It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women and The Draft, Equality?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
So, this is an interesting story. Rep. Hunter " filed an amendment to the House’s annual defense authorization bill to require women between the ages of 18 and 26 to register for the Selective Service, the government agency that keeps records of who is eligible to be conscripted". He is against the Obama's administration allowing women to serve in all combat zones. Rep. Hunter said this amendment was to start the discussion. His plan was to vote against his own bill with his colleagues. It backfired on him. The House Armed Services Committee liked the measure and supported it.

As for the issue of women being drafted, I believe that is fair. If we want equality and freedom, we should fight for it too.

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
As for the issue of women being drafted, I believe that is fair. If we want equality and freedom, we should fight for it too.

There's a difference between social equality and physical equality. Men and women are not built the same. The Marine Corps did a study where they allowed women to test alongside men with the same expected physical level. Not a single woman was able to complete the course, and far more of them ended up with musculoskeletal injuries.
Men and women are NOT physically equal.
edit on 4/28/2016 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

I did some research on the Israeli military draft for women. They said women have been serving in combat since 2000 and drafted since 1947.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
them being registered for the draft is a no brainer , if people are interested in equality...

I heard recently they are also looking at abolishing selective service saying it is just a cold war hold over, which on the face of it I agree with. But then I look at all the attacks on Veteran benefits, changes to retirement, threatening to put Vets on the ACA exchanges, lack of COLA, etc... they may need the draft sooner than folks think.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Funny you should say that. The timing is interesting. The volunteer military may not meet our needs if no one volunteers. Patriotism and the VA are not good images nowadays.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   

a reply to: trollz

I did some research on the Israeli military draft for women. They said women have been serving in combat since 2000 and drafted since 1947.

activists often point to the IDF as an illustration of a military in which women are thriving in ground combat units. But a closer look shows Israeli women are not in direct combat special operations such as the Green Berets. Nor are they in front-line combat brigades mobilized to engage in direct heavy combat. In the infantry, virtually all of Israel’s female combat soldiers are confined to two light battalions — the Caracal and the Lions of Jordan — which are assigned to guard the borders with Egypt and Jordan

Link

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Yes, women should be eligible for the draft.

No, I don't want a woman to be in my foxhole unable to drag my wounded butt to safety.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
There shouldnt be a draft full stop.

Not unless the homeland is dircetly threatend.

If your not get enough volnteers for your wars then maybe the problem lies with the wars your getting involved with?

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: trollz

There's a difference between social equality and physical equality. Men and women are not built the same. The Marine Corps did a study where they allowed women to test alongside men with the same expected physical level. Not a single woman was able to complete the course, and far more of them ended up with musculoskeletal injuries.
Men and women are NOT physically equal.

Meet the Army's first female infantry officer

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Fully agree with this.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I'm okay with a draft that includes women. Here's the thing though: there are men who get drafted, but upon further examination, they may get rejected. Same could happen with women.

There are men who aren't physically equal to other men. There are some women who are physically equal to most men. If a woman can physically handle the job, she should be allowed to do it.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Yes, women should be eligible for the draft.

No, I don't want a woman to be in my foxhole unable to drag my wounded butt to safety.

By that same token there are men that I wouldn't trust to share a foxhole with because they would be unable to drag my wounded butt to safety. In fact I had a few in my unit when I DID serve. Somehow I managed to come home from Iraq though.

To be honest, why does the negative opinion of women in combat arms always come back to this point? Why does she have to pull me to safety? There are more than just her and me in a squad or unit. Couldn't she lay down supporting fire and have someone else pull me to safety?
edit on 28-4-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
STOP!!! Before We allow the fairer secks into the Military can We first settle the toilet/latrine question?? I mean these folks have guns already and well, if 'social media' is any indication this could turn out non-positive..

I read where Israel has had Ladies in our, I'm sorry usually when You pay for something You think it is Yours, 'their' Military since 1947, does this cost the U.S. taxpayer extra or are We, The Sheeple billed at the same rate as a male?

I'll take My answer on the air..

Shalom

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I have worked jobs with women that required heavy physical activity and they usually can't keep up.
They try but can't maintain the pace over a long period.
I would think lugging heavy equipment packs in the military would become an issue.
Some may be able to of course.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

There should never be another draft

If the fight comes to us they won't need one

If they have to draft that would tell us everything we need to know

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I have worked jobs with women that required heavy physical activity and they usually can't keep up.
They try but can't maintain the pace over a long period.
I would think lugging heavy equipment packs in the military would become an issue.
Some may be able to of course.

So I've worked with men doing heavy physical activity who couldn't keep up.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

As a proposal for the US military, I completely agree and believe this should be supported to the absolute max! And women should be drafted in equal numbers to the number of men being drafted and an equal number of women should be on the front lines of fire so that casualties and deaths be proportionate. With equal rights, come equal responsibilities!

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Is combat only about brute strength? I have no experience with that why I ask.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Can you fire a gun? Can you follow orders? Then you can fight in combat.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Maybe you are serious but maybe not. But, it is a good discussion. We have a volunteer military. I would think each soul, man or woman would be equally needed and effective. I put in the equality because that seemed to be part of the Representative's argument for it. He said the current draft is "sexist". Of course, he may not have been serious either, just making a point.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join