It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

End all social welfare programs immediately

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

entry level jobs that don't pay enough to support them?
first I highly doubt that if they cut all the welfare programs, any small businesses or citizens would see much of a savings, for every cent that they saved, they'd find a reason to spend two, ya know, a few wars here a few there, a few more battleships, a few more jets, let's all pat ourselves on the back and give ourselves a raise for a job well done!!!

but then considering that many of the families of those servicemen and women are relying on food stamps also, they might just find themselves with enough men for fight a war, who knows....

edit on 28-4-2016 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

entry level jobs that don't pay enough to support them?
first I highly doubt that if they cut all the welfare programs, any small businesses or citizens would see much of a savings, for every cent that they saved, they'd find a reason to spend two, ya know, a few wars here a few there, a few more battleships, a few more jets, let's all pat ourselves on the back and give ourselves a raise for a job well done!!!

but then considering that many of the families of those servicemen and women are relying on food stamps also, they might just find themselves with enough men for fight a war, who knows....

As a young airman with children in the mid 80's, we qualified for WIC, and gov't handouts. The sad thing is, that most that are against social handouts, don't realize the low ranking military members qualify for most of the programs.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: BubbaJoe

As a young airman with children in the mid 80's, we qualified for WIC, and gov't handouts. The sad thing is, that most that are against social handouts, don't realize the low ranking military members qualify for most of the programs.

I'm so sorry. This burns me up.

That was in the 80's. Surely things have changed?

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

We survived, there are answers to the problem, but no one wants to listen to them. Fraud and corruption are the two biggest issues that need to be addressed, but some would rather folks starve in the streets. I would love to stay and discuss, but I have to work in the morning, imagine that.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   

it's like when they talk about ending social security, like it would save us so much money..
no it wouldn't first, unless the sons and daughters of those elderly people are willing to let their parent die in proverty, you are just gonna shift the burden to them, who will then expect to be paid more because their expenses just increased by alot. then you have to consider all the seniors that volunteer their time in hospitals, schools, libraries, and many other places. if they suddenly find themselves having to earn a living or depending on their kids, well, they won't be volunteering anymore, they will be expecting a check for the time they spend doing that job. and, since they are doing a job that needs to be done, more than likely there will be an increase in the cost of healthcare, the schools, the libraries, and where ever else they are using volunteers will cost more.
then there are the army of workers, in so many different fields, so many different job titles who would suddenly find themselves needing more money, more than likely the businesses would have to increase their pay because hungry, homeless people make very poor workers.
then there is the fact that in some areas of the country, the healthcare industry is drawing in something around 50% of their revenues from these programs. I think it would collaspe the industry but one thing is for sure, those ceo's and upper management in the insurance industry wouldn't be seeing many more $100,000 bonuses anymore.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

Not an expert on the military, but I think if you live off base you get a small housing stipend. Here's their monthly pay though. A low ranking airman who probably doesn't have much time in (such as if you're just doing your 4 years) is going to be between an E1 and an E3 at under 4 years. That's a range of $1557 to $2082 per month or $18,684 to $24,984. Depending on where you're stationed and if you have a family, that could easily qualify you for some assistance.

www.militaryfactory.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Ending these programs immediately would result in a catastrophic sh!tshow. I do believe that they need to be lessened, but cutting all of it would result in mass casualties. People would literally revolt. Many would perish. I can't, with an appropriate conscious, condone cutting them all because there are many people who do need assistance.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Add in base housing (no rent )

And you should be fine if your single but with a family I can see it being tough even with COLA

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Not everyone in the military gets on base housing. Those who live off base usually get a housing allowance but I have no idea how much that is, and wouldn't be surprised if it varied by area.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I wouldn't say the tax loopholes are more lucrative, so companies are going overseas... Why can't it be simply that their taxes are just lower and/or governments are getting out of the way of business with less regulations.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: GraffikPleasure
Its a combination of things. These companies are enticed to move overseas because of the hi cost of production at home, cheaper wages and materials overseas.

If they are American companies they should have to pay tax wherever they operate.

The Beatles paid 95 % of their earnings to the Crown, regardless of where they made the money.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   

I am sorry to say it, but you are wrong on this. There are people right here in the US dying of hunger, malnutrition, exposure, etc. It is the disbelief that it can happen that makes it possible. People cant conceive of how someone could die of malnutrition in this country, yet there are children that go without food, shelter, and even the most basic necessities.

Churches do help, but they will not feed you every day. And no, these children should not be on the streets. But when their parent(s) lose their home - that is where they sometimes end up. Not everyone has a safety net to fall back on.

It hurts American pride to believe that such a thing is possible in this great nation. Take a drive along lower Wacker drive in Chicago some time and see it for yourself. I took that drive a couple years ago at nightfall. What I saw still haunts me. There was a man with a child, probably around 7 or 8 years old. He had a fire going which he had made into a hibachi style grill. I have no idea what they were cooking but I saw four legs sticking straight up and a tail hanging off the end...

Yes, it happens.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   
If we ended welfare programs there would be mass riots on the streets. You don't want the alternative.

Besides, the root problem to our economy is the money itself. No economic policy or theory will ever escape the inevitable devaluing, hyperinflation, and eventually collapse of money.

This process has been repeated over and over again throughout civilization. America just so happens to be the next Roman empire that will eventually collapse. It's happened in Germany, Egypt, and other nations throughout the world. Nations rise and fall, bottom line.

We need to abolish currencies and implement free energy devices to actually improve our situation. Right now we're just kicking the proverbial can down the road until the $#!@ hits the fan.
edit on 29-4-2016 by supermilkman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Exactly! That is something most Americans can't fathom is that a lot of our manufacturing jobs have been outsourced to slave labor who work for pennies on the dollar.

Corporations are just too greedy to change the status quo and its dwindling the job markets in America. We are becoming primarily consumers rather than producers which will bite us in the ass some point down the road.

And even if we did bring jobs back into America we would still argue for fair wages which would only further stymie our debt. In fact cheap wholesale production is probably the only reason why things aren't as bad as they could be right now. China, Taiwan, Philippines, etc are keeping us afloat.

Just watch when all these underdeveloped countries become first world nations with the BRICS pact and will no longer be dependent on the USD.

Countries like India, China, Africa etc will be superpowers in the future, just watch. Hell, even Mexico might boom in the future once they actually tap into their resources.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Its actually cheaper to live on base depending on your rank and MOS. Some don't even qualify to live off base until reaching certain requirements in their contract.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: supermilkman

Just watch when all these underdeveloped countries become first world nations with the BRICS pact and will no longer be dependent on the USD.

There it is. We exploited our resources, and sold all the product to them, then moved overseas and showed them how to operate. Now they can be the suppliers and builders for the world.

US will dissolve to needy nation status. Unless they blow up the world first, trying to maintain control. I think the world is tired of US hegemony, the Petro Dollar, World Bank, military "interventions" and occupation.

Us out of everywhere, Yankee go home!

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: stabstab

Darwin.

They will die or take care of themselves and putting money into the hands of the people is what's going to make that paradigm possible.

Really? What you had proposed sounded genocidal but what you have just said basically is. Entire families should just be cut off of food assistance and starve?(just one example) What if they live in low income-high unemployment communities? What if they were born into poverty and ultimately received a very poor highschool education with a classroom size of 35+ students and an overworked teacher? What if they were raised by a single mother partly as a result of unfair drug laws, profiling and prisons for profit?

I agree that there are indeed systemic problems in many of these communities. The poverty has been shown to be generational by study after study. Luckily there has actually been improvement in the past 3 decades according to the stats.

I do think.... Actually know there are numerous people who totally take advantage of the welfare system. I've lived in poor inner city neighborhoods, I've had neighbors who literally took in as many foster kids as possible for the checks each month or single mothers who had multiple children with multiple absent father's just to survive off of the welfare check. I have met some people who have done this, a few have been my neighbors. I am however very curious as to how widespread this phenomena this may be. I've heard a lot about women having a baby from an unknown father and how happy she was to get a check while doing my laundry at the laundromat. I'm in no way saying that this very prevelant but there is a big problem here. When one looks at welfare + drug policy + profiling + pay to play justice system + for profit prisons a pattern emerges. This seems to perhaps be an economic model for someone. That's also forgetting about the advantage of a program of divide and conquer. As far as the divide part? Well that's where the social construct of race comes in! Just like gender, religion, political party, etc. That way we can all just hate each other instead of combating the ever present oligarchy!

There is a reason for welfare. Of course it helps people but it is just one component of a plan to not only keep the poor poor but also to divide the population on economic, racial, ethnic, gender and other lines. Cut off that vital resource? Kill very very many people.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: stabstab
Easy there chief we have far too many people on those programs who would quite literally perish without them.

Yeah! Think about all of those Federal and State Union workers who administer these programs.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: supermilkman

There it is. We exploited our resources, and sold all the product to them, then moved overseas and showed them how to operate. Now they can be the suppliers and builders for the world.

US will dissolve to needy nation status. Unless they blow up the world first, trying to maintain control. I think the world is tired of US hegemony, the Petro Dollar, World Bank, military "interventions" and occupation.

Us out of everywhere, Yankee go home!

Sad but true.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: stabstab

Darwin.

They will die or take care of themselves and putting money into the hands of the people is what's going to make that paradigm possible.

You are a moron.

Sure, lets give money directly to people who have no idea how to manage it. There is NO WAY you could do a better job of managing social programs than the government.

Now go away.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join