It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Youth with BB gun resembling firearm shot by police in East Baltimore

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Baltimore police shot a kid today.

The boy had some kind of bb-gun and police thought it was a real bullet-gun apparently.

The kid was shot twice and is not going to die.

Seems both sides in the big cities are very nervous most of the time.

Very tense situations are putting people in danger all the time 24 hours a day.

Youth with BB gun resembling firearm shot by police in East Baltimore

A Baltimore police detective shot a boy in East Baltimore on Wednesday afternoon who he wrongly believed was carrying a semiautomatic pistol, Police Commissioner Kevin Davis said.

The boy suffered what police called non-life-threatening injuries to a "lower extremity," Davis said. The weapon turned out to be spring-air-powered BB gun — not a real firearm.

The boy's mother identified him as 14-year-old Dedric Colvin, an eighth-grader at City Springs Middle School. Volanda Young said her son was shot once in the shoulder and once in the leg.

Nobody ever learns

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen
Lucky kid. He could be dead.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Hope the 13yr old learnt a "big lesson" and lives to reach 14....stupid lad.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   
i wont blame the parents just yet. stupid youth could have borrowed it from another dumb youth.

its weird how the stupid things i did 16 years ago as a youth, pale in comparison to todays youth.

i remember sneaking to leave the house not to go shop lift, but to go swimming or go to the fair or parks, staying late after school to finish homework so i could do forck all when i got home. .

i guess its two different eras and influences.

smh.
that gun might as well be the shell of a real gun and put bb inside it. it looks identical, even from up close.

lets break the monotony and wait for further info, before playing devil's advocate for once ATS

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: tommo39

From source:

The boy's mother identified him as 14-year-old Dedric Colvin...

Two things: if real gun makers can be sued through the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, makers of wannabe guns should be held accountable at the same level, as apparently neither party has any good intentions.

Second - if a 14 year old wants to flash fake guns for whatever reason, it's open season...

Stoooopid

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: BestinShow

originally posted by: tommo39

From source:

The boy's mother identified him as 14-year-old Dedric Colvin...

Second - if a 14 year old wants to flash fake guns for whatever reason, it's open season...

Stoooopid

i agree with your accountability statement but not the above.
14 year olds dont vote, cant drink, or balance a check book, or apply for credit cards. there is a reason for that. the mind capacity of a child is not the same as an adult.
it should not be open forking season on kids who do stupid things.

i hope your kids or you for that fact never do anything stupid.
there are adults whoce done far worst/crimes and get to walk off free,
the kid did nothing illegal and almost died. for doing what all 14 year olds would do if they found a replica of a gun they see in movies and video games. play pretend and flash it around.

/mic
edit on 28-4-2016 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

"For doing what all 14 year olds would do"

Pretty broad generalization there, don't you think?

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   
He shot a fleeing child, so couldn't have thought he was in immediate danger. The kid is stupid, for sure, but it is disappointing that we seem to be of the opinion that 'shoot first, ask later' is an acceptable credo for police.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 01:41 AM
link   
So, while it's good the kid was not killed, it's not good he was shot. This underlines the problem the US have with police shooting people when there is no reason to do so. He was running away.

While the OP's source is scant on detail, on the face of it, the two police chased the boy and after 150 yards they shot him. Where's the right in that?

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: rollanotherone

Even so this is Baltimore for starters where just last year they were damn near race rioting. As a parent it doesn't take much critical thinking to teach your children to avoid being a dumb ass in the 21st century, however the parent probably bought the damn thing because it looked real. If so, the parent should be shot.

Lastly, these air gun manufacturers need a few active class actions to set them straight. Idiots, the whole lot of em.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 02:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
So, while it's good the kid was not killed, it's not good he was shot. This underlines the problem the US have with police shooting people when there is no reason to do so. He was running away.

While the OP's source is scant on detail, on the face of it, the two police chased the boy and after 150 yards they shot him. Where's the right in that?

Have you ever seen how fast a gun can be produced and pointed at someone? (Primarily Police) A perp, regardless of prior circumstances (like the foot pursuit) can pull a gun and have it trained on officers in less than a second. Also, you don't have to be facing someone to point a gun at them. It is quite possible to have your back to a person, but still pull a gun and point it more or less behind you. Stop fixating only on suspects orientations because it is not always that simple. No matter how much you hate cops, no matter how much you think cops should be able to do, there are a hundred ways situations can unfold that fall outside of your narrow perceptions.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 02:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: chuck258
Have you ever seen how fast a gun can be produced and pointed at someone? (Primarily Police) A perp, regardless of prior circumstances (like the foot pursuit) can pull a gun and have it trained on officers in less than a second.

Each situation is different. However, this report plus others do reveal a culture of American police shooting people prematurely.

I think being a policeman in America is a massively complex job, mainly because police officers are shot. This means that they have to act as though they are the next victim. That's the price to pay for so many guns in circulation.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: rollanotherone

yea, i had a feeling youd pick what you wanted in my comments.

give a fake gun to any kid, anywhere inn the world, guess what they will do with it.play pretend... mimic what they see everywhere. show it off to their other friends.

dont try to string something thats not there. all kids do dumb things, theyre at that age, its not race, gender, or creed. the developmental stages for young adolescence are the same across the board. not just the humans species.

dont speak as if you give a fake toy gun to say a nephew, maybe your nephew, would i be just generalizing to say he too would brandish it because hes a kid and excited to have a replica of what he sees on tv, videogames, cartoons. what kid with a toy, especially one looking like what special adults use, think oh, maybe i shouldnt play with it in the open because of the gun laws and trigger happy cops in the US. it may get mistaken for a real one
or am i just generalizing still....

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 03:20 AM
link   
a reply to: chuck258

So, you think the go-to response should be to shoot 'just in case'?

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: chuck258

originally posted by: paraphi

Have you ever seen how fast a gun can be produced and pointed at someone? (Primarily Police) A perp, regardless of prior circumstances (like the foot pursuit) can pull a gun and have it trained on officers in less than a second. Also, you don't have to be facing someone to point a gun at them. It is quite possible to have your back to a person, but still pull a gun and point it more or less behind you. Stop fixating only on suspects orientations because it is not always that simple. No matter how much you hate cops, no matter how much you think cops should be able to do, there are a hundred ways situations can unfold that fall outside of your narrow perceptions.

I agree. We need to wait for the facts.
Trying to find them, but there are a few videos of perps running away while firing behind them. One was at a mall cop.

iTruthSeeker

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
6 Million reasons......

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
gangsta rap / thug culture is to blame. stop glorifieng it

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   

The detectives got out of their vehicle, identified themselves as officers and told him to stop, Davis said. The boy began running, the officers gave chase for about 150 yards, and one detective shot the boy, Davis said.

So the kid is out playing cops and robbers, and the real cops approach him thinking he has a real gun just casually strolling with it out in plain sight?

And these police, in a city where the police are among the most notoriously infamous in the nation and the city residents are obviously disenfranchised, a young man running from them doesn't seem like something that is a reasonable reaction. So they shot him in the back.

Thats right. Folks here are calling the kid "stupid" for playing a game that everyone I know personally grew up playing, and that a bunch of boys are outside playing right this very moment. And approving of police shooting a kid who was not putting them in any kind of immenent danger.

As a CCW if I were to do what these cops did, i'd be in prison for it. Straight up. Shooting a kid in the back, who was not posing an immediate danger, as evidenced by him facing the other direction running.

Insane. Seriously, insane when police can shoot kids who are playing cops and robbers, and its the kids who are 'stupid'.
edit on 4/28/2016 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Yeah make excuses for a cop shooting a kid while he wasn't in any danger. It's funny how other western countries don't have this issue. The amount of police shooting in Canada, the UK , and Australia together are a tiny fraction of those in the USA.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Joecanada11

Yeah make excuses for a cop shooting a kid while he wasn't in any danger. It's funny how other western countries don't have this issue. The amount of police shooting in Canada, the UK , and Australia together are a tiny fraction of those in the USA.

We have police that are trained in our perpetual warzones.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join