It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kansas budget problems cool enthusiasm for tax cuts in states, Congress

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Not sure if this should go here or in Global Meltdown - but in any case, it's something that needs addressing STILL.

I have talked for many moons about how Sam Brownback's stupid experiment in Kansas has failed and failed and failed again. Now, S&P is planning to downgrade its credit rating. (Duh! You think??!!!)

Stupid, failed experiment. Now, not only are social services going to be cut more, even more than they had been before, but so are school funding, staff pay and staffing in general for the schools (yeah, screw the kids!, who needs education anyway?) preschools, food stamps, public housing, etc.

Oh, but the companies don't have to pay taxes! Yay! Erm, no. Now the state is $300 million SHORT for the next year or so.
Stupid, failed experiment.

Just in time for the 2016 elections!! Yeah - tax loopholes....don't work so much. Doesn't result in anything but off-shoring and program cuts.

Kansas budget problems cool enthusiasm for tax cuts in states, Congress

The Republican presidential candidates want to cut taxes, but they don’t talk about that as much as previous candidates

One reason, Dave Helling writes: The Kansas budget debacle

The Kansas Legislature convenes this week to work out the latest budget shortfall

aHA!
See? Neener, neener, neener......

The Kansas Legislature reconvenes this week to grapple with a budget shortfall — again. The state’s severe revenue headaches, prompted largely by poorly designed tax cuts, have been well-chronicled in this newspaper and need not be repeated in this space today.

So, neener, neener will have to suffice!

Less noticed, though, is the impact the Kansas experiment has had on how Republicans and voters view tax cuts, and what that might mean for the presidential campaign this fall.

Cutting taxes has been an article of deep faith for the GOP at least since 1980, when Ronald Reagan made income tax reductions the centerpiece of his White House campaign.
George H.W. Bush called the tax cuts “voodoo economics,” but it didn’t work. Reagan won in a landslide.

Since that election, every Republican presidential candidate has proposed freezing or cutting federal taxes. Some — Bob Dole and John McCain come to mind — endorsed tax cuts reluctantly. Others were more enthusiastic.

But all made tax reductions the centerpiece of their platforms. And Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback, who once ran for president, toured the country promising a supply-side shot of tax-cut adrenaline in his state.

Kansas’ credit rating on negative watch at S&P

“Quite frankly, it’s scary,” House Minority Leader Tom Burroughs, a Kansas City, Kan., Democrat, said in a statement.

“It’s clear what the Legislature needs to do to create a ‘structurally balanced budget,’ which is why Democrats are fighting for a financially responsible and sustainable plan that doesn’t rely on transfers, fees sweeps, increased bonding, or other one-time dollars,” Burroughs said.

Democrats and some Republicans have called for rolling back a Brownback-led income tax exemption for 330,000 business owners, part of the Republican governor’s plan to cut state income taxes. Brownback has maintained that the state’s revenue shortfalls are due to a sluggish state economy and not due to tax policy.

So - folks. Friends, neighbors, lurkers, readers and hangers-on....
take note of HISTORY.

We here in Kansas were your Guinea Pigs early in the 21st century. Brownback was our 'leader'. We're screwed.

Don't get screwed. Don't vote Republican.

edit on 4/26/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

What's the financial status of Chicago? What states aren't having budget shortfalls?

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Your partisanship and hatred towards Republicans and your lack of thought to think how many Democrat run states and cities that are having HUGE budget shortfalls is telling!

"Neener Neener"?

How old are you?

edit on 26-4-2016 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Chicago, as I understand it (and which is incidentally my birthplace) is also having trouble.
I am merely reporting what the ACTUAL ON PAPER results are for Kansas's experiment. You can be indignant and defensive, but the results remain the same.

Do you understand that?
It failed. It is a failure.
There are no windows left in Kansas at which to throw stones...they're already busted.

And I'm older than you, little brother. By five years.
1958. Sorry if you were too sheltered to watch SNL back in the days, or Rowan and Martin's Laugh-in. You can be a stuffy old bigoted white man if you like (style yourself Archie Bunker if you like, what the hell, I don't care!); I'm going to continue to be the person I've always been.

Ad hominem now dispensed with - what do you think about Kansas's results and the fact that Congress is less enthused about cutting taxes than they have been? Do you have any real response?
edit on 4/26/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Chicago, as I understand it (and which is incidentally my birthplace) is also having trouble.
I am merely reporting what the ACTUAL ON THE GROUND and ON PAPER results are for Kansas's experiment.

Do you understand that?
It failed. It is a failure.
There are no windows left at which to throw stones...they're already busted.

I'm older than you, little brother. By five years.

So you cherry pick based on your political ideology? Your whole OP was to bash Republicans for a failed experiment, how about all of the failed experiments of the Democratic party?

Basically you proved nothing! How can you use your evidence that the Republican party is bad, without showing the continuous failed experiments of the Democratic party and it's feeble attempt to end poverty? I will say this! The Democrat attempt to end poverty is just as disingenuous and fraudulent as the Republican parties attempt to end Drug use and the War on Terror?

Democrats/Republicans, nothing more than symbiotic parasites that will do anything within their power to continue leeching off of their hosts!

Carry on older sister!

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   

We're not TALKING ABOUT other states and other methods. We're talking about Kansas. You can keep deflecting and sneering all you like. The facts are the facts.

I live here. I was born in Chicago. I wish I lived in Colorado still (the place I went after I finally got away from here).....and I plan to return there.

ANyway - desist with the ad hominems. What is your opinion about KANSAS's experiment that our Dominionist Republican Governor (who is at our state-level what Ted Cruz wants to be for the nation) tried?

It is a failure.
Oh - sorry, does that disrupt your cognition? Does it cause dissonance for you? Yes indeedy - Kansas tried it - it has failed.
Simple math.

Colorado tried legal pot. It has succeeded. Windfall surpluses. Simple math.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   

We're not TALKING ABOUT other states and other methods. We're talking about Kansas. You can keep deflecting and sneering all you like. The facts are the facts.

I live here. I was born in Chicago. I wish I lived in Colorado still (the place I went after I finally got away from here).....and I plan to return there.

ANyway - desist with the ad hominems. What is your opinion about KANSAS's experiment that our Dominionist Republican Governor (who is at our state-level what Ted Cruz wants to be for the nation) tried?

It is a failure.
Oh - sorry, does that disrupt your cognition? Does it cause dissonance for you? Yes indeedy - Kansas tried it - it has failed.
Simple math.

Colorado tried legal pot. It has succeeded. Windfall surpluses. Simple math.

The Republicans failed! I am not arguing that, but you are the one who said,

Don't get screwed. Don't vote Republican.

You made it about partisan politics and I did nothing more than question your motive!

Seriously, between the people being screwed over by both parties if condoms were the solution we would have a serious medical epidemic!

I find many faults with both parties and their tactics to control! Do you?

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Yes, I'm an independent/unaffiliated voter. I'm a Bernie fan, actually, but have resigned myself to the way he's being buried, same as when Ron Paul was running, but Bernie got WAY MORE TRACTION.....and this time at least I know the ideas are going to be sunk in to the Millennials. They were too young last cycle....

NOW they are ready.

It is no secret that I am anti-GOP. I made this thread to provide evidence and backup/justification for WHY I am anti-GOP.

Hopefully others who are actually going to vote (who maybe still have a primary to go after today!) will rethink their stances if they can see the result of Republican experiments on a state level as opposed to Democrat experiments at the state level (like Colorado) and compare the two.

So yes, it is about partisan politics....why else would I post it?
And I don't think "just questioning my motive" is how it sounded when you talked about glass houses and mocked me for my use of casual language and insulted me about age....

Now - would you kindly tell us HOW YOU THINK about Kansas? It is a straight-line GOP Dominionist Effort that has ....
failed.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Oh, and also -
don't get screwed. Don't vote Republican.

Yeah, that means I think Republicans are the ones screwing us....the working and middle class. They are the ones who think it's dandy to have billions (if not trillions) of company profit stashed in the Cayman's, or Panama, or wherever, and that MORE PEOPLE should do that!!

sarc/ Hella yeah!! No taxes! Move out of town! Go hire Chinese slaves and Bangladeshis, women and kids especially - pay no taxes, and if their factory collapes, well - oh damn well! They were just Chinese and Bangladeshi people...pfffttt!!!

Our stockholders are the only ones that matter!!!
/sarcasm

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Sounds to me like Kansas politicians have a serious spending addiction that needs treatment. Cold turkey hurts, but it works.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   
shockingly, the "job creators" didn't use the tax breaks to hire people they didn't need

duuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

the daily showed killed this

link

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Yes, I'm an independent/unaffiliated voter. I'm a Bernie fan, actually, but have resigned myself to the way he's being buried, same as when Ron Paul was running, but Bernie got WAY MORE TRACTION.....and this time at least I know the ideas are going to be sunk in to the Millennials. They were too young last cycle....

NOW they are ready.

It is no secret that I am anti-GOP. I made this thread to provide evidence and backup/justification for WHY I am anti-GOP.

Hopefully others who are actually going to vote (who maybe still have a primary to go after today!) will rethink their stances if they can see the result of Republican experiments on a state level as opposed to Democrat experiments at the state level (like Colorado) and compare the two.

So yes, it is about partisan politics....why else would I post it?
And I don't think "just questioning my motive" is how it sounded when you talked about glass houses and mocked me for my use of casual language and insulted me about age....

Now - would you kindly tell us HOW YOU THINK about Kansas? It is a straight-line GOP Dominionist Effort that has ....
failed.

Well, you should know that if you put "Don't vote Republican" SOMEONE would call you out on it right? This time, it happened to be me?

I already made mention that the Republicans in Kansas screwed up. I think it wasn't so much a screw up, but done on purpose to be honest. Maybe I am giving them too much credit though. Money makes greedy people stupid?

Anyhow, I hate both parties. Between the 2 they have both managed to create followers who believe in their BS to the point of being cult like!

I am finding religion to have taken a seat behind those who follow politics as a belief based on what is perceived as truth?

Remember Ross Perot? He was my boy way back then. I still think he got punked by the establishment and was forced to protect his family and get out. Remember that phrase, "A giant sucking sound." Look at today and tell me he was wrong!

I am anti GOP and anti Progressive! Let's face it. We have 1 party which has fragmented into 2 who are one and the same, that uses religion on one side, and social justice on the other to keep us divided on so many levels that we spend so much time pissed at each other that we no longer pay attention to THEM!

Check into the Frankfurt School if you think where we are at today wasn't socially engineered way back then.

I don't feel froggy often but today you happened to draw my ire, when you put across that Republicans bad Democrats good.

Take care

"Older Sis" enjoyed our dialog!

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: syrinx high priest

Thanks for posting that! I've been bringing it to the forums for years now....and it's all coming to a head - the GOP implosion (another thing I saw coming), plus Kansas poo, and now Trump and Koch brothers and fracking and Bernie and wow....
yuge upheaval American style - this will go down in history books. I mean - any one of us could be quoted in some future archive of Earth's history.....

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   

FYI...you failed. Also, as far as your love for high taxes go I leave you with this little nugget...enjoy.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Sounds to me like Kansas politicians have a serious spending addiction that needs treatment. Cold turkey hurts, but it works.

What also works is not cutting off their source of income.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   

I am finding religion to have taken a seat behind those who follow politics as a belief based on what is perceived as truth?

I know, right?!! Both are almost runaway trains at this point. Ghahhhh.....

'my boy ... got punked' ??? How old are you?

I don't feel froggy often but today you happened to draw my ire, when you put across that Republicans bad Democrats good.

All I really said was that Kansas, a GOP thing, failed, and Colorado, a Dem thing, is doing well according TO THE NUMBERS.

Take care

"Older Sis" enjoyed our dialog!

*chews end of cigar...."yeah, watch it, juniah...yer gettin on my noives*....* *spits*

Whatever. Thanks for playing.

Don't vote Republican.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Taxes aren't 'income' they are Government sponsored theft. Income is something you earn. Government has no income only money they steal from the people.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

FYI...you failed. Also, as far as your love for high taxes go I leave you with this little nugget...enjoy.

Actually your little nugget is wrong. Americans paid an income tax during the Civil War and the 1890's. We just never had a permanent one until 1913.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   

lol you're really cool and funny when you aren't mad about politics! Even for an older chic.

Reminds me of a private U2U when me and another member got into a political argument. We both came to the conclusion if we met in a bar and had a few drinks we would get along just fine!

As human beings we have way too many things in common to allow political parasites to take our focus away from our humanity!

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   

You are correct in that Chicago has some serious issues, but so does Kansas and that is the topic. On that topic, what happened in Kansas was that they actually followed through on the standard Republican rhetoric, put their money where their mouths were and it is failing.

I believe that we can cut the government down to a smaller size and cut spending, but what they did was not the way to do it.

We must be willing to learn from our mistakes and the mistakes of others. What we learned here is that the generic model Republicans advocate is shortsighted and does not work as intended.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

So..........You want them to just do away with our schools altogether? No food stamps either? No school lunches, I'm sure, even if you would allow some school. Or, how about the high-rise down the street - the public housing? Want to empty those? FINE with me - those people are kinda sketchy, and reduce the property values of our neighborhood.....

also - do we really need police around here? I mean....really???!!!
o_O

Dude, we're already doing "austerity." And "tax-free".

It's not working. It's just not working. You can moan and fuss about the unexpected and disappointing outcome all you like, but see....no matter how pretty the picture of the car you wanted was, if it has no FUEL tank when you get it, it will not go.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join