It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Rover Opportunity camera catches UFO?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jessemole

Originally posted by meshuggah1324
As a side note: on CNN just now they said jokingly "a flying saucer has landed on Titan" I found it kinda weird that they would say that. ?

Is there anyone else here that can confirm that? I have the notion to send a e-mail to verify this...(CNN) anyway you look at it, those play on words will need to be explain... Where is the Joke? Why suggest otherwise?

I think they're just referring to the Huygens probe that landed on Titan this morning. The media has been covering it in detail all day.

Originally posted by Der Kapitan
Before I run my mouth I have a question. I didn't see in the thread anywhere (obvious to me) of the pic with the object directly from a NASA site. Is there such a source? What's the origin of the "Lyle" archive?

Yes, i posted a link to it in my first post. Here it is again:

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

The strange thing is, the uncensored version of the image is only viewable on the educational (for kids) NASA site. The image prepared for the press (that's what the Lyle archive is i assume) has the sky totally blackened out. NASA has an explanation for this, but some claim it's not a valid explanation. Here's the image prepared for the press:

lyle.org...

This is a second site I found, when searching the image file name using Google, the site seems to be providing images to the Press, . It has the image containing the section with unidentified sky object blacked out. Why would that be? Not sure yet. This is the same JPEG with the anomaly having the upper part of the image blacked. What is interesting is if you go to www.lyle.org, there is no actual web site. The Mars stuff is buried under a specific directory. www.lyle.org...

Read about NASA’s explanation about the blacked out portions here, and our take from a computer technology point of view why it doesn't look valid.

SOURCE

[edit on 14/1/05 by Meteor_of_War]

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Thanks Meteor, trying to do too much at once!

Well that changes things a bit. Don't know what to think.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
no prob...i as well am not sure what to think, need more info.

I just wanted to point out to everyone else that checks this thing out, make sure to also read the blog i posted a link to with the summary of the analysis so far. It explains a lot!

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Do you think that NASA blacked out the image to intercept a flap starting over this image? Maybe, regardless of what that object is, they don't publicly "believe" the UFO thing. So they stop it before it starts?

It didn't work.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
hahahaha
come on guys is just a weather ballon.....yes...on mars...lol
j/k

deny ignorance!!!!

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
NASA is a public organization (supposedly): by law it requires to post all the findings it gathers to the public, keeping nothing away. That's why the images are even posted at all. As for "dust", "meteors", "global surveyors" and other empty hypotheses that our highly qualified astronomers in this forum have concocted with authority: if it was a prosaic explanation, NASA would not go through the risk and hard work or editing the image out of their official pictures.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Pavel, when mentioning this..." our highly qualified astronomers in this forum ", are you refering to those that are on this site? or the Nasa opinion?
Just wanted to clarify, there are allot of experts on this Forum... (This site) verses what others offer.. Media I guess.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Pavel, when mentioning this..." our highly qualified astronomers in this forum ", are you refering to those that are on this site? or the Nasa opinion?

Where's CmdrKeenkid when ya' need him!

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Yeah and it looked like it crashed or something Source

[edit on 14-1-2005 by Thug69]

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdrumrunner

Originally posted by iksmodnad

Originally posted by ShadowMan
...it could be one of those cigar shaped ufo's thats what it looks like to me..

That's what it looked like to me as well when I enlarged the image in Photoshop...

Yes normally photoshop can be the scape goat for most of this stuff, but not in this case this came from one of NASA's website. They are a government organization and do not hoax around.

Uh, I'm not sure why you're telling em this, considering I'm stating I used Photoshop to enlarge the image for my own viewing.

sorry I misunderstood your post.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
here's the latest NASA pic of Saturn's moon Titan. Taken today by Huygen and relayed to Earth by Cassini.

saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...

Both sides of the picture look blacked out

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Yeah, i've seen many NASA pictures from the Mars mission with blackened out parts. NASA's explanation for this is that it "happens when the rover transmits the picture and some of the data is missing. The rover is supposed to transmit the data later".

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by iksmodnadsorry I misunderstood your post.

No worries.

Since I'm posting, does anybody know anyone firsthand who can provide a professional photogrammetic analysis? In this particular instance, someone with that expertise could more or less nullify NASA's explanation of a "video artifact" if they could determine otherwise...

This would be a very nice asset for the board, given the wealth of anomolous data that finds its way to the site...

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   
i dont think its a bad transmission error but, the probe has 3cameras that shoot pics and then they are pasted by nasa into a mosaic so it might just be that they didnt get that shoot.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Since I'm posting, does anybody know anyone firsthand who can provide a professional photogrammetic analysis? In this particular instance, someone with that expertise could more or less nullify NASA's explanation of a "video artifact" if they could determine otherwise...

Oh yes, i'm waiting on that too. I want some answers damnit!

My theory though is NASA's definitely taken notice to this little anomaly and has top guys analyzing it. If they figure out what it is and it's nothing more than an image artifact of some sort we should eventually get some word on it...if we hear nothing, i'd say it's safe to assume it's what we all hope it is and they dont want anyone to know anymore of it.

BTW i also agree that having some kind of image analyzing expert on the forum would be outstanding.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Great find Meteor_of_War. I have to agree with The Matrix, it could possibly be saucer shaped, it could be 3 saucer shaped objects flying in formation. It most definatley looks matalic.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by meshuggah1324
As a side note: on CNN just now they said jokingly "a flying saucer has landed on Titan" I found it kinda weird that they would say that. ?

Thats probably due to the fact that the Huygens spacecraft IS shaped like a saucer.

-Dagger

[edit on 14-1-2005 by Dagger]

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Fascinating. My first thought, on a quick glance, was dust speck on the lernse till I looked closer, and magnified the pic........not a dust speck after all, and appears to be distant from the camera lens.

Indeed....looks like they are gonna have one hell of a time explaining this one. Maybe they will come up with the old crap: Its the planet Venus or swamp gas.....which will make me laugh.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   
What if it's a cigar shaped UFO with its engines underneath? The additional shape on top doesn't add up. And its nose is there, proving that it's larger than those 3 disks.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by kode

I have to agree with The Matrix, it could possibly be saucer shaped, it could be 3 saucer shaped objects flying in formation. It most definatley looks matalic.

I dont think so kode, i think the "three" parts of the object that you see are just from the blown up pixels of the image since it was angled in the pic.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join