It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colledge education does not make you a better person.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   
In another thread, I admitted that I never went to college (I did go to trade school, though I really didn't have to for the kind of work I do). As a result of my comment, a few members insinuated that due to my lack of a college education, I am somehow ignorant and less qualified as a voter. This of course was in response to a comment that I made about the vast majority of voters being ignorant to how our political system really works (as opposed to how it is supposed to work).

I have a real problem with people who think that non-college graduates are somehow ignorant by default. I started off in a very strict private school from pre-K to 2nd grade. In those few years, I had already learned more than your average public school 5th grader will be taught. Once private school became too expensive, I was placed in public school from 3rd grade to High School Graduation.

From 3rd grade to 8th grade, I was a straight-A student, but by the time I reached 10th grade, the public school system wore my patience out. I stopped caring, stopped doing homework, and got by with a C average by Acing my tests. By the time graduation came around, I resented public education so much that I refused to attend the ceremony. I simply picked up my diploma the next day, dusted my shoes off and walked away.

I could have gone to college. My family wasn't rich, but they were willing and capable to pay for the education, but I still refused. Instead, I went to a 9 month Pharmacy Technician program, passed the PTCB certification exam and moved four states away from home. That was 11 years ago. To this day, I still have friends in my home neighborhood of Little Havana (Miami, Fl) who graduated from college/university and still can't make it on their own. Many of them still living with parents in debt up to their eye balls. The Lord has made me more prosperous than anyone I personally know during a time when prosperity is fleeting.

So why did I refuse a college education???

The answer is, because I refuse to pay an organization to teach me something that I can teach myself by reading a book. My area of interest in is dead Biblical languages. For anyone who might be learning Ancient Hebrew or Koine Greek, chances are that I know things that 99% of Biblical scholars and professors cannot teach you....and I learned all of it from the guidance for the Holy Spirit and information that is readily available to EVERYONE.

I know things about American History that they simply do not teach in schools anymore.

I know things about Pharmacology that they simply do not teach in Pharmacy Schools anymore.

I'm not typing these things to pat myself on the back. You probably know more than I do in other areas. I just think that an American college education is way overrated, overvalued, and ridiculously overpriced.

So the next time someone tells you they never had a college education, don't pity them, don't look down on them, don't assume that you are somehow more capable or privileged than they are. You never know what they really know or what their capabilities are. Some people are stupid, some aren't. College can't fix stupid.
edit on 28-4-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: Typos

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

I know things about American History that they simply do not teach in schools anymore.

I know things about Pharmacology that they simply do not teach in Pharmacy Schools anymore.

What would that be? Just curious.

No one should be looked down upon for not going to college, it isn't for everyone. That is also a two way street, people shouldn't be looked down upon for going either.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   
America wins = never ending war til the planet resources get sucked dry. That is the truth.

We already got so many suicide over people losing jobs to oil. If they can't find something else to work it is obviously your country is a mess and attempting to brainwash the masses that they have decent jobs. In reality you have to change jobs eventually. You can't stay drilling for oil, selling fast food ,etc. These things don't come out of no where. College doesn't even teach any of those basics on how to farm and create your own stuff. It is a mess.

edit on 28-4-2016 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Once I got into an debate with a Pharmacist about how probiotics support the immune system. The 35 year old Pharmacist kept insisting that probiotics replace the yeast (which is a fungus) that is 'supposed' to exist in the gut. I told him that probiotics are designed to replace the normal flora that the American diet and antibiotics kill off. In fact, probiotics help to fight yeast.

In American history, few people realize that the Constitutional Convention was a Federalist plot to replace the Articles of Confederation as the national legal system. The initial drafts of the Constitution never included a Bill of Rights (which guarantees all citizens basic human rights) until the Anti-Federalist members of the Convention refused to approve a Constitution lacking a Bill of Rights.

Also, the US Civil war was not really about slavery. It was a power struggle between the Industrialized North and the Rural South. The Dred Scot decision ruled that Federal courts could not regulate slavery in states...therefore states could make their own decision about the legality slaver. Slaver was an issue that would have resolved itself.

Then there is Judicial Review. Most people don't realize that we don't need to win elections to protect our rights. The process of Judicial Review is much faster and more effective.

I think college is an honorable thing, but it has its place. I would really want doctors, surgeons, and the operators of NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS to go to college. That seems kinda important to me.

edit on 28-4-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: added point

edit on 28-4-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: typos

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Right I agree with you. I have a friend who went all the way up and is a Doctor. He is rotten to the core. He is a good looking person.

My best friend never went to college and is the kindest person. He is also self made and wealthy. He dresses like he is poor. Not a good looking person on the outside but inside he is beautiful.

Thank you Sremmons80, I always enjoy your thoughts!

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   

In another thread, I admitted that I never went to college (I did go to trade school, though I really didn't have to for the kind of work I do). As a result of my comment, a few members insinuated that due to my lack of a college education, I am somehow ignorant and less qualified as a voter.

A few members...? It was more like one new member calling you out.
You made the claim that being a home owner somehow(which by the way you never really elaborated on this)makes you more qualified to vote...So now your all upset and made this thread because someone showed you how silly your arbitrary standard is.

I'm not typing these things to pat myself on the back.

No you did it so others could do it for you...That's why this thread exists in the rant section and not education.
edit on 4pm30America/Chicago3010America/Chicagopm441 by NateTheAnimator because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Not so sure they don't teach those things, Idk about the probiotics, a quick Google search said a mix of what you are.

The civil war wasn't only about slavery sure, but it was most def a factor, a large one. The states wanted their right to not abolish it. You think slaves would of had the choice to move to a different state if they didn't want to be a slave anymore?

Oh and the constitution is also taught as not having the bill of rights in the first edition.
edit on thThu, 28 Apr 2016 23:01:56 -0500America/Chicago420165680 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: NateTheAnimator

I've seen ATSers flash their college education around as a badge of honor, as if it makes their opinions more valid than other.

I understand that my opinions are very unpopular to put it lightly, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm wrong.

edit on 28-4-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: typos

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I take pride in telling people I've dropped out of 3 universities. I also tell them money is evil & I want nothing to do with it. The education industrial complex is a joke starting with preschool. I was born left handed & forced to use my right hand in kindergarten & ive had a sour taste in my mouth about schooling ever since. I was a far above average student until about 10th/11th grade when the facade of what life actually is in modern era began to wane. I had a lot of ambition when I was younger & now I have experienced a lot, but accomplished very little. I'm totally ok with that. I refuse to partake in what society has become & has no end in sight.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   

I've seen ATSers flash their college education around as a badge of honor, as if it makes their opinions more valid than other.

Sure I've seen it too and you know what,It doesn't bother me as their opinions aren't more valid.
However let's be real,would you take medical advice for a tumor from a neurologist who was taught in a prestigious university or pediatrician who was self-taught working on small young animals? In a way some people's opinions have more merit than others.

I understand that my opinions are very unpopular to put it lightly, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm wrong.

Glad you have some semblance of self awareness... Was almost worried there.
There's no popularity contest,there's no beauty pageant either so there's no need to soften up the language. You can be harsh..This is the rant section remember.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   
My dad is a genius scientist. My mom and sisters also went to college. I think both my sisters have their masters.I was in college in 1977 and dropped out because it was boring. went to live in Hawaii, working in resturants and surfing by day.I came back to Cali and went to work as a steel worker, and have been on the same job over 35 years. Mom is gone now, but, my sisters and my dad are very proud of me and ask my advice more then just from time to time.
Life is learning if you pay attention

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

I known you and your and are the kindest people on the planet, smart too!

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum12
a reply to: visitedbythem

I known you and your and are the kindest people on the planet, smart too!

Thank You my Friend!

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Ugh, no priobiotics are live bacteria and yeasts that are good for your health, especially your digestive system.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Noinden

Ya it was my understanding it was bacteria but wasn't sure about the yeast part.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I stand by a lot of what I said in the op, but I think I really should have kept it to myself, locked in the back of my mind. I think I need a break from ATS. Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   
No offense and I agree completely that college education doesn't make one more intelligent or aware than someone who didn't, but everything you listed here is common knowledge. Isn't it?

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest
College can't fix stupid.

Amen, brother!

A 'higher education' CAN make you 'better suited' ('better person' is so vague and meaningless) for certain occupations; brain surgery, for instance.

There are many, many, many, many... "well educated fools"!

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Just wait until our brains are chipped & directly connect to google with a mere thought. "Education" will be a thing of the past

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:50 AM
link   

But you didn't go, so how do you know?

Pharmacy Techs make under $30,000 a year on average.

Average wage for someone with a degree is $45,000.

Average cost for in state public college is

top topics

<<   2 >>

join