It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shed 5

page: 141
<< 138  139  140    142  143  144 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom
I would love to have all the babies running around. They are sooo VERY cute!!!

a reply to: Quantum12
Sorry don't know much about ducks. Chiefs mom????? I think the guys are prettier there too

edit on 5/4/2016 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75
Here's something weird, there's a hen here that has spurs. I know it's a hen because she's laid eggs.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark
The chickens my ex raised the hens had spurs too. They just weren't as big as the roosters. But they can still get ya! Nothing like walking up on a momma hen sitting on her nest. She will make ya move, and wake up half the neighborhood doing it! LOL

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom

LOL you get NO egg from a rooster, just the hens. OOOO and you dont need a rooster for the hens to lay eggs, either.

Martin is way faster!

Hold on here, you don't need a rooster for the hen to lay eggs?
Do you need the rooster for the hen to have babies?
Or are hens like Virgin Mary sorry I spelled Mary wrong I am Jewish
Lol
edit on 5 4 2016 by Quantum12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
So I heard. I miss warm weather.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   

LOL yes, you need the rooster for babies.

And ducks are the same as chickens, but the males are drakes. I have 3 one year olds right now, and found out drakes will rape chickens with no female ducks around. Dirty birds!

But the babies are even cuter than baby chicks, and most will bond with humans better.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Hens will lay eggs regardless of whether or not they are being kept in the company of a rooster. Your laying hen's body is naturally intended to produce an egg once every 24 to 27 hours and it will form the egg regardless of whether the egg is actively fertilized during its formation.

The hens just keep laying eggs and if someone gets the eggs she will lay more. An endless supply of eggs.....

Chiefsmom beat me this time! LOL
edit on 5/4/2016 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
We got lucky with the rooster we adopted. He has very long spurs, but he is very nice and just gets out of your way when in the coop.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Apparently a male duck can kill a hen through mating. I read that here after a google search.

www.backyardchickens.com...

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Did they ever Growl at you? We have our first one setting, and she actually growled at us when we were candling them. I couldn't believe it, luckily I had two witness.

And yes, I had VERY heavy work gloves on. She was pecking the crap out of my hands.
edit on 4-5-2016 by chiefsmom because: addition

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384
There's a duck here that mates with a couple of the hens. It's pretty weird.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Yeah, that is why I adopted the two girls. I didn't want to have to kill him, if he started on my hens. And why I ordered more.

I'm actually surprised I haven't heard "ENOUGH" from the hubby yet. LOL

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   
OMG that sounds awful!!! Who knew????

Yes, isn't that the craziest thing!!! The growl and that call thingy they do as a warning is crazy. We used to wait until the sun set and then sneak up on them. They would just do that little call thing but don't peck as bad at night. (As long as you can get your hand under her without knocking her off the nest)

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Now you have me pulling my hair out! Ok you need a rooster to have a baby chick or a peep? You don't need a rooster to give a hen a egg?
OMGEE, I am going crazy. Does the rooster fertilize the egg? It has a hard shell oh no help
edit on 5 4 2016 by Quantum12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Yeah, he has to have sex with her, to fertilize. But you won't get a baby unless the hen goes broody (sets) and you let her. Well, unless you use an incubator. LOL

Otherwise, you just collect them and eat them everyday. No babies.
edit on 4-5-2016 by chiefsmom because: addition

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

So a duck can mate with a chicken?? You get a cluck?

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
When I was a kid I had to go to a girl's house to wait for the school bus. Her family got eggs from a local farmer. I remember one time they were cooking breakfast. Her mom cracked and egg and all this blood and a dead chick came out. Oh the screams!

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Oh so you cannot eat a fertilized chicken egg? How can the person tell if it is fertilized?

Ok never mind I will just drive over and we can chat! Lol
Who's on first what no what's on second who? Lol

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

When I lived in Ill. there was a farmer who had chickens, every couple of weeks we would get a dozen from her. Big difference compared to store bought.

These were a couple of the one's she had. I remember the Blue laced Red wyandotte. Beautiful bird. (I didn't know what it was called until I looked it up)

Then she had some goofy looking ones with tuffs on the sides of there heads. Auracana?

They were so pretty. You could just sit there and watch them for a long time. LOL!!

I also have an Aunt that lives in Door County. She raise's fryers.
Here's the weird thing. She has this clothes line running from here garage to the barn. Have I told you this story? LOL!!

Well you probably know what I'm going to say. LOL!

edit on 4-5-2016 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: SyxPak
a reply to: crappiekat

Hey Kat? Here's how I looked last time I wore a Cowboy Hat and Cowboy Boots!!
Yah I was a chubby one back then!! LMAO!!!

Awwwwww, What a cutie.

I had to post it again.

top topics

<< 138  139  140    142  143  144 >>

join