It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are homophobes "born that way"?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
hey just a thought I had that I'd like to share. You know...i keep reading a lot about homophobia, transphobia etc.

My idea is what if SCIENCE one day discoveres that people who dont like lgbts are simply hardwired that way? like they were literally born that way and cannot change?

would it then be an act of bigotry to NOT accept "homophobes" and "transphobes"? they cant help it if they were born that way?

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   
People are not born homophobic, they are taught to be that way by society. That's like saying a Red Sox fan was born hating the Yankees.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
People are not born homophobic, they are taught to be that way by society.

yeah okay but heres the thing- what iF science discovers homophobia is Also genetic like homosexuality?

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   

People are not born homophobic, they are taught to be that way by society.

BS. No one taught me to throw up in my mouth at the site of two men swapping spit.

That's like saying a Red Sox fan was born hating the Yankees.

Apples to blueberries.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I object to the word "homophobic." You are attempting to set the agenda using a word that in any other context, would be termed racist. It's like using the "N" word. It's completely judgmental. The word "phobic" means "fearful." If you have a phobia of snakes, you fear them. People who oppose homosexuality and all its offshoots are not "fearful" of them; they just don't like them. And for many, it's a moral issue. I know that YOU don't appreciate that, but they are as opposed to homosexuality as YOU are for it. So the question really is, why are YOU so fearful of people who object to it?

Do you call liberals "conservophobes"? Do you call conservatives "libophobes"? Of course not. So why do you insist using a pejorative word to describe people who have an affinity for hetrosexuals? Why are you such hypocrites? It puts the lie to your entire agenda.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted
BS. No one taught me to throw up in my mouth at the site of two men swapping spit.

Exactly Man. So what if this reaction is genetic and theres no way to change it? Then the world has to embrace so called homophobia as normal!

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

So two girls kissing make you throw up in your mouth? If not, why?

If you were born to throw up in your mouth then what's so hard to understand about people being born gay?
edit on 4/28/2016 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: clevargenuis

originally posted

Exactly Man. So what if this reaction is genetic and theres no way to change it? Then the world has to embrace so called homophobia as normal!

ALSO Nobody "taught" me about homosexuality i instinctivly knew it was gross. I was born that way and I cant help it!!
edit on 28-4-2016 by clevargenuis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I've observed that fighting for the gay cause is an ongoing thing.

That's because bigots breed bigots. It doesn't matter how much more tolerant society as a whole becomes, there will always be some who will not accept gay people and they don't hesitate to indoctrinate their kids.

The earlier these attitudes are instilled in children the more ingrained they will be.

And so the fight goes on - generation by generation.

So, no, I don't think homophobes are born that way I think they are taught to be that way.

I don't know about transphobia. It's (transgender) a relatively new thing and I think there is a lot to be learnt about it. Until the majority have a better understanding of it I suppose acceptance will be slow. It's hard to imagine people would be naturally transphobic without a bit of help in that direction, though.

edit on 28-4-2016 by berenike because: clarification

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: clevargenuis

It is actually intuitively correct. The reason parents may have a difficult time with their children being homosexual, is because millions of years of evolution has instinctively hardwired humans to value reproduction; fundamentally one of the most important aspects of biological creatures is reproduction, no reproduction at all, no life.

Though, times are different now as they have ever been, and throughout history is has been accepted, by populations and parents that some children do not grow up and reproduce.

And now even and increasingly there may be ways for homosexuals to reproduce with surrogates and stuff.

But still... That does not matter at all. A person being disgusted to know that homosexuals exist and have homes together and do things in their own home, is as meaningless as a person being disgusted anyone does anything in their home that does not physically harm others.

Are you suggesting banning gays from kissing in public, is that the crux of this focus? ... well... at least the male gays right. and democratically determined ugly female gays...
edit on 28-4-2016 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   

What about two girls swapping spit, does that make you throw up in your mouth?

No it doesn't. Is that upsetting to you?

If not, why?

I honestly have no idea, but I can't wait to hear your assumptions.

If you weren't taught to throw up in your mouth when you see two guys kissing but were born that way, what's so hard to understand about those two guys being born gay? And transgender people? Maybe they were born with the mind of the opposite sex.

I mean, you WERE born to throw up in your mouth, so it's fair to say they were born to like it.

Who's saying they weren't? Did I make that claim?

edit on 28-4-2016 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: berenike
And so the fight goes on - generation by generation.

What fight would that be exactly?

The fight for control of the last few cubic inches of space that free people still have control over? My grey matter belongs to me and me alone.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   

So, no, I don't think homophobes are born that way I think they are taught to be that way.
how do you know what went on in a homophobes mind??

youre jumping to conclusions, like how a few decades ago ,people thought homosexuals
were taught their behaviour.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I didnt know the case was closed on the whole gay is a genetic thing?

Is hating Asians genetic, black people, Germans, Russians, religious or any bigotry reason?

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: clevargenuis
I love the context of your thread mate...cheers for that ... made my day!
What double standards? Hahahahahaha....
Round and around we go... what a sad species we are....

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   

My best guess about why a guy seeing two girls gettin' it on doesn't find it gross is because somewhere, in the back of their mind, they think somehow they might get in on that action.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I think eating in public should be banned because I have a genetic condition that makes me sick to my stomach when I see other people eating. I also have such a condition when I see other people breathing. It also makes me throw up to see peoples eyes and skin in public.

This is why the law is important, and why true democratic law is scary, and likely why there exists a system of representatives, who do not really represent the true totality of peoples democratic wishes, but get together and collectively plan what is best for the united big businesses of america.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: clevargenuis

how do you know what went on in a homophobes mind??

youre jumping to conclusions, like how a few decades ago ,people thought homosexuals
were taught their behaviour.

I haven't jumped to a conclusion. I said 'I think' which indicates that it is my opinion based on my observations.

If I observe anything in future to contradict my current opinion then I will change it.

I had no idea that anyone thought that homosexuals were taught that behaviour. What people thought such a thing?

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

There are plenty of people who believe gay people aren't born that way but choose to be that way. If you're not one of those people then ignore my question.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

My best guess about why a guy seeing two girls gettin' it on doesn't find it gross is because somewhere, in the back of their mind, they think somehow they might get in on that action.

Yes, likely because; Man is attracted to woman... 2 women.... man is twice as attracted.... man competes with man for women, man does not usually have to compete with women for women (likely why there was controversy with women rights and women in the workplace, because men had to then compete with women, and how can they impress other women if other women can do their job), so two women making out, there is no male threat, there is no potential lack of value or care, and it seems we are dealing with, not with love and family (though polyamory does exist), but in such circumstances it appears it is purely in relation to the potential of pleasure. Perhaps certain men would not enjoy it if their female significant other was found making out with another women, some men would. Depends if they would feel threatened, that love would be stolen from them, but if its purely a pleasure thing.... but then that begs the question, if its purely a pleasure thing, but yeah, this gets more and more complex and convoluted, and there are people in the world that represent all these possible combinations of inlooks and outlooks and reasoning and circumstances, and regrets, and changes of mind, and certainty, and ignorance of self and others etc.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join