It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

revisiting CNC

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
a reply to: onequestion

What inspired you to become a machinist if you don't mind sharing?

I was watching what the machinist at this factory I worked at were doing and started looking into it and I like the potential to own your own company and from what I've read there is a lot of potential for that.

Also I enjoy doing skilled work and producing I find it interesting I wouldn't mind taking engineering classes at night and inventing my own parts.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

That's exactly my goal take 1-2 engineering classes a seek while building skills in the shop making halfway decent money

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Its interesting reading the conversation it gives me a look into the shop.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

originally posted by: Atsbhct
a reply to: onequestion

What inspired you to become a machinist if you don't mind sharing?

I was watching what the machinist at this factory I worked at were doing and started looking into it and I like the potential to own your own company and from what I've read there is a lot of potential for that.

Also I enjoy doing skilled work and producing I find it interesting I wouldn't mind taking engineering classes at night and inventing my own parts.

Sorry to keep butting in.

It's awesome to do skilled work. I love making guitars. I even loved doing the milling as well as building in a small factory setting. I enjoy doing it on my own much more of coarse but I do a lot of recording and live sound to offset the fact that I don't have 1000's of orders of guitars.

The thing I always wished I did though was study engineering. I can hack my way through inventing things by hand and intuition but the skills from engineering would have cut that process down so much. My philosophy degree doesn't do # for helping me design solutions or jigs.

My dad can go to a factory a person can say machine x has this problem and in a couple weeks he has invented something to fix or help the operator monitor the situation. Some of that is personal but it's also having gone through the process of understanding mechanical engineering.

If you do go into machining make sure you keep a fire in your belly. Like everything else you have to forge your path. The days of America producing goods are over. The next phase is all robotics/programming. There is plenty of need for good machinists right now but you have to go get it IMO like trying to get an acting gig.

PS have you watched slingshot in Netflix yet? Really worthwhile documentary on a brilliant inventor/machinist/engineer.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   

That's exactly my goal take 1-2 engineering classes a seek while building skills in the shop making halfway decent money

Thats a good plan man. It's very sensible. It's way better to have hands on skill as well. I curse plenty of engineers all the time when I try and use tools, jigs, or fixtures from design based engineers with no or little hands on skill.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   

There's tons of machining job opportunities

Its really hard to pick a career right now that's still going to exist in ten years.

From what I read there will always be a need for machining because 3d printing isn't as precise because it uses a different method ie machining is subtracting and printing is adding you get a fine product.

That's why I want to get into making gun parts and medical stuff with plastic and for screws

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   

There's tons of machining job opportunities

Its really hard to pick a career right now that's still going to exist in ten years.

From what I read there will always be a need for machining because 3d printing isn't as precise because it uses a different method ie machining is subtracting and printing is adding you get a fine product.

That's why I want to get into making gun parts and medical stuff with plastic and for screws

There are tons of opportunities. It's just some of them are much better than others. If you want to keep challenging your mind you may want to really look at it like an art as far as seeking out a good job. It's not just printers it's robotics. If you look at an autoplant or even medical research. There are a lot less "machinists" running parts though several operations. My wife is a research scientist. It's crazy to see some of the labs and how automated they are. Not saying you are not correct just saying make sure you are realistic. A lot of machinist jobs can be very boring. The oilfield work can be interesting because of the problem solving aspect and pays well. Small shops are interesting but don't always pay very well. .. I think you have a great perspective though. Exciting stuff to launch a new career.
What a cool one too. I want a machine shop.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Someone at the school told me I should learn how to machine first before getting into programming because I'll understand what I'm doing better.

Makes sense and how can I run a shop without machining experience.

I think I'll start there.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Someone at the school told me I should learn how to machine first before getting into programming because I'll understand what I'm doing better.

Makes sense and how can I run a shop without machining experience.

I think I'll start there.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join