It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Carolina State Senator on HB2: 'Keep Our State Straight'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   
If this thread looks a little familiar, it's because I posted one very similar some hours ago in the US Political Madness forum. Clearly this was an error on my part as it rightly belonged in the Mud Pit and it was therefore trash binned. I didn't get a chance to read any of the responses and I thought I'd give it another crack — this time in the appropriate forum!

There have been a lot of apologists trying to pass off a variety of dubious justifications for the passage of NC's HB2 and even our beloved ATS has not been spared from this plague of willful ignorance and mass disingenuity. Well here is something a bit closer to the truth, straight from the horse's mouth.

After regurgitating the "protecting women and children from sexual predators" lie for probably the thousandth time, Sen. Eldon Sharpe "Buck" Newton III apparently got tired of beating around the bush on Monday at a pro-HB2 rally and his pandering took a decidedly more direct route. Here's the video:

Here's my transcript of his remarks starting at about 1:29 in the video:

"and we all know that the folks that wave the rainbow flags and things like that are politically very upset about the way things are today. They're upset about the way things have always been in this state and they're bound and determined to try to change it — whether it's by winning elections in the City of Charlotte, on their city council, or whether it's winning elections in November in the General Assembly or whether it's winning elections in November for our governor.

My opponent in the race for Attorney General calls this 'Buck's Bill.' He wants to make me the poster child of this bill and you know what? I say bring it on. Bring it on. Bring it on.

I am not worried about how I am judged by some people at another rally. I am worried about how I am judged by the man upstairs... and if I can't win this election because I ran HB 2 then so be it. Bring it on. I want to thank you for letting me speak to you today. I thank you for being here on this beautiful day. Go home, tell your friends and family who had to work today what this is all about and how hard we must fight to keep our state straight."

Strangely, despite having said the above in public and having given particular emphasis to the closing words "keep our state straight" — not to mention his theatrical repetition of the phrase "bring it on" — Mr. Newton has since tried to walk this back:

HuffPost - North Carolina Republican Urges People To ‘Keep Our State Straight’

UPDATE, 4/26/16 — Newton disputed the charge that he was homophobic because of his “straight” comments in an interview with The News and Observer Tuesday. He said “keep our state straight” meant “keep men out of the ladies’ room.” “I never mentioned anything about homosexuality,” Newton said.

Well of course that's what he meant! How could anyone possibly mistake this man's admission of legislating religious persecution — during which he clearly references "those people who wave rainbow flags and things like that" and concludes with "keep our state straight" — for meaning anything else?

Maybe the "keep the children safe" bit is wearing a little thin in light of the fact that the Republican former Speaker of the House, Dennis Hastert, is personally responsible for sexually assaulting more children than mythical transgender restroom assailants have been?
edit on 2016-4-27 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

What does HB2 have to do with gayness exactly?

I thought it had to do with Trannies?

Sounds like he doesn't know his own bill.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   

While I agree that is been a parroting of laws in different states trying to undermine the supreme court decision on marriage rights, under the most stupid names that while it sounds like protection bills they are nothing but discriminatory.

These bills will never become laws, as the supreme court rulings nullify them.

I am split on the issue of transgender rights.

As an adult women, I have not problem sharing the restroom, but as a mother I would be very concern for minor children.

The reason for this is because in our nation we have a dark side that likes to go after our young and innocent, is not the transgender individuals what worries me, is those with the sick mind to hide behind transgender and their rights to be able to harm others.

We don't need discriminatory laws, base on religious rights and stupidity, but we need to accommodate for those of our fellow human beings and start to make possible for all transgender citizens to have their own private areas where they can feel welcome and be comfortable.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

As an adult women, I have not problem sharing the restroom, but as a mother I would be very concern for minor children.

You do realize this unfounded paranoia came about because of Trans Kids, right?

Trans kids in school wanting to use the restroom that fits their gender. Not using a separate facility that basically Outs them.

This bill is meant to target schools and trans kids.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I know exactly what the bill is and for what I know is never going to get passed as is going to be ban in discrimination bases.

And not I don't think that having a private restroom for transgender children is wrong.

Is the right thing to do so everybody can feel comfortable, girls, boys and those in between.

Is just common sense.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Should we simply eliminate segregated bathrooms entirely and have everyone just go into one big 'poopatorium'? I mean if we believe that bathrooms should be segregated at all? We didn't need a bill until some people started pretending to be a sex they weren't born as...it used to be common sense.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Should we simply eliminate segregated bathrooms entirely and have everyone just go into one big 'poopatorium'? I mean if we believe that bathrooms should be segregated at all? We didn't need a bill until some people started pretending to be a sex they weren't born as...it used to be common sense.

Works for me.

Everyone has to Pee. Its not about some personal private sanctuary. If you want that, go home.

Its about public health. About human waste.

Ignorance on "pretending", noted.

edit on 27-4-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   

I know exactly what the bill is and for what I know is never going to get passed as is going to be ban in discrimination bases.

And not I don't think that having a private restroom for transgender children is wrong.

Is the right thing to do so everybody can feel comfortable, girls, boys and those in between.

Is just common sense.

So, you think its just find to Out trans children by forcing them to use a "special" facility.

You do know children start school about age 5. So, a 5 year old has to go pee in the nurses office.

Yeah, that works. Why don't we just force her to use the boys bathroom?

edit on 27-4-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   

You should force him to get a haircut and have him stop pretending to be a girl. At 5 years old parents should be setting the rules not the child.

This is literally insane.

edit on 2016/4/27 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   

You should force him to get a haircut and have him stop pretending to be a girl. At 5 years old parents should be setting the rules not the child. This is literally insane.

Ignorance is a choice.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

You should force him to get a haircut and have him stop pretending to be a girl. At 5 years old parents should be setting the rules not the child. This is literally insane.

Ignorance is a choice.

As you have clearly demonstrated by letting a five year old dictate to you. I hope you are never a parent. The child will be doomed.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   

I heard a Senator talking and encouraging the listeners to vote a particular way to keep the status quo, which appears to be in keeping with this Senators (and obviously many others') viewpoint on this subject matter.

In fact, he goes so far to articulate that whether it's by winning elections in the City of Charlotte, on their city council, or whether it's winning elections in November in the General Assembly or whether it's winning elections in November for our governor which to me suggests he is aware that the legal and recognized process to have laws reviewed and amended, by his opponents, is being adhered to - to the point that the Senator deemed it necessary to say so - so the Senator obviously feels that there is a good chance that voters will vote against his policy.

I believe that this is actually democracy in action.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Maybe the "keep the children safe" bit is wearing a little thin in light of the fact that the Republican former Speaker of the House, Dennis Hastert, is personally responsible for sexually assaulting more children than mythical transgender restroom assailants have been?

I get that you are angry and frustrated, but it doesn't take much effort to prove this is not true.

Not every transgender person is a law abiding citizen with gender identity issues. People commit crimes. Not genders or gender identities. The idea that letting the men who would commit crimes like rape or child molestation into the girls restrooms or locker rooms would make it easier for them isn't fabricated. Simple logic applies here, nothing more. Regardless of your personal opinion or agenda, you cant deny that access to relatively private areas with potential victims in various stages of undress makes it easier for those who wish to commit these crimes to do so.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Ignorance is a choice.

As you have clearly demonstrated by letting a five year old dictate to you. I hope you are never a parent. The child will be doomed.

I did research.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

I get that you are angry and frustrated, but it doesn't take much effort to prove this is not true.

Not every transgender person is a law abiding citizen with gender identity issues. People commit crimes. Not genders or gender identities. The idea that letting the men who would commit crimes like rape or child molestation into the girls restrooms or locker rooms would make it easier for them isn't fabricated. Simple logic applies here, nothing more. Regardless of your personal opinion or agenda, you cant deny that access to relatively private areas with potential victims in various stages of undress makes it easier for those who wish to commit these crimes to do so.

There are places around the world that have unisex restrooms.

There are no statistics to back up the paranoia.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Ignorance is a choice.

I did research.

I don't require research or statistics to know I am tired of having extremist agendas forced on me by both the left and the right. Its time for people to stand up to ideological bullies like you.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   

We didn't need a bill until some people started pretending to be a sex they weren't born as...it used to be common sense.

Nonsense.

learn.lexiconic.net...

Common Sense Fallacy: an argument is held to be true because of practical truths and common sense.

Common sense is sometimes correct, but all too many times all too commonly incorrect. We all know if it looks bad, it tastes bad. It's just common sense.

edit on 27-4-2016 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   
First of all, its impossible to do an internet search on it with all the crap going on but is it a legitimate threat? Like have men actually abducted children from restrooms posing as women? I find that odd since children small enough for such abductions are usually in the mens room with daddy or the women's room with mommy at least they should be. I know I was not allowed in the restroom away from my mom or dad till I was like eight or nine and i was probably stopped and waited for till I was a teenager. This whole strange transgender freaks touching our kids thing is so beyond offensive and I don't even know any transgender people. Isn't it still true that something like 90 percent of sexual abuse is heterosexual abuse from dad, cousin, brother, or uncle specifically touching a little girl and a large number of the stranger abuses stranger cases not gender specific since for many its not the attraction to the male or female body but the taking control of a childs innocence regardless of gender that they get off on? Because if we were to stop living in BS la la land, it seems to me that the only fear we should legislate against is that adults shouldn't be in the bathroom at all with children (and judging by 90 percent of abuse cases shoulsnt be able to live with them near them or have any contact with them since that's where the evil happens not at the McDonalds bathroom or at least not enough to be all wild and crazy across the entire nation over it). All that is happening is the retry to force false stereotypes onto different minority groups that demonize them and on completely false grounds.

The ku Klux klan and aryan brotherhood members get a tattoo or two and just hate everyone nice and easy. What's really sick more than imaginary transgender people in my son or daughters bathrooms is that nobody is pointing out how these people, majority in some places, are putting more though, time, energy, planning, and all into hatred than the klan has for 100 years but I guess its simple as removing the sheets and the klan becomes a concerned citizens brigade. Lies lies lies and since not enough stuck for marriage its a new round of lies hoping enough catch on at least to scare everyone to deathvof tyrannies who weren't successfully made to be terrified on two men or women sharing nuptial vows in broad daylight.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Is just common sense.

So, you think its just find to Out trans children by forcing them to use a "special" facility.

You do know children start school about age 5. So, a 5 year old has to go pee in the nurses office.

Yeah, that works. Why don't we just force her to use the boys bathroom?

Most five year olds are still getting a handle on the whole wiping their own asses thing.

There's no such thing as transgendered five year olds. If a five year girl thinks she's actually a boy and should have pecker, then there's something else wrong there. Probably abuse. Look at the parents.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Setting aside the fact that maintaining the status quo is often of questionable merit and particularly so in this case, in my opinion, that's only the most superficial of motivations. I also doubt that the man gives much consideration to his eternal salvation when he votes on legislation or that he honestly believes that there exists a credible and substantial threat to the safety of the women and children of his state in the form of cross dressing sexual predators lurking in public restrooms.

In a general sense it's about an authoritarian segment of society who have been successfully wielding political power to infringe upon the fundamental rights of others. More specifically, it's one of several similar efforts to enact what amounts to punitive legislation to pander to a voting block seething over SCOTUS affirming the rights of same sex couples to be legally wed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join