It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

France wins Australian sub competition

page: 1

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 07:13 PM
French ship maker DCNS has won exclusive negotiation rights for the Australian Future Submarine Program, with the Shortfin Barracuda A1 submarine. The contract will be worth Australian $50B ($38.7B USD).

The contract is expected to be signed in 2017, and the 12 subs will be built in Australia. Either Raytheon or Lockheed will be selected late this year to integrate US built sonar and weapons systems.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 07:25 PM
Oh great!

3 speed subs. Forward, Reverse and Surrender gears.

It was between German, Japanese and French designs and the winner is .... The French?

Such is life. At least they will be made here and that is very good news.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 07:29 PM
They finally decided ?

The Russian AU contract discussion went on and on and on. I forced myself to listen to them when driving in one they ended up discussing travel entertainment allowance

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:24 PM
a reply to: pheonix358

My uncle was a French sub operator. He's a badass.
And overall, French military tech is pretty great; it has been for hundreds of years, but especially after the second world war, wherin the obliteration of Paris was avoided due to surrender, but an effective and deadly resistance was maintained against occupying forces until the city could be liberated again. My grandma knew about Nazi boot heels first hand.

I think you'll find that French arms production is top of the line.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:37 PM
a reply to: Unresponsible

They've had their fair share of problems. Their carrier has spent almost as much time in Drydock as sailing it seems at times. But they do have some damn good equipment.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:39 PM
It seems senseless to me, why take an off the shelf Nuclear Powered sub design and convert it to a Diesel Electric.

Can you imagine the trouble we are going to have.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:43 PM
a reply to: Forensick

Because it's actually a lot easier to do that than convert shore facilities and drydocks for nuclear powered subs.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:54 PM
a reply to: Zaphod58

True, didn't think about that.

But the Japanese design is conventional designed from scratch, of course they would take all this into consideration with the evaluation but I don't know how you can put a price on the engineering risk of converting a design to one already designed.

Time will tell but I see as many problems as we had with the Collins Class.

Apparently one of the key requirements is for a staff complement which can rotate to prevent fatigue on the long sorties Australian Subs need to go on, the Japanese accommodation was too small as Japanese are usually smaller than their Aussie counterparts whereas the French design is bigger because it is Nuclear there you go, Japan can blame genetics for missing out on the deal!

edit on 26 4 2016 by Forensick because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 03:41 AM

Interesting take on the deal.

Didn't think of those aspects.

Kind regards,

(post by Jamesismadson removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 04:23 PM

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Because it's actually a lot easier to do that than convert shore facilities and drydocks for nuclear powered subs.

And it's possible the French wouldn't allow export of naval nuclear reactor technology (cough Chinese espionage risk). Anything submarine is highly classified, anything nuclear is classified, and the combination of the two is double secret probation classified.

Many naval nukes are fueled with near weapons-grade Uranium.

Are there prior examples of sales of nuclear-powered naval vessels to other countries?

Are there examples of non-nuclear weapon states operating nuclear powered naval vessels?

(These are honest questions, I really don't know the answers).
edit on 2-5-2016 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 09:21 PM

Part of the problem with the Japanese design was its range/endurance. The Barracuda had already had some company funded design work at extending it and including AIP.

new topics