It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to create a completely independent partition for a second OS?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
My computer is a PC (Lenovo desktop, 3.3 ghz. Intel Core i3-2120 processor, 6 GB RAM) running the recent Windows 10 (Home Premium) upgrade.

Unfortunately, I cannot run my Epson scanner (Epson Perfection V600 Photo) with Windows 10. It does run with Windows 7.

I don't want to down grade to 7. I would like to create a partition on my hard drive and install Win 7 on the partition, but this is recommended against. The usual thing done is to install the later OS after having installed the earlier one.

My question is for knowledgeable people. Is it possible to create a second partition that in boot up terms, the master boot record, is completely independent of the first partition, so there are no boot up issues with the OS on that partition? Or should I just install a second hard drive disconnecting the first one before installing the second OS?

As usual, all help appreciated.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

This link should explain how to do it.
Link

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Here is a question, why not use a Microsoft Virtual machine for the windows 7 stuff? Which would give you better system compatibility and control.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Partition Magic is what I usually use - haven't tried it with w10

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I would sell the scanner and get a new one!

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
It is safe, fragmentation is your enemy though, so generally if you want to dual boot its better to create partitions before any OS are installed, this will keep the OS data clumped together which will increase read/write performance. If you have solid state disk this is much less of an issue.

Some guides already posted so i wont link anything, let us know how you get on!

With new windows installs the dual boot option automaticly kicks in and asks you which order you want to boot, it will set to give you a 15 second choice when the machine starts as to which OS is booted.

Biigs

edit on b32321204 by Biigs because: dumb spelling

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

I was aware of this link but it doesn't really address the key question which is related to running Win7 on a drive whose main partition is already running Win 10. I have read that there can be issues relating to booting up the Win7 system because of how the master boot record is written during installation.

I was hoping that somebody could address that issue specifically. Thanks for the info though.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: CoBaZ

I'll have to look into Virtual Machine. I know nothing about it. Thanks for the suggestion.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: acackohfcc

I usually use Partition Magic too. It's the other, more esoteric issue of the two boot records that I am ignorant about.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: manuelram16

Most people would. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Trying to get a dual boot with Windows 10 and UEFI is a pain. I suggest you install a virtual machine application like Virtualbox and install windows 7 in there. Even better install a virtual Linux O/S....but I'm biased.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

I've had dual boots before, so the general notion of how they work is familiar. I read somewhere that for the kind of thing I want to do, it would be necessary to use one of the F keys to go to a prompt to select the appropriate OS for boot up each time one wanted to switch OSs.

I think something special needs to be done to the new partition in order to make this kind of arrangement trouble free. The simplest thing to do is to put another hard drive into the computer and do a fresh install while the primary hard drive is disconnected. The new drive has to use the same cable connection used on installation of the second OS.

With a partition, when the second OS is installed, the computer, on installation of that second OS, has to believe that there are no other partitions on the drive. My understanding is that if another OS is installed on the system already, the second installation will respond in some way to the already installed boot record of the first OS, perhaps not installing all the files because some are shared.

I may have misunderstood this completely, which is why I was hoping that somebody who really knows this stuff thoroughly, would jump into the thread.
edit on 27-4-2016 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

Thanks. That's the second vote for the virtual machine. I'm going to look into it.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   

It depends on which windows you use.

Installing a second win 7 on am achine with vista, 7, 8.1 or 10 on - the files kept in your users space (my; docs, pictures, downloads, desktop etc) will be encrypted and bound to the OS its installed on - in a similar fasion the new OS will NOT share any system info with the first OS even though the system files are not encrypted.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try to find the web page where I first read about possible issues with this kind of install. I've had dual boots before but they were always installed in order of creation of the OS. This is the reverse and I read that there was some hang up in this case.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
third vote for a virtual machine.

You just don't want to reboot into another OS for a simple scan.

ETA: Did you update the drivers of your scanner after the upgrade too?
If you didn't you might want to try that before you find a work around as the Epson Perfection V600 Photo Scanner has windows 10 drivers.
Link to drivers for W10
edit on 27-4-2016 by Dumbass because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Dumbass

I'll look at your link but I believe I already have their Win 10 drivers. They just don't work. I followed their instructions, reinstalled the scanner software, etc., but there is some real issue that they haven't addressed. There is a lot of talk about this on line. One company even came out with a product of their own to use instead of the Epson scanner software to address this incompatibility issue. The feeling seems to be that Epson is trying to pressure people to buy new scanners.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ipsedixit
a reply to: Dumbass

I'll look at your link but I believe I already have their Win 10 drivers. They just don't work. I followed their instructions, reinstalled the scanner software, etc., but there is some real issue that they haven't addressed. There is a lot of talk about this on line. One company even came out with a product of their own to use instead of the Epson scanner software to address this incompatibility issue. The feeling seems to be that Epson is trying to pressure people to buy new scanners.

Im assuming you have tryed the most simple ways to force older software to work, like running the application in a younger windows mode (left click, properties, run in compatibility mode).

No luck?

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   

I think I did that, but it has been a while since I went through the whole rigmarole. I downloaded the file linked above and it is exactly the same as the one I had.

I want to look into the Virtual Machine idea or doing an install of Win 7. My laptop, running XP, can operate the scanner with no problem, but it is awkward in my space to use it. Win 7, my old OS on the desktop, also ran the scanner fine.

I could give it one more try. Uninstall everything again and reinstall.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Would it not be easier to just run a virtual machine on any other windows OS and just print from that? Saving you a whole heap of hassle and #e-ing around with bootloaders etc? Just a thought.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join