It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USC Cancels All-Star Game Industry Panel Due To Lack Of "Diversity"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   
All-Star Games Industry Panel Cancelled at Last Hour For Not Including Women

University of Southern California has cancelled an all-star event panel featuring several giants of the gaming industry. Their reason? It wasn’t diverse enough and an all-male panel “didn’t reflect both the diversity within the USC community and the games industry at large.”

The panel would have featured famous and important voices of the games industry such as Rob Pardo (former Blizzard CEO), Brandon Beck ( CEO & Co-Founder of Riot Games) and Peter Levin (President of Lionsgate Interactive) among others.

The University of Southern California has proved yet again that institutionalized stupidity is alive and well in America. Just mere hours before the event was scheduled to take place, faculty at the USC decided to cancel a live discussion Q&A panel featuring many of the biggest icons in modern Video Game design. Their reason? Not enough Women were on the panel.

This would have been a once in a lifetime opportunity for many aspiring students and developers to meet face to face with the industries top developers and entrepreneurs. Instead they decided to pander to a select group of people that probably didn't even plan on showing up to the event.

I get equality and diversity, I really do... but when it creates an environment so toxic that people can't even speak without checking their privilege, it's gone completely in the wrong direction.

So what do some of the USC students and other gaming industry enthusiasts have to say about this?

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I guess USC is no longer where you want to go to develop games because you can't get access to the top industry names and network in the interests of "diversity." That seems to be the lesson here.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   
For the love of all that is holy! Stop the ignorance train... I want to get off.

So they cut their students off from these people simply because they didn't have a "token" female present? Whatever will their students do when they enter the real world and the jobs they do, don't have equal amounts of males, females, asians, catholics, athiests, etc.?

Out of line. Out of touch. Out of control.
edit on 4/29/2016 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Bomb the inbox with your thoughts people: [email protected]

This is PC on steroids....

BTW - I would have said that she could have filled the seat of the female participant, but after looking at her pic, it still would have been an all male panel.

cinema.usc.edu...

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Sorry folks, show canceled 'because the girl didn't show up'?

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   
This is insane! The female students interested in gaming would have gained greatly from these individuals too! All USC has done has limited their female students access to true legends. Pushing the diversity agenda actually seems to me to be more harmful education wise than helpful.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   
It's time to remove the SJW cancer that has infested institutions of higher learning not only in America but in Europe as well.

A tiny minority has total control over them.

They should probably just declare these universities non-accredited.
edit on -050007am4kam by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Ok , how about they invite Morgan Webb ? She has been a consultant for Blizzard for years.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

But...

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
They would surely have canceled the event if the panel had been all women.

Right?

Uh,,, hello?

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Ok , how about they invite Morgan Webb ? She has been a consultant for Blizzard for years.

Maybe the GUY they chose was more qualified?

I know qualifications don't matter anymore.

Pathetic

edit on 4 29 2016 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   
What in the hell. Why didn't they think of this issue before creating the event? What a bunch of morons.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: LaWnOrDeR92
What in the hell. Why didn't they think of this issue before creating the event? What a bunch of morons.

They shouldn't have to pander to feminist parasites who have no interest in the actual events and seek only to control it for the sake of exercising their own power.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts
This is insane! The female students interested in gaming would have gained greatly from these individuals too! All USC has done has limited their female students access to true legends. Pushing the diversity agenda actually seems to me to be more harmful education wise than helpful.

Yes, exactly! My husband had that thought. How diverse was the student body seeing these exacs going to be, and why wouldn't that suffice for the diversity component? You can't foster diversity in an industry by hampering your students' ability to get into said industry by denying them opportunities.

Someone always has to be first.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

That's my point. Why would you create the event then go back on it just to be more diverse? You knew exactly who you were getting.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Its only fair that women be included.

You know who opposes including women in panel meetings? the moslem arabs/iranians who hide there women in kitchens.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: clevargenuis

I think it's fair to include the most qualified people who worked their entire lives to get to where they are, disregarding gender, color, or creed.

On that note a woman was included in the panel but backed out due to a scheduling conflict. So basically like intrptr said, the event was cancelled at the last minute "because the girl didn't show up".

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: CynConcepts

Yes, exactly! My husband had that thought. How diverse was the student body seeing these exacs going to be, and why wouldn't that suffice for the diversity component? You can't foster diversity in an industry by hampering your students' ability to get into said industry by denying them opportunities.

Someone always has to be first.

Yes! I could see USC canceling an event if it stated that ONLY male students could attend or ask questions! Sheesh, female students were not banned. This diversity mindset is confusing since they do allow safe places for many groups that actively bans some students from attending. Why the duplicity?

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

originally posted by: Gothmog

Maybe the GUY they chose was more qualified?

I know qualifications don't matter anymore.

Pathetic

How bout in addition to ? I am sure that there are women in the industry more qualified
We have an ex- CEO of Blizzard and for the most part Indie producers. Not well-known as of yet.
Pathetic and a
back atchya

edit on 4/29/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Good Grief! I watched that "privilege game' vid you put up earlier! Bells are ringing. In my head.

new topics

top topics

join