It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Chernobyl, Fukushima and the Insanity of Nuclear Power

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 04:09 AM
Funny thing is many of us have seen examples of futuristic and exotic propulsion with unknown power plants running them so the nuclear thing is just all that is allowed outside of those who posses these other advanced technologies.

Gotta admit it would be farked up to have the saudis flying around in stealthed craft with the black hardware in it doing a religious policing at will anywhere in the world.

I know if I had access to one I would use it to take a dump on Kim Jung ills Hair doo during one of his parades just to send him and his slaves a message.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 07:31 AM
I would be happy if the fleet of nuclear reactors was multiplied by 5. The scale of destruction brought by fossil fuels is far far far greater. 7 million people die per year due to air pollution. That's before impacts such as climate change, or that fossil fuels are often imported from unstable countries.

Use Nuclear 'Waste' as Fuel with the Ultimate Nuclear Reactor

Build renewables at the same time too. And electric cars or hydrogen powered vehicles.

Speaking of the Chernobyl disaster, here's a fantastic album (>150 images, often with a paragraph long description) on the disaster.
edit on 27/4/16 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 11:16 AM

originally posted by: EternalShadow
a reply to: mikell

What's the half-life of coal?

How about 4.4billion years? Coal has up to 50 or so ppm Uranium in it depending on where it is from...

So lets see... Coal gets you about 1KWh of power for 1.04 lbs

Average US/Canadian house uses 11,600 KWh per year (rounded down) So if that was supplied by coal

Each house requires 12,000 lbs a year... lets say you have some lovely coal that is 25ppm, thats 0.3 lbs of pure uranium you just scattered across the land from the smoke stack. And thats just one house... take a city of say 100,000 people, and roughly say 4 people per household... we get 25,000 homes, and if coal powered, that is a massive 7,500 lbs of uranium (and not to mention thorium) you just vaporized

Now you can say "Oh but most of it is filtered out" but the reality is, coal is really not great... and if i had 7,500lbs of Uranium or Thorium, id rather burn that in a nuclear power plant and produce less radiation dose on average than living next to a coal burning plant, and or a coal mine. and likely produce power for many many years.

SO Yeah... exactly ignorant sir.

new topics
<< 1  2   >>