It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Stupid signs and pointless safety warnings, what is the point?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I have on my desk the packaging from an air nail gun I bought the other day, as I was about to recycle it I noticed that it had a warning saying "keep this tool away from children"

What on earth is the point in this? Is anyone stupid enough to give a toddler a nail gun unless specifically told not to?

I was walking through town earlier and there was a temporary sign saying "caution Roadworks in progress" and a good thing that sign was there as if it was not I never would have known about the roadworks, well apart from the 50 or so traffic cones, temporary traffic lights about a dozen workmen in bright yellow hi viz work gear and the 3 diggers, 2 dumpers and road roller.
Anyone not seeing all that is hardly likely to notice a 2 foot square sign are they?

I bought a hammer once and it had a sticker on it saying "WARNING DO NOT STRIKE HARD OBJECTS WITH THIS HAMMER" which confused me as that is what hammers are for so either the warning was incorrect or it was in fact not a hammer.

When in town I became very confused as I was inside a shop and on the door leading to the street there was a large sign stating "EXIT ONLY".

?

?

I was inside the shop, what else could I possibly use the door for? I could not use it as an entry as I was already inside the shop???

I just do not understand the world any more...

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Several thousand people are injured each year by their own trousers. Sadly it seems we need more warning signs not less. Feel free to despair.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I bought a jar of peanut butter and the label says
"This product contains peanuts"....

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   
"Covering their a$$" and / or abiding by some stupid regulation. Some dummy leaves a nail gun around and a kid gets harmed, and those same dummies wanna sue the manufacturer.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Hey, how's it feel being 39 now?

It's all about lawsuits now, methinks. Warnings on everything because too many people are looking to sue!

Here in Canada, our big thing is Tim Hortons coffee, usually from the drive-thru.
Some woman spilled some on herself in her car, and sued Tim Hortons because she was scalded.
(actually just did some quick research and they've been sued numerous times for scalding)
After that, the paper cups now have the word "hot" printed on them, lol.

The world is full of idiots, and some idiots sue other idiots.
It is what it is.
jacy

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Why do we need signs like these?

Because there are some EXTREMELY stupid people on this earth, and there are a LOT of them.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22
I damn well hope it does.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Stupid people with lawyers.

So the rest of us have to deal with stupid labels, and higher prices.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: jacygirl

It's all about lawsuits now, methinks. Warnings on everything because too many people are looking to sue!

Here in Canada, our big thing is Tim Hortons coffee, usually from the drive-thru.
Some woman spilled some on herself in her car, and sued Tim Hortons because she was scalded.
(actually just did some quick research and they've been sued numerous times for scalding)

It is what it is.
jacy

39 is not too bad thank you, although digging a big hole whilst it was snowing was not a great way to spend your birthday

I get the sueing thing but how do you explain the reason for the exit only on the inside of a door sign?

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

True that.

A lot of the (common sense) signs and warnings are simply to cover one's arse.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   

For the same reason there are TP commercials and instructions on shampoo. Yes people are that stupid.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tiamat384
a reply to: Bluntone22
I damn well hope it does.

It would not surprise me if it did not these days.

I saw a food product with the warning "do not turn upside down" printed on the underside of the packaging once...

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

My favorite

In 1992, 79-year old Stella Liebeck became the poster child for frivolous litigation after filing a lawsuit against McDonald’s for serving coffee that was too hot. The public generally ridiculed Liebeck – the media hook was the story of an Albuquerque woman who cleaned up with $2.7 million for spilling coffee on herself. News stations took her to task, late night comedians had a field day.

I always though I could do the same my cigarette packet doesn't say : WARNING hot ash

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: jacygirl

It is what it is.
jacy

I get the sueing thing but how do you explain the reason for the exit only on the inside of a door sign?

Maybe because it's ONLY an exit if you're INSIDE? hehe...
If you're OUTSIDE then it's an ENTRANCE...no?

rofl, jacy

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Well how in the world does anyone see that without turning it upside down first? I suppose they could hold it overhead, but come on, what's easier?

I had an orange soda a week ago, Fanta I believe, it said, "No Juice" or something like that. Pure chems..

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

You are correct but what gets me is that some point there was a meeting and someone decided that there was a need to point this out and have signs printed and put on all the doors.

No one is that stupid, are they?

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   
It's meant to direct traffic. There must be some other door labelled as "Entrance Only". Again directing traffic. If there is no other door that means you can not enter, BUT you can exit. Go figure that one out.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

No one is that stupid, are they?

You are asking me? the girl who pushes when it says "pull", and "pulls" when it says push...?

Yeah hun, so many stupid people that it's frightening!

jacy

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
There's one on my blow dryer that says "Do not use in the shower".t
Those toilet paper commercials aren't real specific about how to use the product now that you mention it. By some commercials you rub it on your face to see it's nice and soft. Those blue Charmin bears come the closest with tissue stuck to their little blue hinnies.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

You just reminded me of this for some reason.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join