It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Men and women in the military and physical standards

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: SmurfRider

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: SmurfRider

The physical standards in the military should be equal across the board that's the point your not making any sense

I totally agree, there literally shouldn't be any restrictions. That's what basic fricken training is for.

I see... you're just trolling.

Let me be more specific. You're not even attempting to face the points OQ is making, instead warping his words to try and get a rise out of him.

You know what he meant, and it wasn't something you're agreeing with.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Probably for the same reason that they become more lenient as you age.

The physical reqs for general boot camp are about ensuring a certain minimum level of physical fitness, and the hallmarkers of that level are going to vary by age and gender.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

If you want to serve, they should let you serve. If you can't make it through bootcamp, then your out or you do bootcamp as long as it takes to build up the strength & skills necessary. That is my point. Is the OP hoping for someone to question him & show him why women should have lower standards? There's no reason to disagree with anything he said, my point is that it is a very narrow minded viewpoint (despite how applicable it might be to the way things are currently done. The electoral college exists also so discussing changing modern policy in anything government related is futile) again, what's the point of this thread except to demean women & the MICs current policies? OP just hoping for some mental group masturbation Imo

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Jesus Christ can't I go one day in my life with people not thinking me expressing myself is trolling ugh

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   

I'm not sure. He's a good guy and I would think he's speaking to certain positions.

I have a feeling you guys agree with each other and it's just wording.

I remember when I was getting a ride from the Marine recruiter to take the ASVAB and him telling me that women in the Marines are badasses. They ARE, they just don't get certain jobs for a myriad of reasons. I didn't join, took a different path, sort of regret it and sort of don't.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Apparently trying to expand on an idea is worthy of beratement. Let's keep everything one freaking dimensional I guess.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion
On the one hand I say, if women want equality then let them die like men. Hell, I don't want to hear anything about men not understanding abortion until women serve more than men(at a specific time and not history). But then I also think women should be held to the same standards as men,

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Alright ya dragged me out from lurking!

Firstly i think you are taking the physical standards at face value. I did mine i passed mine and went through it and never thought it was about it being difficult. The physical test simply tests to see if you can reach a certain threshold of strength relative to your gender. the numbers are different when looked at plainly BUT if you looked at them of percentages over average they make more sense. lets say (RANDOM NUMBERS JUST FOR EXAMPLE) the avr male can do 1000 pushups and the avr female can do 100 pushups (YET AGAIN JUST RANDOM NUMBERS) and if i said to join the military you need to be 10% above average you will get 1110 pushups and 110 pushups for each gender respectively. so technically they are trying to discern between who can push them selves with a certain amount of determination. BECAUSE WITH THAT DETERMINATION ONCE YOU HIT ACTUAL TRAINING YOU ARE PREPARED FOR COMBAT.

TLDR: The military is more interested in your determination to beat the average they will train and even out the strength field later due to objectives..

p.s. im not bothered about the fact of why you even care about something so trivial. I am bothered by the girl who made you this lol. jokes. nonethe less relax.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:03 AM
link   

The reason they have physical requirements is so that they can perform specific jobs..

Such as dragging an injured soldier out of a live battlefield

So how can someone half the size and strength of someone accomplish that task?

You don't get it youve probably never served but that's a reality for soldiers.

The same standard should apply across the board.

Women are better fighters than men. They have better stamina, better endurance, and better pain tolerance. It helps that you don't need many muscles to pull a trigger either. Where women lose out is in the physical strength aspect and pregnancy can be pretty debilitating. I would say that if we're serious about putting women in combat we should do a couple things.

In the Navy we should segregate the ships, all men ships and all women ships. It's just a bad idea to mix the two.

Do the same to the army/marines. Divide divisions by gender, put men in the support style roles where you're going to have to drag an injured comrade more often. Put women in the roles where they're more likely to be shooting at the enemy. That still mixes them on base which will lead to issues, but it's a start.

The physical standards in the military should be equal across the board that's the point your not making any sense

Not true, a woman is going to be able to drag another woman before she can drag a man. If you set up your squads/battalions right, that's all you need to accomplish. Remember, a woman doesn't need to be able to drag the biggest person on the base, she just needs to be able to drag the biggest person in her unit (in most cases), and structuring units in a certain way (mainly along gender lines) goes a long way towards alleviating that issue.
edit on 29-4-2016 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: birhan

So if she doesn't pass the same physical requirement how can she drag her fellow soldier 100 yards whos 190 lbs of dead weight when she's 125 lbs and not required to be equally strong?

You guys are greatly misunderstanding the point.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Wow sexual segregation. It hadn't even occurred to me at all. It's actually totally genius. Don't let Hillary hear you though, that's just asking for trouble.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384

The point is not weather or not they serve the point is meeting the same physical standard in order to accomplish related tasks in battle.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   
That is your point and had you read my response you'd see I'm agree. I'm adding input. Argh! Do you just want people to agree with you and say no more than that you are right?

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   

whos to say her fireteam partner is going to be 190lb. what if they are 125lb?

Honestly, relax on the extremism. Sure when you bring extreme examples things like that will happen BUT yet again this is WHY we train to avoid these situations.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: AnIntellectualRedneck

No you don't get it.

In a combat situation you HAVE to be physically able to accomplish specific task such as grabbing someone's hand and helping them up onto a roof or dragging an unconscious body throw mud or water.

Things like that require strength

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: birhan

You don't think army rangers are going to experience extreme examples ??

Do you know what their saying is?

I know from the SEAL program the problems of relaxing the standards and it's really serious for those people.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   

So my first question is why does the military have physical readiness test standards ton begin with?

Good question!
It is surely obsolete in this day of cowardly sniping and unmanned drone operators!
And I meant it like it sounds!
No one wrestles an enemy!
If so, you are already dead/screwed!
We push buttons from multi-thousand dollar chairs!
Yeah, the kids love to play with the weaponry, and it is a huge industry, but the cannon fodder of our brainwashed, unable to think for themselves kids is completely unnecessary.
They are 'merchandise'!
And all that physical training is, basically, irrelevant for the vast majority of the troops.
Perhaps training ten percent of the men and 'built' women, who can easily train equally with the men?

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Good point.

That might be an option.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   

I am just going to ask you flat out

have you served and did you have issues with women?

Has anyone that you know served personally told you of a story where what you are describing has happened to them?

are people asked to complete different requirements in order to pass courses to be qualified for a role over seas?

edit on 29-4-2016 by birhan because: completely avoidable corrections my bad

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

The reason they have physical requirements is so that they can perform specific jobs..

Such as dragging an injured soldier out of a live battlefield

So how can someone half the size and strength of someone accomplish that task?

You don't get it youve probably never served but that's a reality for soldiers.

The same standard should apply across the board.

Women are better fighters than men. They have better stamina, better endurance, and better pain tolerance. It helps that you don't need many muscles to pull a trigger either. Where women lose out is in the physical strength aspect and pregnancy can be pretty debilitating. I would say that if we're serious about putting women in combat we should do a couple things.

In the Navy we should segregate the ships, all men ships and all women ships. It's just a bad idea to mix the two.

Do the same to the army/marines. Divide divisions by gender, put men in the support style roles where you're going to have to drag an injured comrade more often. Put women in the roles where they're more likely to be shooting at the enemy. That still mixes them on base which will lead to issues, but it's a start.

Not true, a woman is going to be able to drag another woman before she can drag a man. If you set up your squads/battalions right, that's all you need to accomplish. Remember, a woman doesn't need to be able to drag the biggest person on the base, she just needs to be able to drag the biggest person in her unit (in most cases), and structuring units in a certain way (mainly along gender lines) goes a long way towards alleviating that issue.

OneQuestion, you have addressed everyone but this response. Do you fear that it will bring an end to your thread? I find it quite legitimately solves your problem.

You posted about it same time as this jab. Disregard.
edit on 29-4-2016 by SmurfRider because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join