It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Dimming

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by kode
What i did find interesting was the reference to contrails being one of the culprits in the cause of global dimming.

yeah that was mad, did u see the satellite pic of california (i think) with 60% or so coverage from contrails!

i remember , one sunday morning last year at around 6am, seeing about 30 jumbo jets flying over within 1 hour. they were very high up, coming from the west. i think they were U.S. troops going to Iraq or something, but there was a huge blanket of contrails in the sky all morning. it was otherwise very clear weather.

wasn't it also interesting that if 9/11 had not happened, we wouldn't have noticed global dimming!

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I saw the programme and got pretty scared by it, so I went to do some research into projects that could counteract the problem, since the whole problem (as I recall) rests with greenhouses, gases, because if you can cut down greenhouses gases then you can cut down global dimming without a problem. (I hope that's right.)

What I got from my research was this: EnviroMission.com.au

There's a video on the link entitled "View Video Clip of "Beyond 2000" (12.5MB in Windows Media format) - a 5 minute presentation on the Solar Tower."

This put my mind to some rest, because if you put many more like this in a desert then you can supply a lot of energy.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I remember see this programe and was disturbed by the implications.Its kind of a catch 22 situation.I was gonna make a topic on this but found one here,so has anyone else heard anymore information recently on global dimming?

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Try these threads, found by using the ATS Search function:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
There's an easy solution to Global Dimming....

Simply clean the glass atmosphere....

Sorry, couldn't resist....(some will get it)...

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
How about a 3 year old bump?

I just saw this documentary for the first time and found that it took the last vestige of fence sitting away from my views on global warming.
I can't understand how today is the first day I hear of global dimming and I read about this type of stuff all the time. The temperature will be going up. We still may have time to keep a bad situation from turning into a unprecedented catastrophic situation.

This CO2 problem is our biggest challenge of the next 100 years.

One thing I need to get my head around is what is the trigger for the peak of global warming and when can we begin to expect some cooling off? Do our actions now have any ramifications for people 100 years from now? If we cleaned up our pollution and actually began to leave this place better than we found it maybe.

BBC Global Dimming

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Thomas Crowne

Afraid not there, bud. Grasses are awful respirators. They suck up a HUGE amount of water and nutrients, and very little CO2. This is why golf courses are probably the most ecologically retarded things humanity has ever come up with.

Now, if you meant low-growing plants in general, sure. Kudzu is also a great respirator. broad-leaved herbaceous plants are the best, with broad-leaved trees following close behind. Grasses and conifers really stink for the purpose of CO2 absorption.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
but old growth conifers make for a great carbon sink- provided they don't dry up and burn down. Carbon sequestration is the future.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
What I would like to see is some conclusive evidence that CO2 is causing these things. Think of the mesozoic, people... CO2 was one hell of a lot higher back then, and the Earth didn't become "uninhabitable" because of it. Indeed life began photosynthesizing on an Earth filled with CO2 and with little oxygen. I invite "global dimming" proponents to explain that one... terrible mis-allocation of resources going on here. Suppressive, too... over in Africa us developed nations probably sound like little more than tyrants, i.e. "you can't have fossil fuels"... you people honestly think that solar and wind power are capable of replacing fossil fuels?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join