It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Catastrophizing of Human Quirks

page: 1

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
The debate and obsession surrounding transgenders is really starting to grate on my nerves, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. The fact is, men with feminine traits and women with masculine traits have always existed, and in reality, these people simply have personal quirks in their physicality, mindset, and behavior that are no different than, say, left-handedness or a stutter when speaking. These quirks are not intrinsically bad or good, they're just a fact of being human. Everyone has some kind of eccentricity that deviates from the norm, but some of these eccentricities are more visible than others. Some are also far easier to hijack for political, religious, or whatever other obnoxious purposes.

This catastrophizing of minor human quirks is a distinctly modern idiocy. In the past, more particularly the ancient past, we have no indication in any historical or archaeological record that people gave a flying f*ck about "gender identity". In some tribal/band societies, we actually witness a broader acceptance of people who do not fit distinctly into one template. Of course, it's likely that some in the ancient world were less accepting, but somehow I doubt their disapproval reached the pandemic, hysterical levels we are seeing today.

So far as I can see, both of the mainstream American political factions are guilty of this. The conservative types, obviously, are guilty of hijacking the transgender issue to push religious and political agendas, and to galvanize the more extreme segments of their constituency. But modern liberals are also culpable, particularly the "SJW" flavor of liberal. In their obsessive-compulsive need to label themselves and others, they have created entire identity groups based around otherwise meaningless, minor quirks. It is no different than someone labeling and defining themselves by their left-handedness..... totally ridiculous.

I also think that were it not for this endemic catastrophizing, "transgenders" as we know them would not even exist. Many of them would not feel compelled to have sex-change surgeries and undergo other extreme transformations, because there would be no reason to. People undergo these transformations because they feel they have no other choice, and they must absolutely fit into one gender template or the other to be socially accepted. So they have surgery and take hormones rather than choosing to remain somewhere in between, which is really their "natural" state of being.

Of course, I'm making some assumptions here, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Also, if you're offended by my use of the words "quirk" and "eccentricity", I don't care. These things are quirks and eccentricities by definition, like any other traits that deviate from the wider norm. Are quirks and eccentricities bad? Absolutely not; they're part of what makes us human.

I put this under general conspiracies because this is absolutely a conspiracy-- a fabricated mass media-fueled plot that's being pushed on us for the purpose of social division. The ones who suffer are transgender people themselves, and the manifold spectrum of imbeciles who fall for it (we all suffer for our own stupidity).

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Very good post in fact this happens to coincide with everything I'm thinking right now.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Talorc
People undergo these transformations because they feel they have no other choice, and they must absolutely fit into one gender template or the other to be socially accepted. So they have surgery and take hormones rather than choosing to remain somewhere in between, which is really their "natural" state of being.

Your post seems very well-intended and has some truth to it.

However, a transgender person with actual gender dysphoria may still need hormones and bottom surgery because the discomfort comes from having the wrong chemistry and genitalia. Hormones therapy isn't just for developing the body, it's for alleviating dysphoria by giving the brain the hormones it expects.

The side effects (breast growth and general feminizing for transwomen and deeper voice, muscles, and facial hair for transmen) are indeed what causes many otherwise comfortable transfolk from just living an androgynous life, happy with their chemistry. Modern western society no longer accommodates for androgyny because people have come to demand that others fit in one box or the other and anything in between is a "special snowflake". While some trans people genuinely feel the need to perform as their gender, many others only do it because they know they won't be accepted as anything "in between".

I also want to add that honest speculation into the subject is very refreshing to see. I've been ignoring these topics on ATS because I want to retain my faith in humanity.

edit on 27-4-2016 by Abysha because: added stuffs

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
These quirky topic always seems to originate in the US, i hear nothing about these "social" issues where i live (Denmark, Europe), at least not as loud, making headlines or debates.

The only place i hear about it, is ironically on ATS.

Maybe we are just more accepting over here, i know that a lot of hospitals are using gender free toilet/ bathrooms to solve the issue, and nobody minds.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

originally posted by: Talorc
People undergo these transformations because they feel they have no other choice, and they must absolutely fit into one gender template or the other to be socially accepted. So they have surgery and take hormones rather than choosing to remain somewhere in between, which is really their "natural" state of being.

Your post seems very well-intended and has some truth to it.

However, person gender genitalia, Hormones therapy body dysphoria hormones expectations.

The side effects...things no one hears some thing about androgyny...chemistry. Modern western society no longer accommodates and totally untrue....so and so on we can all call someone some form of "special snowflake". While some trans didn't hear it not sure what this means genuinely.... performance. as their anything "in between".

I totally disagree with your last paragraph. Modern society didn't just start getting randomly harsh about ''gender.'' The majority of people just don't want to hear terms like "bottom-whatever''..I'm not sure I want to either, and it seems like every time a post like this comes up, someone is always trying to irk. I don't remember anyone calling people who dress like other things a "special snow whatever" are you sure this isn't just you...working that magic again???

edit on 27-4-2016 by breakingbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
These quirky topic always seems to originate in the US, i hear nothing about these "social" issues where i live (Denmark, Europe), at least not as loud, making headlines or debates.

Maybe we are just more accepting over here, i know that a lot of hospitals are using gender free toilet/ bathrooms to solve the issue, and nobody minds.

Religion is soooo politicized here where one party has been engineered to be perceived as religious and the other irreligious. Because of this, backlash results when something happens that irritates the religious majority (like marriage equality), and then that party will take it out on the closest demographic to the last one they just got their hands slapped for antagonizing.

Right now, it's trans people who are their easiest target and (in their minds) are closely related to gay folks. And Trump has made it clear that going after people related to your enemy is a perfectly justified tactic. They will use fear of whoever it's acceptable to hate as a tool to gain voters and hurt the opposition.

That's the main reason. Backlash. People have been pooping and peeing next to trans people for decades in this nation and nobody cared until marriage equality passed and they needed something new.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye

Religion is soooo politicized here where one party has been engineered to be perceived as religious and the other irreligious. Because of this, backlash results when something happens that irritates the religious majority (like marriage equality), and then that party will take it out on the closest demographic to the last one they just got their hands slapped for antagonizing.

Right now, it's trans people who are their easiest target and (in their minds) are closely related to gay folks. And Trump has made it clear that going after people related to your enemy is a perfectly justified tactic. They will use fear of whoever it's acceptable to hate as a tool to gain voters and hurt the opposition.

That's the main reason. Backlash. People have been pooping and peeing next to trans people for decades in this nation and nobody cared until marriage equality passed and they needed something new.

You seem to wish.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: breakingbs

I totally disagree with your last paragraph. Modern society didn't just start getting randomly harsh about gender. The majority of people just don't want to hear terms like "bottom-whatever''..I'm not sure I want to either, and it seems like every time a post like this comes up, someone is always trying to irk. I don't remember anyone calling people who dress like other things a "special snow whatever" are you sure this isn't just you...working that magic again???

Are you kidding? Every time a politicized identity issue comes up, people start throwing around the term "special snowflake".

And by "bottom-surgery", I was referring to the gender confirmation surgery. It's difficult to have a broad discussion about the topic without that being brought up. Is hearing that a trigger for conservatives?
edit on 27-4-2016 by Abysha because: formattinz

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Talorc

Welcome to the new 'America'.

Our politicians now give more voice to the mentally ill and fetish freaks than they do their 'normal' constituents. I might like to believe a lot of things about myself that aren't true. That doesn't mean everyone needs to play along with my little indulgence. We need to stop enabling these people and get them help.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: breakingbs

I totally disagree with your last paragraph. Modern society didn't just start getting randomly harsh about gender. The majority of people just don't want to hear terms like "bottom-whatever''..I'm not sure I want to either, and it seems like every time a post like this comes up, someone is always trying to irk. I don't remember anyone calling people who dress like other things a "special snow whatever" are you sure this isn't just you...working that magic again???

Are you kidding? Every time a politicized identity issue comes up, people start throwing around the term "special snowflake".

I expected this, and it's so predictable. You're taking terms people banter and injecting them into your own format to cause other little problems that don't exist.

About the rest of your statement, refer to my prev. comment!

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Nm...skipped out

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Nothing much to add, only that I agree with the OP. I just wonder which group is next.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
In ancient alchemy, the highest level of human is the androgyne, followed by the the mineral man, vegetable man and the lowest- the animal man. Here's an excerpt from Scott de Hart & Joseph P. Farrel's Transhumanism: A Grimoire of Alchemical Agendas (Introduction p.5):

IF WE WERE TO TELL YOU that there is an alchemical agenda that transcends religions, secret societies and spans the millennia, you would probably - and rightly - at least entertain the suspicion that we had taken momentary leave of our sanity. If we were to tell you, further, that this alchemical agenda spans virtually every discipline that you can think of - from biology to history, physics, topology, art, music - even, as we shall see in the main text, literary criticism - you would probably entertain that idea more seriously, for that, indeed, is what we are going to tell you in these pages, for superintending all the alchemical images and their implied agendas that we survey here, there is one standing out above them all, that both compels the agendas, and simultaneously reveals some of them as forms of false alchemy; the image is that of primordial simplicity, or androgyny, or “Nothingness,” or physical medium, or aether, or “ocean of quantum ;ux,” or Grand Architect of the Universe. The image goes by many names, depending on the fashion of the age, and the particular agenda emphasized, but it is, nonetheless, the same image.

edit on 09 11 2015 by MaxTamesSiva because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   

When people haven't got anything meaningful to do ,their thoughts drift to sex. We have a modern society obsessed with sex . In fact the whole society is masturbating, its way to the next crisis which will then focus the mind.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity

When people haven't got anything meaningful to do ,their thoughts drift to sex. We have a modern society obsessed with sex . In fact the whole society is masturbating, its way to the next crisis which will then focus the mind.

I can't speak to this regarding transgenders because I have no idea how often they think about sex.

But yes, that is true for a lot of people. Just look at your average office worker, he'll look like a sad, tired chimp with dark circles under his eyes who probably spent the night sullenly masturbating to artificial dehumanizing filth on the computer screen. At the same time, he's too meek and afraid to actually approach the women he wants, so he just broods about how "unlucky" he is. Maybe he decides to get a gun.

It's a sad cycle and it's obvious what this crap does to men and women both. They push this poison to make us docile and mentally disoriented.

But this really has litte to do with transgenders, though they're undoubtably victims of it as well.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   

This catastrophizing of minor human quirks ............

define ` minor ` - its not a trick question - and to speed the discusion heres why i want you to do it :

human quirks - fall across a spectrum - from the barely noticable to the utterly bat crap

specifically addressing ` gender identity issues ` i personally know a range - from a young lady who wears only mens // unisex cloths - to a pre-op transexual - and have seen evidence of a far greater range

the point ? - now we actually have the freedom to do what we want [ in large swathes of the world ] without fear of retaliation

200 years ago - societies that self identified as " civilised " denied people basic rights and freedoms based on thier skin colour and gender

no all we have done is concentrate the oppression on a smaller segment of society

.................is a distinctly modern idiocy.

as oposed to the distinctly ancient idiocy of executing homsexuals

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

as oposed to the distinctly ancient idiocy of executing homsexuals

Yeah.... go ahead and find me some records of systematic executions of homosexuals in antiquity. Or wait, is that just something you pulled out of your arse.....
edit on 27-4-2016 by Talorc because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   

holey strawman - so levitical law was lust for show was it ?

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
The whole fussing over "trans" issues has been elevated to an art form.

"oh no, Where should transgenders pee and poo?"

lmao
edit on 28-4-2016 by clevargenuis because: (no reason given)

top topics

join