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Is it luck or hard work your job gives you a platform?

Either, both, or none.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join