It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Snowden' the movie (trailer)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
So, just seen the new trailer for Snowden

Academy Award®-winning director Oliver Stone, who brought Platoon, Born on the Fourth of July, Wall Street and JFK to the big screen, tackles the most important and fascinating true story of the 21st century. Snowden, the politically-charged, pulse-pounding thriller starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Shailene Woodley, reveals the incredible untold personal story of Edward Snowden, the polarizing figure who exposed shocking illegal surveillance activities by the NSA and became one of the most wanted men in the world. He is considered a hero by some, and a traitor by others. No matter which you believe, the epic story of why he did it, who he left behind, and how he pulled it off makes for one of the most compelling films of the year.

I like the few Oliver Stone movies I have seen, but here I am somewhat expecting a movie that will play it safe (as in, follow the usual Hollywood guidelines)
And be interesting but without really asking too many questions or going too deep.
Its got Gordon-Levitt and Nic Cage among some other big names, so there's star power to attract people, but what does Stone know about what really happened and who Snowden really is?
And how does a film tackling such an important, controversial and current subject, get the go ahead? Surely not before it passes a few 'safety checks', (making sure it fits what the public has already been told by the media, I'm thinking)

Anyways, purely from a cinematic perspective now, it looks alright, I might go to the cinema for it.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
It looks awesome. I can't wait to see it. Thanks for posting this.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Oliver Stone... pinko Chavez lover, i don't care about anything this trash have to say

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Oliver Stone is the white Spike Lee, I cannot remember the last movie he made that I felt was worth watching.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: athousandlives

I have a problem with movies about individuals who are still alive: they often tend to be just a publicity campaign for those very individuals.

First the media hammers you with Assange, Stephen Hawking, OJ Simpson, And Snowden - then as soon as you turn your attention away, they come right back at beating the dead horse and making films about them. How they are the tragic heroes who have been unjustly put down by Big Bad Gov and who bravely fight for a new order of things, please give them all the attention - again. If I decided to make a movie about myself and portray me as the "hero" who defied mainstream science and bravely explored the mysteries of the universe, ultimately finding answers which could revolutionise science, you'd be saying that I was full of myself - and do you know what? You'd be right!

I don't know, even Tesla has trouble getting a movie about himself (the Prestige doesn't count), and he's been dead for more than a century now. It's kinda unfair.

edit on 27-4-2016 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: athousandlives

You've reminded me that I've got Citizenfour on a drive and haven't watched it yet. The opening chapters of Greenwald's Nowhere to Hide book were totally gripping.

The new movie could be a great one.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

ah yes, i was gonna say... i saw this a while ago, pretty good.. it can seem a bit sureal at times, like they aren't filming the reality all the time..
i can't call it, but i think it'll be more accurate than oliver stone's version, but who knows...

edit on 27 4 2016 by AwakenYaMind because: umm

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

haha, right on..

yea, poor Telsa....

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Looks interesting will be on my to watch list..

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Looks worth watching but I wouldn't expect it to be especially accurate. Not sure Stone has made a ballsy movie since JFK so don't have huge expectations for this.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: athousandlives and everyone, my family and I just saw the film "Snowden" at a US theater on September 16, 2016. Having read most of the published books on Snowden, plus the NYTimes editorial board finding that Edward Snowden is a whistleblower, not a traitor, plus various magazine analyses of the classified materials he revealed, we give the movie full marks for authenticity. It was also suspenseful enough that I only was able to look away from it a few times because I was hungry and had to eat some popcorn. What an achievement in film. The NYTimes movie review by A.O. Scott calls the movie "restrained" because it is. Oliver Stone didn't have to drop any cinematic bombshells because the real-life video clips he occasionally used spoke volumes, all by themselves. Here's that review:

www.nytimes.com... ck&contentCollection=movies®ion=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=2&pgtype=sectionfron
edit on 9/17/2016 by Uphill because: Added information.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Uphill

Thanks for your comment, I heard other good reviews too. I think I will give it a try.
cheers

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=21258370]athousandlives, UR welcome. I forgot to say that in its opening weekend in the Los Angeles basin, "Snowden" was ranked #4 out of the top five on the opening weekend box office list of most tickets sold. And that was with basically no PR effort at all, no billboards, no TV film critic commentary, nothing. Local LATimes film reviewer Kenneth Turan gave a lukewarm review. Big mistake! In years to come, I expect that "Snowden" may be viewed as director Oliver Stone's magnum opus. For example, in the film, Stone uses video clips from presidential press conferences and other sources. Stone avoids using any dramatic emphasis on or further reference to those clips because it is unnecessary: Those video clips are damning. Very shrewd.

top topics

join