It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shed 5

page: 146
<< 143  144  145    147  148  149 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Hope everything is ok Bob.

Hi Quantum!

Tiamat, checking your link now.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Good late afternoon. I hope all is great and your night is better!

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384

Hi everyone. I'm just taking a quick peak at "the Now of the Shed" and this caught my eye:

My professor says I write well, but that the way I write wouldn't draw in as many readers as a more standard prose and that it would be good practice to alter my method of writing; I suppose I agree.

When something has me pause like that, it's because there is something that is tugging at me at a deeper level, so I stay still and try to read what it is within myself that is trying to say something...and I KNOW I am saying what you already know, but I want to validate what you are saying, just a tad more.

Tiamat, you have your own style and it suits you. It flows out of you. Like I said the other day, reading that prose to the other member had me burst into tears in a pubic place, and I maintain a certain self control that never allows that to happen. I didn't know who wrote that because I was on a phone and had enlarged the text boxes, and that covered the author's name. It was only later that I realized that it was you and I was both impressed and grateful that I had been given that glimpse into your soul.

From my perspective, if you can write something that elicits a strong emotion out of the reader, then you have written something good. Hold on to that because that is something that can not be taught. Why would you want to change in order to "draw in as many readers as a more standard prose"? ...Being standard is just that.

I was pleased to see that you wrote that you suppose you agree.

Such encounters can create a moment of ambiguity within us, so subtle that we ourselves miss it. I am highlighting this moment to make sure you don't, so it doesn't become the stuff that writer's block is made of, further on down the line.

Years ago, I experimented just a little bit with writing...just tiny little thoughts...but I felt that they might be good. When my husband did a two month externship with his mentor, I learned that her husband taught a writing class, so I gingerly asked him to take a look at what I had written....He did, and then commented, with a subliminal yawn, that I should remove the last line of every story...I was a bit embarrassed, but withdrew with my thanks and took another look at my stuff...I just didn't agree with him, but I thought that he must know something that I didn't, and not being able to reconcile myself to leaving out the last sentences of my thoughts, I just quit writing... He had done something terrible. He had "introduced doubt" into what I was doing naturally, and instantly created a writer's block that wasn't there before....But there's an odd twist to this story...

Years later still, I had accidentally ran into his wife in a restaurant and asked if I could join her. (I didn't know then that I would never see her again as she was about to die, so I'm glad I had the nerve to approach her when I did). I let her know that I "had never forgotten" when her husband told me to chop off the last sentence of everything I wrote...I expected some sort of interest or sympathy or apology or something, but instead she just laughed and exclaimed, "Oh! He says that to every student automatically!"

You know those moments when you just look at someone, speechless, and sort of glad that they can't read your thoughts?

So, my point is that you have the opportunity here to be sly. It is indeed a good exercise to be able to develop a different method -- it might come in handy some day, and you need to momentarily please your professors -- but keep these two styles separate and distinct. Don't let his "improvements" replace your style.

I know that you know this, but I don't know if you know that you know this. I'm offering this "just in case..."

CF

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Thank you! Kind of blah, but I'm ok. How are you tonight?

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ClownFish

Very well said.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Hey Fish(is that a proper shortening of your name because Clown felt a little mean). Thanks for taking the time to respond. I mean. My professor does want the writing to create an emotion, but in a less "philosophical prose" as he said it. I can understand the reasoning because like I said to him(when I went off topic as I was leaving) that I enjoyed writing and helping people with emotional issues(topic was future job/career), but that I knew my style of writing isn't very popular among people because well, people like simple sentence structure and basic lines that are easy to understand. I'm not saying what I write is complex or hard to understand(in the good sense), but that it is not the style they like(sorry I can't really explain what I mean with this). So I can understand. Here is a sentence he agreed with: I have been raised in a world of liberal values by a single mother who was far from the dreams she held.

Ah yes doubt. I'm not sure if I've had much doubt about what I write. I know if I don't like what I write(or rather it is not good enough to share) so I get rid of it and rewrite it in a way that I feel the flow is fine. If I like something I write, but have a better idea I keep it, but replace it. I've done this numerous times with the love story I am writing here in the Shed, I simply italicize it in the document. I personally think people exaggerate the compliments greatly. They make me feel happy for a moment(and yours about that writing for woody for longer), but then I think to myself that the person is wrong and it is terrible or average, perhaps at best above average. Sometimes I genuinely like it. At least for a while. Hmm, to remove the last sentence? But why? What are you endings like? Mind sharing a story with us(or more!)?

That sounds like lazy advice frankly. And terrible advice. What if the last line was the best line? I will write as I like. I told him I find that way bland and if I could write more in my style at the end of paper when it is the autobiographical portion and he said if I transition in styles, then yes. So I'll try that.

Tiamat

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Let me know when you do!

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I have a pretty funny picture to show you guys in a bit.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tiamat384
Let me know when you do!

I checked the thread out and there have been others like it in the past. It is scary that someone would try to play God and pick and choose who should live or die or even be born.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

Taps fingers on the table. Times up! LOL
Ok, I'll be good and wait.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Yeah, but surely that has happened and will happen - as I mentioned in the thread about here in China.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Exactly. It takes our rights away as I said there. Agh. My mom just riled me up with my nationalist ideology. Not the emotion I want, but I like it. Argh! How are you now?

link   
a reply to: 1984hasarrived
It's a 2 child policy now right?

link   
ClownFish I haven't caught up but wanted to respond!
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

I couldn't write it any better.

I was lucky. When I was in 10th grade I had an amazing English teacher. He thought that there was language and then there was writing. Two different things that happen to cross the same paths.

Tiamat I love your writing. Give him proper language for your good grade; but when you write we get to share your emotion and I would hate to lose that!!!

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384

Hi there...thanks for the reply...I can see that I had everything out of context, but like I said, I was taking a peak and that sentence just had me pause to consider.

Anyway, I appreciate the question and the hesitation over calling me Clown. I hadn't thought of that. Lately there have been a lot of threads about clowns and I'm hoping it's just a bit of synchronicity and has nothing to do with me! I keep wanting to add a one liner: "Hey..." I did that once, not knowing we aren't supposed to do that, so now I just laugh and think "hey!" and get my own little chuckle.

Gordi called me Fishy when he welcomed me. Maybe it just sounded cool, coming from him. Some people were saying CF and it took me a while to figure...go figure...so CF or Fishy...whatever you like. But I agree, being called Clown sort of has me wince just a tad. Thanks for asking.

Good night!

CF...or is it Fishy?....(You introduced doubt! lol)

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   
You didn't have it out of context. What you said is true. Don't doubt!!

I'll stick to Fishy. CF sounds too formal! Hmm, there's a conspiracy concerning you?! Well, perhaps you're from some sort of alphabet agency! Keeping an eye open at all times.

Heh, good night, don't doubt and share some writing
(If you want, but to dispel doubt I'll tell you that you do)

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Jess, don't worry, our Tiamat will always have his passionate and poetic and philosophical style. It is a part of him I believe. It flows so naturally and so beautifully. He will never lose that.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Thank you, I had a long day but my night is great. Just mixed a bloody martini. Effen Vodka with tomato juice and added horseradish sauce and some garlic lol I am fine now!

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75
How is your evening?

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Fishy, I too would love for you to share your writing with us! Very much so! Goodnight to you and sweet dreams!

top topics

<< 143  144  145    147  148  149 >>

join