It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

End all social welfare programs immediately

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Didn't you read a single word I wrote?

Jesus told ONE INDIVIDUAL to sell their things and give to the poor. Jesus did not force him to do it. The man walked away.

The government has no right to tell businesses what to do. If greed makes an individual happy, then its his Constitutional Right to pursue happiness within the limits of the law.

You cannot regulate morality. Not even Jesus told us to regulate morality.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Dude there's A LOT of help out there for homeless people most homeless people don't want it don't seek it or have serious issues that need more immediate and long term care which doesn't exist.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

You still haven't refuted that the problem lies with the rich and their greed.

If you check a few verses below that one you'll notice that Jesus tells his disciples, in so many words, that those who follow him will be saved. He told the man to sell his things, give to the poor, THEN follow him.

It makes no sense to defend the people who actively go against Jesus' teachings, especially if you're a Christian. It's hard for a rich person to enter heaven, so why are you not trying to save them?

Jesus fed and healed people free of charge, he told us to give without expectation of return, etc. Why are you seemingly so against what Jesus taught?
edit on 4/27/2016 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   
How the hell did Jesus end up in the conversation?

One thing to remember....we live in a world economy. Those making slave wages in other countries would be happy to take the jobs that you feel are not paying a livable wage in your country.

You might want to say that the standard of living in your country is too high to compete on the world market. The world needs ditch diggers too.

Corporations and companies to not exist to support the individual growth of their employees. They exist to make money. It's not a charity operation. You want to make more money? Earn it. Go after it however you can. Asking for a livable wage is like asking for a handout. When in the hell did drive and determination get replaced by "pay me what I consider to be a fair wage". Work for it, the competition is.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   
One part of the solution is to stop buying products from many of these corporations. Someone may lose a job but tough. That what those people say when it's you job going away. The CEOs will almost never care about the rank and file in today's world. Maybe it will get them moving on and something will change. Not holding breathe on that one though.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

We're discussing political economics here, not theology. The fact that you're changing the subject shows that you are not being objective here. America is not a Theocracy, therefore, the MISCONCEPTIONS that you have about Jesus can not be applied in this discussion.

I've already successfully refuted you're points. You just refuse to understand. Your ideologies have crippled your critical thinking skills.

Ill give you as STAR for participation.

Keep up the good work.

edit on 27-4-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: added sarcasm

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

And if social welfare is completely ended, how many more homeless people will that create? With this sudden surge in homelessness, how will these homeless shelters and other places fare?

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Asking for a livable wage is like asking for a handout

But a CEO asking for 10 million is OK?

What kind of logic is that. Shouldn't he be making min wage also then.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

And if social welfare is completely ended, how many more homeless people will that create? With this sudden surge in homelessness, how will these homeless shelters and other places fare?

No to mention the crime levels would most likely increase.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   

You're right, I may have changed the subject but not intentionally.

Either way, ending social welfare would be a huge mistake. If welfare somehow increased the pay of workers (as the OP implied), how would the scenario end any differently than the one you proposed a few replies earlier? You said that paying a living wage would send jobs overseas and drive costs up, so how would ending welfare help in that situation in any way?

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   

No. Tax funded social welfare is illegal in this Nation. I don't want my taxes going to Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Obamacare, or anything else. It stands in the way of my pursuit of happiness, because it makes me unhappy to know that my money is being poured down a black hole. That's just me. Once you factor in the millions of other tax paying Americans that are keeping this country afloat, it becomes obvious that most of the poor are just lazy.

So social welfare needs to be shut down because it has no right to exist in the first place.

Does the Government care that its illegal? No. They get away with it because this nation is brainwashed.

America is suffering because of ignorance and laziness. Not because of the "greedy rich".

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   

But how will shutting welfare down improve the life of the American people? You didn't answer my question.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

That's why people are suggesting gradual phaseouts. They say it's going to happen anyway, so just a question of when...

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

So all children and adults who are intellectually challenged must depend on friends and family? So you're saying NO social programs and everyone to fend for themselves?

What a terrible idea.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

Asking for a livable wage is like asking for a handout

But a CEO asking for 10 million is OK?

What kind of logic is that. Shouldn't he be making min wage also then.

I understand your point. Why do NBA players make so much? Why don't they make minimum wage? Why stop there, what about NFL or MLB players? Entertainers, actors? .....let's not just pick on the CEO's for gross wages.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   

It will relieve the burden on the economy so that people can go back to work and become prosperous again. Prosperity has declined because of social welfare. Its an cancer.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   

there is no way in hades that I will take a job that requires me to be on my feet all day long, I like being able to walk too much, and well, I spent a few years before my husband passed trying to find a job that I could do. even took two and in one they let me go the first day, deciding I could do the work, the second one I gave up on when I about passed out on their concrete floor which I think was because of the amount of pain I was feeling. and keep in mind, any job I do get wouldn't pay me enough to actually enable to be get the healthcare I would need to help alleviate that problem, so no, I spent years paying into the system, I laid in a bed with a splint on my leg while the surgeons refused me treatment because I didn't have a couple thousand of dollars, while my families taxmoney was being used so that mothers could run their kids in so the doctor could tell them it was just a cold (I am not lying or exagerating here, I know a women who would do this, she also would open her windows on the coldest winter days to air the place out, because well, it wasn't like she had to pay the electric bill anyways!!)
I am over 55 years old, closer to retirement age and quite frankly, it would be a waste of taxpayer money to retrain me at this point.

I'll repeat myself here, my kids are grown, we raised them with very little help from anyone, my husband and me paid taxes that went to provide medical care for "the poor" when we couldn't afford our own medical care, it paid the "poor's" rent while we lived in substandard housing, our neighbors would buy shrimp and spent most of the summer nights outside gathered at one house or another drinking their beer and having a good time...
we paid our dues, my father, my brother, they passed on before they collected a cent of social security, my mom passed on before she got much back out of it, and my husband passed on before he collected.

no, it's not my duty to cripple or kill myself so that I can keep putting into the pool that is used so that others (many of whom can walk not only to their mailbox and back, but to the store that's a half a mile away, they can jump out of their car and run into the store, that can sit outside half the night and party and raise hell, got to the doctors again after they've already been there because they don't like the idea that they have to live with the swelling in their face till it goes down some, and all the other lame brained things I've seen in my lifetime!

I end up limping back from the mailbox, I can't even walk to the store, and I have been able to run anywhere in over a decade... When I was working, a few times I fell on the job, a few times I fell just trying to get to my car, and yet, I've manage to make do without any help till recently...
so stfu! either the gov't helps me now, or well, I just go off and die in the wild somewhere, and I really don't care much which. but no, this society has lost me as a worker. I'd rather be dead!

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Parents are responsible for the care of their children. They have to provide it. They assumed that responsibility when they decided to have the child, just like I did when I chose to have mine.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
I've come to the realization that the biggest problem holding back wage increases and purchasing power in the US economy is social welfare and corporate welfare and other safety nets that prevent small businesses from paying higher wages and building capital for expansion.

These things need the breaks put on them.

No more do gooder politicians like Sanders no more government run bloated programs that cost us more than their worth.

I will gladly take my money and contribute to helping people in anyway that I can but I want the personal autonomy to make the choice of where to put my money.

The internet has made this possible and by expanding these programs we will increase corporate power and limit social and upward mobility.

Millenials do not yet understand this as they do not have any experience in the market and are jaded to a poorly managed economy.

Please think.

These programs are in part a pay off to those out of work so they don't rise up in mass numbers and use violence against those who exclude them from the workforce.

Too many people wouldn't help other people if the choice was left up to them because they think if they help someone they won't be obedient to them and later become competition with having gained some financial ground.

The safety nets you are talking about are very bloated. They got that way due to the rising fear of mass uprising leading to violence by those who have no work. The safety nets are to prevent mass violence and other forms of acting out when people are put out of work.

The cost is monetary where the cost would be businesses burned down to the ground if there wasn't a welfare safety net in place for those rejected from the active workforce.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   

The history of welfare in the U.S. started long before the government welfare programs we know were created. In the early days of the United States, the colonies imported the British Poor Laws. These laws made a distinction between those who were unable to work due to their age or physical health and those who were able-bodied but unemployed. The former group was assisted with cash or alternative forms of help from the government. The latter group was given public service employment in workhouses.

Throughout the 1800's welfare history continued when there were attempts to reform how the government dealt with the poor. Some changes tried to help the poor move to work rather than continuing to need assistance. Social casework, consisting of caseworkers visiting the poor and training them in morals and a work ethic was advocated by reformers in the 1880s and 1890s.

Prior to the Great Depression, the United States Congress supported various programs to assist the poor. One of these, a Civil War Pension Program was passed in 1862 and provided aid to Civil War Veterans and their families.

www.welfareinfo.org/history/

try again???

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join