It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kansas budget problems cool enthusiasm for tax cuts in states, Congress

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
What I say to conservatives is this:

We can cut taxes and do some of your ideas BUT

FEED THE POOR FIRST

Make sure humans have access to health care and reasonably cheap education and jobs that have a future

Stop giving the rich ALL they want as they greedily harm the macro economy

Give us a healthy infrastructure with for example high speed trains which are prevalent in Europe and Asia.

As of now the modern conservative movement is inhuman, backward, and devoid of vision…

It’s making the country a third world rich and poor disaster

Trump even believes in these principles I aver.

What people don't realize is that the main real attraction of Trump is that he is a economic moderate

edit on 26-4-2016 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
You are in Alaska. I am in Kansas. Where I am, the plan for this location failed. It simply is what it is.

How is it you think I'm being naive? I've been voting for nearly 40 years.

Yes, and my state is getting hit harder than any other state right now... to the point where income taxes and sales taxes are being sincerely discussed. I say NO to that here, too.

Kansas, just like Alaska, is struggling because of the oil price crash. It has nothing to do with their tax cut aside from poor luck in timing things. Hold the course, cut more spending, and it will reverse when oil prices go back up following the election. Ultimately, you'll find you have a Kansas government that is the model of efficiency and thrift and a state booming with record employment levels and a burgeoning manufacturing sector.

Increasing taxes is a cowardly fascist way out of a spending problem, IMO.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

They are currently working to pass legislation that will remove the state supreme court from deciding how much of their budget should be spent on schools. Last I checked a full 2/3 of the budget is being spent on schools, at a rate of $12K per student when the average is $10K. Not that I have anything against money to schools, but it should be the legislature that spends it, and placing responsible guidelines in place for how it is spent.

Yeah - legislation to PREVENT the state supreme court from mandating a MINIMUM percentage to be spent on education. So the congress can just shut education down altogether...wouldn't you all just love that? Teddy boy will do it for you, too!!!

He wants to, has promised to, intends to ABOLISH THE Department of Education! Woot!!!! Oh happy day for you!!!!
States wouldn't have to offer education AT! ALL! Ever!! Whee!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

What I say to liberals is, "No."

That's not the government's job.

Take care of the fundamentals first: roads, police, schools, sanitation, water, defense.

The rest comes afterwards. If the government is doing things correctly, the People will take care of themselves.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Id be willing to bet that that's a pipe dream.

Meanwhile kids education gets cut, food stamps get cut and cause undue suffering and other
unnecessary pain on the people all for some DOGMA.

Some experiment.

Fine even if you did do something like he did one should do it slowly

I bet he wouldn't wreck the same havoc on the rich as he has done on poor people

You need to get out of that conservative dogma...its all in your head

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

They are currently working to pass legislation that will remove the state supreme court from deciding how much of their budget should be spent on schools. Last I checked a full 2/3 of the budget is being spent on schools, at a rate of $12K per student when the average is $10K. Not that I have anything against money to schools, but it should be the legislature that spends it, and placing responsible guidelines in place for how it is spent.

Yeah - legislation to PREVENT the state supreme court from mandating a MINIMUM percentage to be spent on education. So the congress can just shut education down altogether...wouldn't you all just love that? Teddy boy will do it for you, too!!!

Yes we know you believe in activist judges so long as they promote an agenda you agree with.

No, the congress will not shut down education. Seriously. That is ignorant.

He wants to, has promised to, intends to ABOLISH THE Department of Education! Woot!!!! Oh happy day for you!!!!
States wouldn't have to offer education AT! ALL! Ever!! Whee!!!!!!!!!!

A governor can't abolish a federal department. Not in the job description. States will not abolish public education, again that is ignorant. Hyperbolic. Falsehood.
edit on 26-4-2016 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
What I say to conservatives is this:

We can cut taxes and do some of your ideas BUT

FEED THE POOR FIRST

Kansas is enjoying record low unemployment thanks to the tax cuts... let the poor work and feed themselves.

Make sure humans have access to health care and reasonably cheap education and jobs that have a future

Stop giving the rich ALL they want as they greedily harm the macro economy

National level problem which calls for a national level solution:
Reinstate stringent import taxes to force domestic production again.
Horsecollar the various growth crushing regulatory agencies.

Give us a healthy infrastructure with for example high speed trains which are prevalent in Europe and Asia.

You mean the high speed rails that require massive subsidization of tax dollars to survive everywhere in this country they've been built? Sure, that's wise spending.

As of now the modern the conservative movement is inhuman, backward, and devoid of vision…

No, we just don't see fairness in a system where those who work the hardest and earn the most are expected to cover the asses of all those who flat out don't.

It’s making the country a third world rich and poor disaster

No, globalism combined with a Kept Voter base that will not vote against the Meal Ticket is doing that.

Trump even believes in these principles I aver.

What people don't realize is that the main real attraction of Trump is that he is a economic moderate

Trump 2016

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   

TIL desire to keep what YOU earned is dogma.

Hmm...

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

What I say to liberals is, "No."

That's not the government's job.

Take care of the fundamentals first: roads, police, schools, sanitation, water, defense.

The rest comes afterwards. If the government is doing things correctly, the People will take care of themselves.

There not even doing that...

The bridges are falling down...schools are closing in the thousands

Infrastructure is failing nationally

so what are talking about

Conservative DOGMA

It doesn't work

Name one country that follows conservative ideas and has been successful

Its never worked

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

You should absolutely write a letter to the governor and every one of the congressmen in Kansas and tell them this.
Or publish an open letter with your prescription for our ailment......

I, for one, am not willing to let children starve to death without at least a school to go to - AND some guarantee of adequate shelter and food. You sound like the perfect counterweight to human compassion.

A famous dialogue from The West Wing:

President Josiah Bartlet: We agree on nothing, Max.

Senator Lobell: Yes, sir.

President Josiah Bartlet: Education, guns, drugs, school prayer, gays, defense spending, taxes - you name it, we disagree.

Senator Lobell: You know why?

President Josiah Bartlet: Because I'm a lily-livered, bleeding-heart, liberal, egghead communist.

Senator Lobell: Yes, sir. And I'm a gun-toting, redneck son-of-a-bitch.

President Josiah Bartlet: Yes, you are.

Senator Lobell: We agree on that.

shrug.
I'm so over this......you all do whatever. Whatever helps you sleep at night. Just don't come crying to us when it all blows up in your face.

Good night, everyone.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Its never worked

Name one country where the conservative ideas haven't been mongrelized through inbreeding with the bleeding heart side of politics.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

TIL desire to keep what YOU earned is dogma.

Hmm...

So therefore we should pay no taxes and just let things go to hell?

What amount is reasonable?

It’s the conservatives that always say we have to pay for things

How are we going to pay for the schools, police, firemen, etc?

It’s been eroded by DOGMA and the excuse so the rich who bribe politicians get tax cuts

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Its never worked

Name one country where the conservative ideas haven't been mongrelized through inbreeding with the bleeding heart side of politics.

That’s a weird statement....I'll forget it and let it go.

But the fact is there’s no civilized country that obeys conservative dogma because IT DOESN’T WORK

Other countries like the Scandinavian countries for instance do so well because they want to feed and cloth their people, and like the constitution says: take care of the general happiness and welfare of their people.

They don’t discard huge segments of their population to misery because of social ills and historical injustices that affect society negatively

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Yes we know you believe in activist judges so long as they promote an agenda you agree with.

No, the congress will not shut down education. Seriously. That is ignorant.

OMG why are you even here!!

You don't know jack about what I believe - yet you and wifey claim that I am constantly telling you what you believe.
I. Live. Here.
You do not.

You are a Cruz supporter. Cruz wants to do the exact same thing to our entire nation that Brownback has done to this state.
Quit with the ad hominem attacks. Do not speak for me, or say "we know you believe" to me. You speak for yourself. That is all you are entitled to do.

The Republican agenda was tried.
It failed.
IT FAILED.
Its failure has NOTHING to do with activist judges - you made that up all by yourself....after trying to portray the hearings as somehow SUPPORTIVE of Brownback, when it decidedly is not.

Its failure (and it DID FAIL. It HAS FAILED.) has nothing to do with me, either. Dude. It failed. You are playing the same part that seeker1963 tried. "Insult Buzzy, deflect, point the other way, etc." Lame. RESPOND TO THE OP.

The Kansas experiment HAS FAILED.
Period.
It is over - not still incubating or marinating or slow-cooker warming...it is DONE. It is a FAILURE. Mission end. Abortive mission. Failure.

edit on 4/26/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: sheesh what a bunch of sore losers....

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   
You can't cut taxes and not cut spending.

This is republicans trying to have it both ways.

Edit: I lived in Kansas for the previous 4 years.
edit on 26 4 16 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   
It failed miserably

I say it’s the attachment to dogma, equivalent to a religious fundamentalist (it’s the same psychology) and unfortunately often bigotry for the downtrodden that is at the root of this conservative philosophy of today in America.

I’m trying to tell you folks you’re psychologically attached to something you don’t need.

Listen to me…you can change

Kansas is a case in point.

A reasonable human being sees his error and changes….not this guy…this governor. He’s also so religious and that’s what I’m talking about. It boils down to a defective thought process…. A narrow minded, dogmatic person who will actually deceive himself so much as to continue on the road to ruin he has initiated in the light of clear proof he has made things demonstrably worst.

His ego is now involved: he has to be right

May God help the people of Kansas and may he deliver them from again voting this mad man back in office...

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu
They are currently working to pass legislation that will remove the state supreme court from deciding how much of their budget should be spent on schools. Last I checked a full 2/3 of the budget is being spent on schools, at a rate of $12K per student when the national average is $10K. Not that I have anything against money to schools, but it should be the legislature that spends it, and placing responsible guidelines in place for how it is spent.

If it were up to me, I wouldn't waste any legislative time on schools (outside of immediate budget needs such as in Kansas) until the PISA tests come out. That test is the biggest indicator of school performance that there is, it only happens every 3 years, and the results from the most recent one come out in December of this year. Too late to campaign on, but not so far in the future that a little patience can't solve everything. For the first time ever in these tests, every state in the US submitted itself to be graded other than just the US submitting test grades as a whole. Those results will give a good indication of what is and isn't working. Most likely, any changes made now will simply need to be adjusted in less than a year anyways.

That said. If every state that's spending above the national average on education lowers their spending to the average rate, you'll have constantly declining education budgets as the average will continue to fall. However, 2/3 of the budget going to schools simply isn't sustainable and is indicative of major revenue issues. Even nations that highly prioritize/subsidize education while having low tax rates like Singapore don't spend over 6% of their budget on education. If you have to spend 2/3 of it on education, you're simply not bringing in enough money.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Isn't that the same excuse Communists have used to defend their ideas?

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I think communists' excuses for failure generally revolve around the fact that, by nature, humans won't work for things given to them freely. Which is absolutely the added external force that ultimately has damaged conservative economic plans. We just expect people to provide for themselves and find it logical that those who refuse to do so be left to the devices of natural consequences.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   

And the Picard meme is 100% on point. This stupid nation is almost to the critical mass point where the leeches outnumber the providers... when that point is reached, since we foolishly allow these folks to vote, the Meal Ticket will be impossible to beat in all future elections and we will see Atlas shrug as the jealous elect more and more Robbin Hoods to office and the first place they turn to fund their Kept Voter pool initiatives will be those of us paying net positive taxes already.

Do you understand the breakdown of that 'leeching 45%' ?

How many of those are elderly?
How many of those are disabled?
How many of those are veterans?

Do you have any clue at all?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join