It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shed 5

page: 124
<< 121  122  123    125  126  127 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: ClownFish

It was a sad day. But there is still hope. Always is till the end. And the end ain't so bad. So long as we are loved and/or remembered.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
I'm kind of proud of myself right now. I think I showed remarkable restraint. I saw in a thread where somebody (not mentioning names) said that he/she is afraid of clowns because they're scary and wear makeup. I was so tempted to post clown pics as a reply, as well as some smart asses remark. I actually had to fight myself not to lol.

You did well. "Reaction posting" (even in jest) is a slippery slope and very, very downhill. It just breeds negativity. So, by making the decision not to do that, you helped the community on ATS. And yes, yourself as well.

Have I had times when I really wanted to post something snarky, sarcastic or otherwise not very nice, even in jest? No, not really. Well okay, sometimes. But only on days that have a "y" in them.

And especially before I've had my second coffee. My guardian angel doesn't fly down to sit by me until she knows I have enough sense in my head to listen to her gentle voice of guidance.

So quite often, I write up the post. Then I read it through, think about what this could do to the other person and to the ATS community in general. Like, invite more of the same, so the downhill slope becomes a landslide of negativity that makes good members run away, sometimes never to return. And I have always (from day 1!) considered what it will do to me, because I read the T&Cs when I joined. I resolved that as I liked ATS, I wanted to stick around a while and not get my account terminated for breaking those T&Cs.

So, when I feel that indignation or whatever and write my vitriolic reply, I read it through, remember where I am, and finally listen to that little angel saying, "Mike, don't be an idiot. You're getting all wound up over some pixels on a screen, words written by someone you have never even set eyes on."

Or if I want to post something in jest but it's hurtful and I known darned well it is, then I hear, "Why do you want to hurt someone you don't even know? What makes you think you have the right to make another person's day worse?"

So, I click "page back" to wipe out my comments and just let it go.

Yes, just let it all go.

Heck, we don't need to be getting all wound up over some pixels on a screen. Yes, we do and it's natural and very human, but we don't need to submit ourselves to repeat doses of it. I mean, life has enough hardships already. Why give ourselves more, when all we have to do is click away and find something else to read that is way, way better for the mind and soul?

Okay, if the person's comments are (in our opinion) a breach of the T&Cs, then alert staff and let them deal with it. But getting involved in mud-slinging over words on a screen? Why bother?

There's a saying here that "you are responsible for your own posts". And it's very true. It also means that we are not responsible for what anyone else writes, even if they are replying to something we wrote. We can only be called to account for what we do. The eight-year-old kids' playground argument that "they started it and I was just fighting back" simply doesn't fly.

You let it go and you feel proud about that -- and rightly so. You may have saved another human being from needless hurt. That's always something that's worth feeling good about.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384

You're right. When we still had our vet hospital, my personal motto was, "As long as there's a pulse, there's hope." And sometimes we could tweak those boundaries.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75
Good morning!
What's for breakfast? Coffee!

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   
HI there Mike, good morning.

a reply to: JustMike

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Good morning, Mike!

Wow.

Can you post that on every thread? Nice.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: 1984hasarrived
Good morning! Well, it's actually almost 2:30 pm here, so I should have used "goodmae" (good morning/afternoon/evening) and covered all the bases. But it's the thought that counts.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
yeah it is indeed, and hi also to CF and Tiamat if he is still around.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   
[[[HUGS]]] Yes, that was beautiful!!! It amazes me every day how people I have never met can touch me so deeply.

a reply to: Tiamat384
That is so true!!! Hope is an amazing thing

A VERY good reply. I can’t tell you the times I have typed a response only to delete it and walk away. I try to treat everyone exactly like I would if we were speaking. I notice often on the boards that someone will just come by yell and leave. I don’t act like that in real life so I don’t act like that here. I try to carry on meaningful conversations that will help me grow.
*Hands Mike a hot cup of coffee*

I think you are in a different time zone also. Are you coming or going? LOL

edit on 5/3/2016 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Thank you. That took about an hour to write up, as I thought through an awful lot of things. (Second coffee took a while to kick in!)

It's directed just as much at myself as anyone else and I hope that sense comes through. So, I'm not preaching, just telling it like it is.

Our own egos are our best friend and worst enemy, all rolled into one. If the ego gets out of hand and we lose track of the fact that we are writing to real people, with their own lives and feelings, then we are no longer contributing as a supportive part of the community, but instead expect the community to conform to what we want and/or think. And that just cannot work here, because it's a destructive attitude.

That's why I was so impressed with what SkidMark wrote. It made me think again about what community really is and what we need to do -- and not do -- to keep it together and help it grow stronger.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Yep, I am off to bed soon - 20:36 here. Very tired, will be asleep soon.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Where are you from? I think I've missed that somewhere along the way. We must reside on opposite sides of the world, its 8:38AM here.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I am in China now, originally from Northern Ireland but home is France.

That's it in a nutshell, really. But I have lived in numerous countries.

originally posted by: Martin75
Where are you from? I think I've missed that somewhere along the way. We must reside on opposite sides of the world, its 8:38AM here.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   
That would be neat. To have different view points from around the world. I have lived in many different states but that is as far as I have made it.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Yeah, I have lived most of my adult live overseas and seen a lot of weird things. And you are right, living in a country gives you an insight into how the people there really think, if you take the time to talk to them.

edit on 3-5-2016 by 1984hasarrived because: typo (another) - again

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Good morning again. Here is a poem of sun!
The sun rises another bright day.
Most animals love daylight

Birds chirping away.
Makes me feel warm and full of light.
The sun shows shadows of my face.
Some tan in it and some fan it away.

When the sun turns away into the the clouds
the world starts to darken.
So dark and black.
I wonder and wonder will it ever come back?

So enjoy your day!

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12
Good morning Quant! Do you feel more rested than you did a few hours ago? You are so poetic

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Yes I do! How is your day?

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12
Crazy! We are doing a migration today of one of our BIG systems and it is NOT going according to plan
We have crashed the new server twice and now we are fighting SQL databases. GRRRR

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   

I hope your day gets better.

I am off to Santa Catalina island. 22 miles off the coast! About to goto Marina Del Rey to catch the boat!
Photo Santa Cat

new topics

<< 121  122  123    125  126  127 >>

join