It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

End all social welfare programs immediately

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

This thinking college tuition

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Just because some take advantage of the system, doesn't mean it isn't needed. Leave it to the public to decide? Are you joking? An old man get by a car, and everyone just drives by him and ignores him. Another guy gets robbed and beat, and falls off the curb to the ground. No one helps him, and a taxi runs him over and kills him. You trust people to help others? Sorry.. we are not mature enough as a society to leave such important matters to ourselves.

It's a sad pity you feel someone suffering from something that was not their doing should just die because it's Darwinism at work.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
another idiotic, fringe-right thread on ATS... lol...

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

If you don't want to see people suffer than organize a foundation and seek money from businesses and individuals and help people and stop forcing it down my throat.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Again. That's all well and good until the latest bubble breaks with a new Great Depression or Recession. And it will. Charities can't handle it during economic downturns. They have to greatly reduce giving as they are not receiving as much if any income. That happened big-time from 2008-2011 or 12. I have yet to see an answer to that from you and it's my third time asking. Charities can't do it all. America has already been there and done that and it wasn't pretty.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

If you don't want to see people suffer than organize a foundation and seek money from businesses and individuals and help people and stop forcing it down my throat.

Human psychology works against you here, because the vast majority of what people are willing to give goes to people like them, but the poor and others in need have few peers that have anything to give. To give some examples:
Christians overwhelmingly give to other Christians
Athletes give to other athletes
Local patrons give to those in their community

What happens when you have a poor community with few wealthy residents? It results in there not being anyone to give. If you're a Jew your local church won't give to you (or in other cases, they take you in for faith based help, where you have to pray to a Jesus you don't believe in). If you're an athlete you might sponsor programs like after school sports to keep kids off drugs, but you're much likely to feed a single mother with two kids.

That's where the government steps in, it helps people without them fitting into a preconceived group, and has even created anti discrimination laws. The whole point of private giving is that people can be discriminatory. There's room to be discriminatory with charity, but not all charity can be designed that way.

If my understanding of your current situation is accurate, you're on the receiving end of this discrimination right now, the fields you're wanting to get into mostly educate through an apprenticeship program that picks and chooses who gets in and who doesn't, and you're finding it difficult/expensive to go the college route instead because there are little to no grants and scholarships for people like you, but there are plenty for others.
edit on 28-4-2016 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   

This is assuming that enough people will contribute voluntarily to make such a program successful. I can almost guarantee that there won't be enough donations to make them as successful as they should be. America is materialistic for the most part, people don't care about their neighbors, only the next iPhone or iPad.

Look at Black Friday for an example of the materialistic society we live in. People will fight other people for the newest gadget but not for the well being of their fellow man. Pretty sad really.

Even if these programs brought in enough money, look at the charities we have today and how they claim to be "non-profit" yet are multi-million dollar businesses who misappropriate their funds for their own means and not the cause they claim to represent. Why would it be any different for these new charities you seem to think will be successful?
edit on 4/28/2016 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   

One day you will eventually have a loved one that depends on these "social programs" for survival. By the way, if you live anywhere in the US, you already rely on social programs for survival. What the hell do you think a city is? Do you think the infrastructure magically appeared and people just moved in?

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Who have you helped recently?

I find it largely hypocritical when people have this perspective but never personally do anything for anyone because they already contribute.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I believe corporate welfare should end immediately. Any corporation that cant survive on its own, shouldn't. It wasn't all that long ago that the majority of taxes were paid by corporations, and they somehow managed to not only survive but to flourish.

Social programs that benefit individuals should be retooled to eliminate fraud. There should be different kinds of programs also. People who have conditions or circumstances in which they need aid in order to survive should be on that program and receive the assistance they need. People who only need temporary aid should receive temporary aid, and assistance in becoming self-sufficient.

What I find disturbing is the state of affairs that sees people left helpless and without hope. Not enough aid to live any kind of life worth living, and no one willing to cull the herd. The people on the bottom get help, the people on top don't need help. The ones in the middle, especially the very low middle, are the ones who are destined to suffer the longest. They get just enough to stay alive and prolong their suffering. And more and more people are falling in to that category than ever before.

If we took all the money we give to billion dollar corporations, other countries, and waste on fraud and pool it all together, I wonder if it would be enough to feed, clothe, shelter, and provide health services to every American citizen, especially our veterans.

It angers me so much to know that there are children right here in the US that are dying of hunger every day. We can't find a way to feed our own children but we can give multi million dollar tax breaks to billion dollar corporations - who aren't struggling by any means. Its all profit. It makes me sick.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

No one is dying of hunger in the US and if they are they are clueless. If it's a kid that kid shouldn't be on the streets.

Practically every church in the country will give you food if you ask them especially Catholics.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Who have you helped recently?

everyone that receives assistance from my taxes.

I find it largely hypocritical when people have this perspective but never personally do anything for anyone because they already contribute.

Why do you assume the taxes I pay are the only assistance I give? 8 of the 10 people I have working for me are felons that likely couldn't get a job outside of a minimum wage one, and they make a lot more than that, trust me. Is that not helping someone? 8x over?

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Oh good at least your not a hypocrite.

I applaud your efforts and thanks.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   

No one is dying of hunger in the US and if they are they are clueless.

I wonder how many people would starve to death if their food stamps were taken away? I work 40+ hours a week yet still don't make enough money to pay my rent and utilities, pay for gas, pay to put food on my table, etc. so I have to resort to foods stamps.

Do I WANT to be on food stamps? No, but they are necessary because my job doesn't pay me enough to live comfortably. That's how it is for millions of Americans, their employers don't want to pay them enough so that they can buy that vacation home, second private jet, collector car, etc.

Damn the ones who make them their money being able to afford food, they are peasants to them, lesser human beings and don't deserve the luxury of being able to afford food. Living is not cheap in today's society but they don't care because they have theirs and screw everyone else.

Not everyone who relies on social welfare is a lazy freeloader, some are genuinely in a tight spot because they don't get paid enough doing what they do. Sure, they could go to college but a job is not guaranteed and they will most likely be in debt for the rest of their lives. What kind of life is that? Living your entire life knowing you owe someone something and having to pay that loan off every single month, sometimes hundreds of dollars a month, meaning that money you worked for was for basically nothing, it went down a black hole.

What has happened to you? You used to be more compassionate than what you've shown in this thread. Has someone stolen your username?

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   
onequestion:

I've come to the realization that the biggest problem holding back wage increases and purchasing power in the US economy is social welfare and corporate welfare and other safety nets that prevent small businesses from paying higher wages and building capital for expansion.

Don't talk so utterly and repugnantly stupid! Do you want a stable country in which to live and raise a family? Going by your irrational thinking you don't. Welfare programs act like societal safety valves, and help to keep societies within a semblance of stability. Ultimately that is what you are paying for with your taxes. Without a stable society you can't have a stable life, one in which you can pursue 'life, liberty and happiness'. I'll tell you now, you are no more deserving of those societal virtues than anyone else, and no one else is less deserving than you.

Your selfish and insular indifferent attitude would bring the whole of society down on your head and that of many others. People will not allow themselves or their families to go hungry, just so you can have a few dollars more, they will come and attempt to take what you have got, what anybody has that will bring them relief (no matter how brief) from their daily struggle, and especially so if people like you tell them to simply die because you consider them an inconvenience.

In March, 2016, the national unemployment rate in America was just over 5% of the population, equating to nearly 8 million people. This does not include the disabled or housewives, and such. Each one will have a reason for being unemployed, and struggling whilst unemployed. Do you think society wants those millions suddenly deciding to go take what working people have...no, it doesn't.

Welfare programs are meant to be temporary aids to help people get to a position where they can become financially independent of the state. They are not long-term solutions. So, it is the remit and mandatory charge upon government by the expectations of the people who elect it to ensure that there is a fertile industrial environment by which the unemployed can seek and find gainful employment. This is the humanitarian way, something you clearly don't care for.

The best way to reduce the welfare program bill, is to give the unemployed jobs, and turn them into contributors to society once again. It's not rocket science. I'm not religious in any way whatsoever, but I think you need to digest the following, and learn to do likewise (can't believe I'm doing this!).

The Parable of the Good Samaritan

25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”

27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’[a]; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”

29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii[c] and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: elysiumfire

They will go and get entry level jobs that open up after the market stops oppressing small businesses

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

a reply to: elysiumfire

They will go and get entry level jobs that open up after the market stops oppressing small businesses

The market doesn't oppress small business, large corporations do. How many mom and pop retail stores do you think Walmart has put out of business across rural America?
edit on 4/28/2016 by BubbaJoe because: I can't type

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: BubbaJoe

Well I'm about to start a two year program and the local recruiter told me the demand is through the roof wonder why?

Corporations are part of the market.
edit on 4/28/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Please think.

The trouble is that most people cannot "think" without succumbing to emotion, which usually leads to emotional reasoning. Emotional reasoning is the nemesis of logic. On a topic that requires logical reasoning, there is not much room for emotional reasoning if your goal is to do what is beneficial for humanity.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   

a reply to: BubbaJoe

Well I'm about to start a two year program and the local recruiter told me the demand is through the roof wonder why?

Corporations are part of the market.

I apprenticed as an automotive machinist, and before I got hurt I was a master. I learned the basics I needed in 30 days, and spent the next 15 years learning everyday. College is not the answer for everyone, and I did my apprenticeship at almost 40. Find what you love and pursue it, the money comes, the happiness comes, but be prepared when life comes crashing down. I never expected to lose 75% of the use of my right arm.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join