It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did researchers find a cure for allergies and asthma

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Mary Jo DiLonardo
April 25, 2016, 12:03 p.m.
A new treatment may trick your body into accepting a 'Trojan horse' allergen that shuts down allergic responses.

www.mnn.com...

. . .
But researchers have come up with what they think might be an easier and quicker way to treat and possibly cure allergies and allergic asthma. They've taken a tiny amount of the problem substance and encapsulated it in a shell, creating a biodegradable nanoparticle that's injected into the body. The allergen is a Trojan horse of sort. Much like the Greeks who slipped into the city of Troy, the allergen slips by disguised inside a friendly outer shell.
“The findings represent a novel, safe and effective long-term way to treat and potentially ‘cure’ patients with life-threatening respiratory and food allergies,” said senior author Stephen Miller, professor of microbiology-immunology at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, in a press release. “This may eliminate the need for life-long use of medications to treat lung allergy."
“It’s a universal treatment," he added. "Depending on what allergy you want to eliminate, you can load up the nanoparticle with ragweed pollen or a peanut protein.”
. . .

This sounds like very welcome news, to me.

All the more so with the new evidence that antihistamines contribute to mental decline.

I hope this speedily becomes widely available.

I hope it proves effective in all allergy cases like it sounds it should be.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Oh man this would be nice. I enjoy doing outdoorsy stuff, and consider myself a good candidate for survival in a "end of civilization" scenerio... except for the fact that without my inhaler i'd probably die within a month. It's always been a little unnerving to be so dependent on medication.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Here's hoping. A a lifetime sufferer myself I would certainly welcome it. It's a drag to have a "cold" six months out of the year, though I'm sure Kleenex is happy with their sales volume.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Can anyone explain how this would work. I'm having a slightly dyslexic day maybe, but once the coated particle of allergen is injected...what happens next to cure the allergic reaction?

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Thanks--and to Slanter, too.

Yeah. Sounds like an incredible amount of suffering could be ended. I hope this is made available to all ASAP.

I've had allergies all my life. The last 3 years of my 69 have been mostly allergy free. Not sure why. The Neil Med saline wash helped but I don't do that often any more. Maybe I've somehow grown/aged out of so much of it.

But my heart goes out to sufferers because I was there most of my life.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

My impression is that the allergen is detected enough for the body to treat the particles as trash . . . and deal with them simply, effectively, no fuss, no muss.

But the allergen is encased sufficiently that the allergic reaction is not triggered.

I hope that's right.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Slanter

Oh man this would be nice. I enjoy doing outdoorsy stuff, and consider myself a good candidate for survival in a "end of civilization" scenerio... except for the fact that without my inhaler i'd probably die within a month. It's always been a little unnerving to be so dependent on medication.

Definitely sounds like great news! My horrible "seasonal allergies" disappeared on me in my early teens, but i feel your pain! It's the very same reason that put the decision to get LASIK over the top.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   
This is very welcome news!
My partner has asthma

Though, I'm uncertain if asthma and "allergic asthma" are the one and same?

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I thought they denied that homeopathy works, now they are using homeopathic practice and say it will work.

Can't they just stick to their denials like most medical professionals do?

I'm not to sure this is going to work for everyone. Maybe it will work for some people though. Some allergies actually are there to keep us away from things. Now this could make us more susceptible to problems with deficiencies in metabolic processes by allowing us to get more exposure to things we cannot detox.

It works with peanuts and eggs by keeping a little in consumption so the body acclimates to it.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

This sounds like high tech much more than homeopathic.

Encapsulating allergen particles inside . . . essentially--as I understand it . . . nanospheres?

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaelci
This is very welcome news!
My partner has asthma

Though, I'm uncertain if asthma and "allergic asthma" are the one and same?

They are not. Allergic asthma results in more life threatening situations because it is not predictable, and can happen regardless of what preventative or "maintenance" drugs are on board to inhibit episodes because it is induced by an allergen and even a tiny exposure to it can trigger a severe attack.

It can kill a person within minutes. It has almost killed me three times because I lost my airway and stopped breathing completely. And rescue inhalers can actually exacerbate the reaction because albuterol is a lung irritant.

Classic bronchial asthma is typically triggered by exercise or anxiety/emotional upset. It usually responds very quickly to albuterol, and daily preventative meds like Singulair keep it at bay for the most part. Children commonly develop this and later grow out of it but some people have it for life.

I hope this is the answer. I've watched too many people die of acute respiratory failure who simply didn't make it to us in time. The children were the worst. I hope this is something that will be really available and affordable for everyone who suffers this awful disease.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Locally sourced honey does the exact same thing as bees go around collecting all the pollen spores digest it and produce honey, its what ive used over a decade now to prevent seasonal allergies... tastes much better than "honey product" found in grocery stores whatever that is... but local honey basically like a natural vaccine.

Seems the producers of this took note of the bees and are bypassing them... of course that isnt a magic bullet like what the local bees produce is since the local bees will target everything exactly local to you that cause ones allergies... of course make sure your local honey provider is on the up and up because botchulism sp? is a serious thing when jars/bottles are not properly prepared and sterlized. It used to be a much more widespread issue in the 1940s and 50s from home garden canning that people did from their own gardens and especially where honey is concerned... its also one of the very few natural foods that never spoil.

Of course ive known a few hardcore vegans saying it is enslaving bees but having been around hives and its production I really dont see it that way, of course there are many pestisides in local garden centers and on their plants with a nictonic receptor disruptor that has been causing hive collapse so please bear that in mind when out on the hunt for spring flower buying/planting

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 03:22 AM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

Hmmmm... in that case then... I wonder if he's gone his whole life believing that he has "normal" asthma... because his is not emotional at all. And you know, in movies and things when the character supposedly has asthma and something emotional has happened to set it off, he'll wave his arms in the air in annoyance all "That doesn't happen!!! It has nothing to do with emotions!! That's so fake!"... whereas if I neglect to dust every couple of days he's puffing those things all day.

(not meaning to speak off-handedly, just figures of speech.)

Hmm... time to have a little discussion, haha.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: kaelci

When I was an apartment dweller I had a pipe burst under my floor wen I was out of town, ruined all my electronics sitting on the floor and quite a few records tat ad no plastic sleeves, of course the walls were covered in mold as well on my return... renter people of course said no renters insurance too bad then had these huge industrial fans plugged into my sockets to dry everything out... I said I suppose my electricity bill isnt your issue either?

But long story short, before I was married to the now exwife(in '99) she never hhad asthma of any sort but she was with me on the return and after being exposed to all of that black mold less than a few hours developed it... I suggest anyone with constant allergy issues to hunt for black mold... many houses in construction were well rained on during construction and if sheetrock or whatever else went up before it all dried out? Theres likely tons of it in the walls or cielings growing as a colony and coming through any cracks or airconditioning ducts not properly taped... sometimes it is in the airconditioning ducts too

A very good latex paint can help seal it away... as it is best not to disturb it or else the spores will obviously become airborne. Make sure to use a mold killer as a cleaning supply to help cut down on those permeating through ones dwelling.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN
a reply to: rickymouse

This sounds like high tech much more than homeopathic.

Encapsulating allergen particles inside . . . essentially--as I understand it . . . nanospheres?

Sounds like hard candies that slowly disolve in your mouth to me. The technology isn't all that complex. The thing is that people's bodily enzymes and proteinases are all different and even foods we eat boost those body chemistries because we take them into our blood. The rate of them breaking down can vary widely from person to person.

top topics

join