It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France wins Australian sub competition

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Still plenty of LA's and Ohio's out there, or have they been mostly phased out?

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBadCabbie

They're doing a 2-3:1 with the LAs. For every two or three Virginia boats they take an older LA. The only Ohio boats they "retired" are the four OMFG SSGNs.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: mbkennel

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Forensick

Because it's actually a lot easier to do that than convert shore facilities and drydocks for nuclear powered subs.

And it's possible the French wouldn't allow export of naval nuclear reactor technology (cough Chinese espionage risk). Anything submarine is highly classified, anything nuclear is classified, and the combination of the two is double secret probation classified.

Many naval nukes are fueled with near weapons-grade Uranium.

Are there prior examples of sales of nuclear-powered naval vessels to other countries?

Are there examples of non-nuclear weapon states operating nuclear powered naval vessels?

(These are honest questions, I really don't know the answers).

I didn't mean buy a Nuclear powered one, with Nuclear power, we in Aus don't do nuclear, I mean the idea of buying a nuclear design and retrofitting diesel electric against buying a diesel electric from start.

Range might be an issue for the Japanese design, but how do we know what range this one will end up with?

Honestly, can you imagine the thought process that ended up with this being a good idea, especially after our last sub fiasco!

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They're doing a 2-3:1 with the LAs. For every two or three Virginia boats they take an older LA. The only Ohio boats they "retired" are the four OMFG SSGNs.

The regular Ohio's get an extra life, huh? Makes sense I guess. I'd imagine they don't work those boats nearly as hard as the rest of the sub fleet. Mostly lots of creeping around in the right spot and plenty of quiet time(and maintenance!) for an Ohio boat, I'd guess. When did they stop making them? Have or will they exceed their rated lifetime, or were they originally expected to have a longer service life?

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   

They entered service in 81, so by the time the Columbia replaces them, they should be right about at the end of their planned life. The plan is to start retiring the first of them in 2029, so they're almost on schedule.

The USS Louisiana, SSBN-734 was commissioned in 1997.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick
There was no thought process Forensick other than, "money in my pocket" from the corrupt official who is currently being investigated. If I'm right he is the guy who was ex RAN Sub group and while part of the DMO got to see all the classified stuff as well as tour the different subs from the bidders, then took a job with DCNS. Low and behold they win the contract!, who could have guessed that? I hope the a##hole ends up in jail and the contract scrapped, it wasn't the best bid by a long shot.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join