It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virtual Reality [PIC2016]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Non-Writer Status
Second Entry

Virtual Reality

The three young souls stood before the judges scared to death. They knew that their future could depend on what happened from this moment forward. None of them really thought that they would get this far. The final round, the final cut.
As the only guy they let Thomas go first. Well that's what they told him. They really did it because he was a nervous wreck and wouldn’t make it if they took him up on “Ladies First”. Anyway, on with the story.

As the judges slipped on their VR goggles they were quickly transported to a forest stripped bare by a harsh winter. Closer to the ground you could see signs of life, the beginning of spring. Small green buds were starting to show on the smaller trees. Some bushes were already full of budding flowers. To the left there is a small stream where a small herd of deer are either grazing on the bright green grass or drinking from the edges of the water.

Hmmmm, there is something upstream. Let’s flip into binocular mode.

Further upstream it seemed that we were witnessing a dinner lesson. Two large brown bears would jump into the stream, which was much stronger where they were. They would do this until they caught a fish. They would then release them. There were 3 cubs that would then jump in and repeat the process. It was adorable!!

Still using the binocular mode, look off to the right. Far off on the mountain there was a momma mountain lion enjoying the sun while her two little ones enjoyed a little freedom. They chased each other, jumped around on their mom, and acted like you would expect two siblings to act.

Removing the binocular mode they then received a message on their viewing screen, that if chosen this world could be completed when added as a standard world within the VRWorld Association.

Martha then walked around handing out her colorful VR goggles to all of the judges.

Once everyone had their goggles in place Martha turned on her program. Everyone was standing at the base of "Le génie du mal", the Genius of Evil, the "Lucifer of Liège”. They had NOT been expecting this.

As they walk forward they are amazed at the attention to detail. While looking at the statue a voice begins speaking in their ears:

“It might be easy to mistake the Lucifer of Liège for one of the saints that ring the front of the pulpit, where Peter, Paul, Hubert, and Lambert reside. But the details reveal his true identity — the curved walls at his sides are bat wings, the apple at his feet has been bitten, his chained toes are sharp like claws and small yet tell-tale horns emerge from beneath his hair.”

The program then began to give us a quick tour and history of the Cathedral of Saint Paul. It was a unique experience as many will never have the chance to visit Liege Belgium.

Rose said that her program would work with Martha’s goggles so they could leave them on unless they would just like to switch them out for new ones. Only one judge switched so Rose was ready quickly.

As her program began to play you were quickly transported to a haunted house. Soft whispers can be heard in the background along with light scratching that seems to come from the walls. It sounds as if someone is right behind you but when you turn all you see are more cobwebs. The lights flicker on and off. They barely cast enough light to navigate through the house. Scenes of graphic horror flash in strobe like fashion, making you unsure which way to turn. But you have to pick, because something is coming up behind you fast, you can hear it!

Each person will have the possibility of different experiences as it is based on the paths you take within the house. I made the mistake of going down the Hall of Dolls!

OK ATS, so you be the judge… Who has the best Virtual Reality???

edit on 4/29/2016 by Martin75 because: Fixed a couple things

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

I like the first one because it has not fear built into the scenario like the other two.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I will keep a tally of the vote. When the full contest is over I will have an ending based on the winner.

edit on 4/29/2016 by Martin75 because: Opps

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75 I liked Rose's VR the best because it was soo scary!

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: peppycat
Thank you for reading and voting!!

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 01:42 AM
link   
The bear one sounds interesting. Then again, the Hall of Dolls sounds interesting too.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark
Skid you are close enough for me to beat the answer out of you! LOL
You have to pick one!!

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Flip a coin. LOL. I'm an a hole. Okay, okay. The dolls.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:01 AM
link   
That's a draw between the clean happy nature scene that the coming of VR heralds the time nature no longer looks like this or thrives like this and VR will be the only way to experience this if old national geographics and Arizona highways aren't kinesthetic enough for you. And the other victor (order unimportant) is a program where I can check out architecture and landmarks the world over without the usual 5k I end up spending on a round of sightseeing. This one would be superior to the other two by far if it also had the capability to show me these places at different periods in history. I would just die to go see the shops of Tangier in the 1920s, the medieval apostolic palace before Alexander started the trickle of renaissance into it which of course took over the place and a medieval fair in France pre Francis I for the same reasons...other than Toledo, carcassonne, the tower of London, or my family's home Patmos, its really hard to find a completely preserved medieval city full of gothic and earlier inspired castles, cathedrals, charming stained glass, tapestries, or frescoes made before the whole rediscovery of 3d art, mathematically perfect anatomies, or less imposing, more fancy pants castles and churches. I won't ramble on though since its NOT what the program is about and I doubt your purpose for the vote is to get people pushing an option #4.

Back to the scenario, my favorite genre of film is horror. I have seen every horror film you can think of with the exception of a handful I had to walk out of or turn off since for a horror movie buff, I sure don't have the stomach for A. Needless gore that does nothing to support the plot or increase my sense of anticipation and suspense...Saw is a good example of gore I COULD sit through albeit with both hands over my eyes cracking a viewing slot between my fingers once every five seconds. The unique storyline was enough to justify some pretty gross scenes, in ten views however I have no idea what happens when Amanda is shoved into the pit of a thousand syringes...I have yet to succeed in NOT burying my face plugging my ears and screaming hum dee hum hum la la la la la until in certain its over. And I can't do B. Movies with extremely disturbing components that i don't see as things to be entertained by. Children dying violent deaths or deaths actually portrayed in the film and not just suggested by parents crying over a snot covered teddy bear. Two movies even as a guy that made me realize just how much more violating and evil rape is than I ever imagined when long graphic rape scenes were included with the dialogue between the two just as disturbing as the act neither of which I made more than sixty seconds into before I swore off the movie. And lastly just a few times that cruelty and heartlessness was just all too real and it got me so acutely depressed and cynical of the world I didn't want to carry that with me. Don't remember any examples now but I'm guessing they were true stories. Its fun being scared but its just sad being shown the real evil that some have suffered living through which in glad to say I don't get a kick out of, is not like myself all that much if I did.

I say all that because I used to love horror games when growing up- The7th Guest, Phantasmagoria, Shivers, uninvited, Friday the 13, Sins of the Fathers, The Beast Within, but especially since I was grown up come the time of your Resident Evils and modern horror and given in already a synonym of "kitty cat" as far as a horror buff able to be scared but not disturbed, I have a feeling being in a virtual world something was chasing me in footsteps getting louder or hearing a breath behind me,,,well I can tell you judging from the many dreams I've thankfully burst out of into the waking world unable to recall a time I stayed and enjoyed it...im almost certain ill give VR horror one chance but won't ever return after being traumatized. Plus if I can be in an old tyme world (see how I spelled it even, huh?) and be a Link fighting to save a Zelda character that's enough horror for me bit includes a fantasy and other worldly aspect that I could appreciate for hours on end even if it weren't a game but simply a way to observe and experience another time or world. So maybe in fact that tie should go #2 winner, #1 runner up, and #3 use as punishment should I commit a crime. Slap those goggles on me 24 hours and ill never _____ again!

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Great!
Good one Martin!

House of dolls for me, please!

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Wow amazing. I love your story!!

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
What a great and novel way to present the story.
I most liked the idea of Martha's view of amazing places. Architecture and places. I'd love to see a VR world of Ancient Egypt as it really was, even if just to see how close it is to what I imagine it to be.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: AlexandrosTheGreat
Thank you for taking the time to respond and the amazing response. VR can open up so many doors and give us the abilities to “see” what we were unable to before.

a reply to: TNMockingbird
Thank you sweetie! When you sent that message last night the idea just “popped” into my head

a reply to: Quantum12
Thank you Quant!!! I used all of your time travels to give me an idea to go from. Which story is your vote?

a reply to: JustMike
Mike, thank you so much!!! Yes, I think I would pick Martha’s. In researching where the picture came from I really enjoyed the pictures of the Cathedral of Saint Paul.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Here's a virtual tour of St Vitus Cathedral in Prague. It's a wonderful place to visit and has a great history. The present building was started in the mid 14th century on the site of an older one. It took about 600 years to finish, but is truly awe-inspiring.

edit on 29/4/16 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: JustMike
OMG Mike thank you!!! Amazing!! Who knew I would learn so much from a writing contest!!

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Marty!! How awesome!!

I must go against my better judgement, lol...and vote for the hall of dolls!
Utterly creepy and also apparently the favourite choice...ya bunch of sicko's, hehe...

S&F&Good luck!
jacy

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl
Thank you so very much sweetie!!! Yes, we have a sick bunch of people; don't you love em!!!! And yes, I see a hall of dolls story in my future....

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   

LOL but the dolly dip in my story time traveled and came back to slap me silly!

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Great take on the story.
I'd go with the forest.
I like being outdoors even if it's only VR.

new topics

top topics

join