It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

End all social welfare programs immediately

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I don't get it. Why do people like you always want to attack programs that benefit you and the people of this country? Instead, maybe you should attack our trillions in military and black budget projects, billions in foreign aid, our billions in foreign occupations and military conflicts, corporate welfare, corporate tax loopholes, pork barrel spending, and excessive political salaries, pensions and benefits!

The people of this country are their own worst enemy. Nothing like shooting yourself in the foot. We pay taxes to support all these other programs that support corporations, foreign countries, self-serving political programs, and outrageous military spending. Yet we deny any return on our own tax investment! Whether or not you've ever had to use food stamps or welfare, at least the safety net is there in case you need it! You nor nobody else knows what lies down the road.

I'm sure you pay into Social Security and Medicare. You'll find out soon enough how important these programs are to the elderly.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: Swills

Obviously all changes are made incrementally please stop

I saw that same argument used in a different thread for why we should vote in Hillary. Working incrementally gets us nowhere & allows oppressors to develop new strategies.

What's your opinion of countries with basic wage laws where everyone is paid X amount despite their salaries? (As far as I understand it)

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

I'm mainly analyzing low wages and cost to hire new entry level employees.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: SmurfRider

Well basic wage laws I think take care of themselves in a more competitive environment

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   

a reply to: Flatfish

Great but that tells us nothing

It tells the absolute truth!!!

Businesses make a PROFIT off their employee's services and NOT the other way around as you would have us believe.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
As much as I hate it, I know on that point you are close to right, having dealt first hand in a forward deployment lifestyle for a bit(US NAVY). But as I had suggested maybe the world is no longer at the point where that type of politics is valid anymore (one can dream) and pure trade pressure can help with the situation. After all I am not suggesting we give up power I am suggesting a way to apply the leverage with out direct interference.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flatfish

Businesses make a PROFIT off their employee's services and NOT the other way around as you would have us believe.

I have no idea how that's relevant

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

I agree, but we need to redefine "disabled", cuz if you can answer a phone or type on a computer, you can do some kind of work.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flatfish

I have no idea how that's relevant

Doesn't surprise me in the least and actually it's pretty sad too.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

We need to rethink eunemployement insurance among other things as well.

I do like the idea of them but if I have to chose between companies having to pay all these insurances forcefully or letting the market forces determine these things as

Insurance or entry level positions with higher wages what ends up being better in the long run

Market forces will determine how much money can be spent on insurance and companies will have more competition and autonomy on choosing to provide these services

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   

What your saying has nothing to do with the conversation

link   
ok, so this isn't about facts, this is about scapegoats

leaves thread

link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You haven't met my severely disabled son. To say he should hold down a job is...well...it's impossible. Honestly, I can't imagine that is what you are saying. Have I read it wrong?

I totally agree with providing a way out of poverty. Right now laws created to "look tough" on folks simply keep them down. If people are able and jobs are available, once they start working, they can't make as much as they did on their benefits - it has the opposite incentive, doesn't it? This needs to change.

The path to poverty seems well-greased for some folks, and the way out covered in barriers and hurdles.

I don't want to see a compassionless system, and part of that compassion is allowing people a way to move out of welfare without punishing them for it.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: CoBaZ
As much as I hate it, I know on that point you are close to right, having dealt first hand in a forward deployment lifestyle for a bit(US NAVY). But as I had suggested maybe the world is no longer at the point where that type of politics is valid anymore (one can dream) and pure trade pressure can help with the situation. After all I am not suggesting we give up power I am suggesting a way to apply the leverage with out direct interference.

Was that in reply to me? I think it is... Thank you for the response...

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Your right I agree with you but the question is do you want massive centralized burdensome programs or something more localized

If people have more money I'm willing to bet that they would be willing to part with some to help your son I know I'm ok with helping your son

But most social programs get abused

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   

You missed my first point: the programs are created for people who truly cannot do for themselves.

I would assume that your son might fall into that category rather than the will not or cannot because life choices are inhibiting them categories.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Thank you! I`ve been saying that forever, and every time I get the "oh,no.... disabled is disabled" response.
For example, if someone can give birth to a child and take care of that child... why can they not work as a caregiver in a daycare center?

And another thing I don`t understand.... I thought the point of disability payments was to take the place of what an adult would make if they could work. Why are kids getting disability? Their parents gave birth to them, and it should be their responsibility to take care of that child until adulthood. Heavens knows, I had 4 hyperactive kids .... I did what parents are supposed to do and took care of them, not try to get "benefits".

The whole disability thing makes me angry.... yes there are truly some adults who should be on that program, but most should not. I live in a small semi rural community and see it every day. Something is very wrong with the system, and it needs to be dealt with (and soon !!!!)

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   

We need to rethink eunemployement insurance among other things as well.

I do like the idea of them but if I have to chose between companies having to pay all these insurances forcefully or letting the market forces determine these things as

Insurance or entry level positions with higher wages what ends up being better in the long run

Market forces will determine how much money can be spent on insurance and companies will have more competition and autonomy on choosing to provide these services

How about this. Give SIGNIFICANT and PROPORTIONAL tax breaks for companies and individuals who financially contribute to organizations which help the needy.

Charities should be responsible for welfare, so let them handle it.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonlover12

Yes, my brother-in-law's brother draws disability because he lost a toe. At the same time, my dad worked for years with a young man who also lost his toe and put in 8 hours of hard work every single day.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   

oh, I can type on a computer, not very fast, but I can, but back in the 80's I went to college hoping to get into something more appealing than resturant and fast food. studied data processing even, got decent grades. but well, after two years of it I tried to get back into the workforce for that office job....
nope, didn't have experience, ect. and was flat out told that as long as there were men applying for a job, well, they weren't gonna be hiring the women... after all the men had families to support, the women had men to support them or danged well should have. so, I gave up on that nice office job and went into production instead, never did really make enough to support myself and my share of the kids though. and eventually ended up with physical problems that made it so I needed something more akin to that office job, but then again, nope, no can do, no experience.
so, well, I am disabled, live with it!!
they might be able to do something, but weather or not they will be given a chance to is an entirely different question..

by the way, my disability will be switching to social security survivor's benefits in a few days, the first time in my life I will be able to hold my own..
I halfway expect the whole system to crash any day now.

new topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join