It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Rover Opportunity camera catches UFO?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Recieved this in an email today and wanted to share with the ATS Aliens and UFO's section.

On December 22, Unknowncountry published a story from NASA about the fact that something was keeping the Mars Rover Opportunity's solar panels clean. It could be that this had to do with Opportunity's location, and now that it has moved, the panels will start to get dusty again.

But now there's another anomaly up there, and this one is a little harder to explain.

When NASA showed this picture to the press, they cut off the crucial area that you see here, stating that it contained a video artifact.

You are looking at an artifact, all right, but it is almost certainly not in the video image but in the Martian sky.

Why do we say this? Because it is pixel-consistent with the area of image around it. If it is an artifact, NASA needs to explain what in their system produces such artifacts, and to demonstrate how this process works.

Otherwise, the apparent presence of a cylindrical object in the Martian sky of a type that is often videotaped as a UFO on earth must be explained in some other way...

The original image is on NASAS Mars Opportunity website--without the blacked out area...at least, at the moment. To look at it, click on our picture above. If your email server strips off our pictures, you should see a live text link. If not, you can get to the same place via the story below.

click here for image

click here to read more

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   
sweet, I don't know how the heck they will explain that one. Very cool I guess were not the only ones on mars. good find

Is it just my or does that soil look a little wet.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
One thing occurs to me Meteor, If they wanted to cover up these things on mars, why let them hit the mainstream media at all? if they can coverup ufos for 60 years then im sure they could intercept images from the rovers, no?

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Here is a little more about NASAs attempt to 'Black-out' the original image.

NASA explanation for blacked out portions Mars Rover images doesn't appear to be valid?

Now this supposedly happens when the rover transmits the picture and some of the data is missing. The rover is supposed to transmit the data later. If this is the case with the blackout picture was it loaded to the other web site before Opportunity had a chance to transmit the rest? The NASA raw image section contains the entire image. The image is not in the NASA press section.

Also I wonder about the fact that the smaller block on the left , it does not make sense logically based on how JPGs image files are encoded and decoded. The missing section should be straight across if some packets were missing or dropped. I don’t think it would create a perfect smaller block on the left below.

Image Orientation JPEG files from www.w3.org
In JFIF files, the image orientation is always top-down. This means that the first image samples encoded in a JFIF file are located in the upper left hand corner of the image and encoding proceeds from left to right and top to bottom. Top-down orientation is used for both the full resolution image and the thumbnail image. The process of converting an image file having bottom-up orientation to JFIF must include inverting the order of all image lines before JPEG encoding.

If you understand how the actual file is encoded at the binary level it is seems impossible for the image to be blacked out in this fashion blacked out image. it is illogical. It was originally found here lyle.org...

Did the UFO image slip through, did someone on the inside do it on purpose so the word could see?
www.iamblogging.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by instar
One thing occurs to me Meteor, If they wanted to cover up these things on mars, why let them hit the mainstream media at all? if they can coverup ufos for 60 years then im sure they could intercept images from the rovers, no?

they could say it was "mars global surveyor" in orbit.

This does seem to be a slip, If they are trying to cover something up. Hey if the government wants to tell the world about UFO's what better place than MARS, no body would panic and think the worlds ending because its not on our planet.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Why isn't the picture in color? I'm sure with those high mega pixel camera's they could find out what it is,couldn't they??

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by instar

You know, i almost want to believe most of the guys over at NASA dont really want to cover this stuff up. Same with all the sightings on the shuttle missions. Maybe they let it go in the public eye until the big suits are notified and tell them to take it down. Even the in the quote i posted it says "the original image is on NASA's Mars Opportunity website--without the blacked out area...at least, at the moment". Heh, save the pic to your hard drive.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
this is stange in the same picture on this website:
lyle.org...

there is no UFO. maybe its just some missing data that did not get sent when transmitting the image.

here are more pictures from that SOL:
marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

[edit on 13-1-2005 by iksmodnad]

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   
iksmodnad, could it be possible that's not the same image? Maybe that image was snapped a second after the image with the UFO? I'm sorry, i dont know the procedure for how the Rover takes pictures. Maybe it snaps a bunch in a row.

I thought i'd post a close up of the object for better viewing. You can see it clearly has a shadow on it's underside.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Looks more like a meteor then a "mars global surveyor" then anything else..it could be one of those cigar shaped ufo's thats what it looks like to me..

[edit on 13-1-2005 by ShadowMan]

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   
ShadowMan, check out this from the blog i linked to in my first post:

We found the images taken one minute before and after. There was no artifact on the lens. This means it was not a chunk of dust or something. If you look at the object itself, it is reflecting light off the top from the sun and is dark underneath as it should be. It appears to be metallic.

We were able to determine that the object was moving at high speed probably vertically. This is because these are stereoscopic cameras positioned just like your eyes. The cameras unless NASA has set them up differently would be connected by Gen-Lock. One camera would trigger the other camera when it was fired. This would create a delay of just a few milliseconds between the exposures. If the object had been moving towards the surface it would have shown up in the Right Camera image. It does not. Being that it was so close the the top of both cameras field of vision. It obviously left the camera field of vision moving vertically.

I think that analysis rules out the object being dust on the lens since there were multiple images taken in succession with the UFO on only one of the images, and rules out the object being a meteor because the cameras determined the object had to be moving vertically.

Heh, i found this interesting as well:

This is a second site I found, seems to be providing images to the Press, when searching the image file name using Google. It has the image containing the section with unidentified sky object blacked out. Why would that be? Not sure yet. This is the same JPEG with the anomaly having the upper part of the image blacked. What is interesting is if you go to www.lyle.org, there is no actual web site. The Mars stuff is buried under a specific directory. www.lyle.org...

We need some experts in here to post their opinions.

[edit on 13/1/05 by Meteor_of_War]

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   
We do not have a rover on Mars and never have it's fake.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by factfinder38

lol, Yeah and aliens have secrete underground bases on the moon!

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Meteor_of_War
It appears to be metallic

Yeah thats why i said it could of been one of those cigar shaped ufo's and the other pics.. hmm why is it black and cut out where the ufo is spose to be hmm.. conspiracy i think so..

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   

I'm not going to bash you for that, because i assume you're joking. But if not, and you're going to make a claim like this at least back it up with some evidence and/or facts...your username is factfinder after all.
Dont waste your time and our's with negative one liners that dont contribute a damn thing to the discussion at hand.

[edit on 13/1/05 by Meteor_of_War]

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowMan

hmm why is it black and cut out where the ufo is spose to be hmm.. conspiracy i think so..

Yes, it's very strange how on one site they've got the anomaly blacked out but on the educational site it's still up. Very strange. I'm curious to see if it's still there in a few days time.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   

...it could be one of those cigar shaped ufo's thats what it looks like to me..

That's what it looked like to me as well when I enlarged the image in Photoshop...

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   

hehe...

newb...

its "ight dou"...

i forgive ya...

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdrumrunner

...it could be one of those cigar shaped ufo's thats what it looks like to me..

That's what it looked like to me as well when I enlarged the image in Photoshop...

Yes normally photoshop can be the scape goat for most of this stuff, but not in this case this came from one of NASA's website. They are a government organization and do not hoax around.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by iksmodnad
Yes normally photoshop can be the scape goat for most of this stuff, but not in this case this came from one of NASA's website. They are a government organization and do not hoax around.

I never said it was photoshopped he said he got the same thing when zooming in, i cant make it out it looks like a circle when you fully zoom in but looks different in the original picture sort of like a cigar.. i have no idea..

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join