It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revolutionary War Experts - Fort Niagara?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Hi All,
I'm engaged in a little research project that deals with activities at Fort Niagara in the 1770-1780 period. Unfortunately, at too many turns I find that the resident expert ends up being me. I'm hoping that among the many history geeks on this site, there might be someone who has a little knowledge about this particular microcosm .
Cheers, JC

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

How are ya JC!? It will be interesting to me to follow your thread here. I'm into a few of my own ie: Old Fort Henry, Ft. Michilimac(?).

Been to both....and here in Detroit, Ft. Wayne.

Good luck here.

PS...another similar era fort is across the Detroit River from me in Amherstburg, Ontario Canada.

MS

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

I am no expert by any means but I did some searching and came across this.
www.oldfortniagara.org... Scroll down for the time period you want.
It might be helpful or might not be.
Good luck.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Thanks to both...
I'm looking at some of the merchants and their relationships with trading houses in Schenectady. Mostly Indian Department stuff with Johnson and Butler. I've mined down pretty deep already, but looking for more detail, and possible connections to Irish linen trade.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Grew up in that part of the woods, can tell you it's haunted for sure. Saw it with my own eyes while working there. A great site close by if the area interest you is bloody run. A house I grew up in had a natural spring in the backyard called brants spring been lost to the history books but around the area we found several artifacts that were donated to the Lewiston historical society. Will always have a love for old fort Niagara ...

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: jaynkeel
Grew up in that part of the woods, can tell you it's haunted for sure. Saw it with my own eyes while working there. A great site close by if the area interest you is bloody run. A house I grew up in had a natural spring in the backyard called brants spring been lost to the history books but around the area we found several artifacts that were donated to the Lewiston historical society. Will always have a love for old fort Niagara ...
Interesting...what kind of artifacts? Historical or pre-contact? It's such an interesting area as it has a French history as well as British, American, and 10K years of First Nations.
I've been out to Devil's Hole, which is part of the Bloody Run scenario. The fort is very cool as well...and you can see Toronto from the ramparts. They tell me that the French Castle is haunted.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Cannonball, musket ball, French buttons Jews harp bear teeth list goes on. And yes first hand exp in the powder magazine at the fort. I know of a few sites in the Lewiston area with artifacts still in ground, landowners long since passed though so no permission to dig currently as well as thousand miles away these days.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: jaynkeel
Cannonball, musket ball, French buttons Jews harp bear teeth list goes on. And yes first hand exp in the powder magazine at the fort. I know of a few sites in the Lewiston area with artifacts still in ground, landowners long since passed though so no permission to dig currently as well as thousand miles away these days.

Very cool! Did you know the original French trading post was located under what is now a parking lot in ArtPark? Fascinating place, lots of history. I'd love to work on a dig in the locale.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Thats the one across from Fort George right?

I've always seen it in the distance but never been...

Funny story though... little off topic...

I've lived in Niagara most of my life... and i had no idea There was a FORT... In fort erie... until last yere LOL

brilliant...

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Check out Queenston heights.
I used to live in Welland.

Me and a buddy used to go to Queentson heights to get water.
Cool history that place.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   

I don't know if it is of any help but I'm from Schenectady originally and now live just across the river. I have access to documents and records that haven't yet been made available digitally from the Grems-Doolittle Library at the Schenectady County Historical Society if that would be of any help.

I also have access to documents owned by the Flint House and Glen House in Scotia though I'm not sure they would be of any value. Either way, I work from home and have an almost insufferable amount of free time so if I can be of any service at all feel free to let me know!

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun
a reply to: Akragon

Check out Queenston heights.
I used to live in Welland.

Me and a buddy used to go to Queentson heights to get water.
Cool history that place.

Thats the thing though... I love the history in this area... i've been to most of the historic sites many times...

And i've been to fort erie more times then i can count...

I don't know how i missed the actual fort?!?!

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Magnivea

I don't know if it is of any help but I'm from Schenectady originally and now live just across the river. I have access to documents and records that haven't yet been made available digitally from the Grems-Doolittle Library at the Schenectady County Historical Society if that would be of any help.

I also have access to documents owned by the Flint House and Glen House in Scotia though I'm not sure they would be of any value. Either way, I work from home and have an almost insufferable amount of free time so if I can be of any service at all feel free to let me know!

Thanks for the offer...we'll talk. Right now I am negotiating to ship in the Phyn and Ellice letterbooks for a peek (on microfilm). There are other matters I'd like to follow up in Schenectady.

And Fort Niagara is a very well maintained site. Definitely worth a visit!
edit on 2-5-2016 by JohnnyCanuck because: Yes!

top topics

join