It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists claim they've completed the first successful gene therapy against human ageing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
This is interesting.

The CEO of Bioviva USA Inc, Elizabeth Parrish, claims to be the first human in world history to have successfully reversed the effects of natural ageing - thanks to experimental gene therapy provided by her company.

Parrish first underwent gene therapy in 2015 - one designed to protect against muscle mass depletion that is inherent to ageing and another to fight stem cell depletion due to age-related diseases.

Originally meant to prove that her company’s gene therapy was safe, the results - should they prove to be effective in the long-term and withstand due scientific scrutiny - would be the very first successful demonstration of telomere lengthening in any human.

"Current therapeutics offer only marginal benefits for people suffering from diseases of ageing. Additionally, lifestyle modification has limited impact for treating these diseases. Advances in biotechnology is the best solution, and if these results are anywhere near accurate, we’ve made history," Parrish notes.

To that end, even Parrish is clear that more investigation is necessary in order to verify the methods; however, if verified, this work will be revolutionary.

The basis for the success of Parrish’s gene therapy is related to the telomere scores - which are calculated based on the telomere length in white blood cells (T-lymphocytes). Higher telomere scores indicate 'younger cells'. Compared to average T-lymphocytes of the American population within the same age range, 44 year old Parrish claims that the gene therapies she underwent worked and showed that it reversed 20 years of telomere shortening.

www.sciencealert.com...

It's good that they're proceeding with caution and something like this is many years away if it happens but it's interesting steps being taken. I do think we will reverse or slow down ageing in the future. In the future, for every 10 years, it could be as though a person just aged a year. So someone at aged 20 starts this therapy and when their 100, they will look like a 28 year old.

This will also have to be accompanied with colonization of places like the moon and mars. Cities on the oceans and maybe under them as well as people living in space stations. Population growth will explode and the planets ecosystem may become very unstable. I think population growth is a good thing because I think advances in science and technology will mitigate any deleterious factors that may arise due to an increase in population.

This is why I'm leery of global warming fanatics. I have more faith in the advances of science and technology than I do corrupt Politicians who will demand more control over peoples lives in order to save the planet.

There's already plans looking into colonizing the moon and mars and eventually we will be able to control the atmosphere or people will live in domes under water or on earth where the atmosphere is controlled in the dome.

Whatever the case may be, the future will be very interesting with so many grounbreaking technologies on the horizon.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

... and then the Zombie virus.

edit on 26/4/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Whatever the case may be, the future will be very interesting with so many grounbreaking technologies on the horizon.

I assume you mean . . .

IF the oligarchy fail in their plans to bomb us all back to the stone age?

THEY are the ones so hostile to life extending technologies--errrrr--that is--for the serfs and slaves. They are eager for such for themselves, however.

Interesting times.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Yeah, I think this all needs to be taken with a GIGANTIC pinch of salt.
American companies come out with all kinds of bs statements and all kinds of junk science all the time, going so far as to manufacture new words which simply sound "sciency" to the idiot consumer, and people buy it.

When you see all those ads for things that claim to tighten, plump or smooth the skin and "dissolve" cellulite etc, 99% of it all bs, utterly made up.

Even if this is ultimately debunked through actual scientific testing, the idiots have already been marketed to and there's probably already a long waiting list of vacuous Cougars waiting to hand over thousands of $'s to have his debunked "therapy".

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
wrong thread
edit on 26-4-2016 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   
nvm
edit on 26-4-2016 by ghaleon12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Reminds me of the south park she Christopher Reeves was munching on fetuses'

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
They can't treat cancer but they can expand your life...hmmm

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Sweet, I could look 17 again... I wonder what the side effects are.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Seen it before, in a Nova documentary:

www.rechargebiomedical.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:21 PM
link   

It is interesting, and no doubt we're on our way to significant life extending technologies, but until we get all the way there, count me out. This sounds to me like a recipe for cancer.

While I'm no biogeneticist, I feel like this is probably not "well balanced" and will lead to a lack of appropriate cell death (apoptosis), increasing the incidence of cancer. 20 years out probably. I'm good with my aging grinding to a near-halt at 60.

I also believe it's been done before, as I do believe biblical accounts of multi-centennarians "back in the day."

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I am against this kind of tech for a few reasons. First it slows down human evolution. Higher birth and death rates make evolution happen faster. Population control and the ethics of it will take on a paradigm shift. I would be afraid that an uncontrollable virus could destroy civilization or even the whole species if the average life span would increase to 1000 years or whatever. I also cannot see why anybody would want to live that long. A lot of my personal motivation comes from understanding my own mortality and knowing it will all be over someday. There will always be an end to the hard times and never take the good times for-granted, there will be an end to them too. 80 years is enough time to make an impact and leave something behind for the next generation. If you havn't done it in 80 years you never will.

It probably wouldn't be good for space exploration either. I can imagine humans on space flight 1000 years into a mission to some far off solar system getting passed by another group of humans that have a faster, more technically advanced space ship developed a few hundred years after the original ship left. That would suck.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Scientists claim they've completed the first successful gene therapy against human ageing.

Well; I've just been reading quotes from various people about the population explosion and the need for population reduction and even radical measures to achieve it.

Don't go getting excited about this news cos unless your one of the 1% of in your country you ain't at a higher nuf level in society to get it so forget about it.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 03:11 AM
link   
If it's true hope Parrish experience is not an exception and the gene therapy can be applied to more people. Still I was wondering the mechanism of fight adult stem cell depletion

new topics

top topics

join