It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet the company offering a chance at immortality for $200,000

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Sci-Fi anyone? So this could obviously just be a scam.....or....it could turn into something.

Let's pretend for a moment that it does turn into something. First off, obviously only the rich will be able to afford this. Then there is the consciousness factor. If the person does come back will they simply be a vegetable? It all sounds crazy, but this company is attempting what all too many people crave. Immortality.

In the desert climate of Scottsdale, Arizona, rest 147 brains and bodies, all frozen in liquid nitrogen with the goal of being revived one day.

It's not science fiction — to some it might not even be science — yet thousands of people around the world have put their trust, lives and fortunes into the promise of cryonics, the practice of preserving a body with antifreeze shortly after death in hopes future medicine might be able to bring the deceased back.

That "rescue" begins the moment a doctor declares a patient dead. Alcor's team then prepares an ice bath and begins administering 16 medications and variations of antifreeze until the patient's temperature drops to near freezing.

"The critical thing is how fast we get to someone and how quickly we start the cooling process," More said. In order to ensure that can happen, Alcor stations equipped teams in the U.K., Canada and Germany and offers members a $10,000 incentive to legally die in Scottsdale, where the record for getting a patient cooled down and prepped for an operation is 35 minutes.

Next, a contracted surgeon removes a patient's head if the member selected Alcor's "Neuro" option, as it's euphemistically called, in hopes that a new body can be grown with a member's DNA once it comes time to be thawed out. It's also the much cheaper route. At a price tag of $80,000, it's more than half the cost of preserving your whole body. "That requires a minimum of $200,000, which isn't as much as it sounds, because most people pay with life insurance," More said.

Here is the link.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I've definitely heard about this before, but now I'm thinking...if you collect your life insurance policy, and you are then revived...what happens?

I think if the revival part ever becomes science fact, life insurance policies will be jumping to make clauses.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: solongandgoodnight

All I can picture is the talking heads on Futurama

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I remember this company from the news a bored employed could not wait any longer for the patient to die so he just killed it... It could not be fresher than that

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Also, what age would you come back at? If they grow you a new body, how big do they make and how quickly can they achieve that?

Are you an adult in a child's body for a time? Are you in an adult size body that works like brand new, even though your brain is exponentially older?

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   
In terms of living forever I fir one would not want that possibility. But to be frozen and "live again" in a distant future would probably be quite exciting....Unless of course its a dystopian future

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
This is far from being a 'new' thing.

The first person was cryopreserved in 1967

In 1922 Alexander Yaroslavsky, member of Russian immortalists-biocosmists movement, wrote "Anabiosys Poem". However, the modern era of cryonics began in 1962 when Michigan college physics teacher Robert Ettinger proposed in a privately published book, The Prospect of Immortality,[53] that freezing people may be a way to reach future medical technology.

Slightly before Ettinger’s book was complete, Evan Cooper[55] (writing as Nathan Duhring) privately published a book called Immortality: Physically, Scientifically, Now that independently suggested the same idea. Cooper founded the Life Extension Society (LES) in 1964 to promote freezing people. Ettinger came to be credited as the originator of cryonics, perhaps because his book was republished by Doubleday in 1964 on recommendation of Isaac Asimov and Fred Pohl, and received more publicity. Ettinger also stayed with the movement longer

wiki

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
It takes a special kind of person to be that surgeon whose job it is to remove the heads from corpses...

edit on 4/26/2016 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Insanity at its best.

Nevertheless, the deal will suite to those individuals who are knocking at the Heavens door, as a result of serious illness such as Cancer and so forth.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Problem is not the freezing, albeit a currently dead body. The problem lies in the thawing process, if you weren't mush then, you will be now by current capabilities, then Frankenstein takes over, how do you re-energise the goo?

ETA: Just realised what the 1958 Movie "The Blob" was about ....... power goes off in these Cryogenic facilities, defrost ... mush co-joins with mush, one lightening strike later ........ The Blob awakens [SCREAMS ..... running away]

edit on 2016-04-26T11:18:41-05:002016Tue, 26 Apr 2016 11:18:41 -0500bTuesday1804America/Chicago1611 by corblimeyguvnor because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   

I always think of this as modern day mummification, instead of an glorified tomb you get kept in a glorified fridge

Not sure how it will feel waking up with your body pumped full of antifreeze though

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

All I can picture is the talking heads on Futurama

Lol,

I want to know where they are keeping all the deceased souls.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I'm looking forward to the next craze in this nonsense - the ones claiming they can store your consciousness, thoughts and memories for when the tech is here to give you a man-made environment for immortality.

We've all heard the theories about how the human mind could be "downloaded" and a conscious state of being achieved in a man-made virtual environment.

In fact, I might just go and start up a company, I could be a millionaire in a couple of years lol

Of course, all those brains frozen in liquid nitrogen are still there, with no science actually available to do anything other than maintain their state. Pretty sad that people are willing to pay for this nonsense.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Quickest way aside from vegas to throw away 200k... this wont work, wrong technology. Before death, liquid oxygen to remove all air bubbles then flash freeze. There are cells in the body labeled gps cells that will guide a consciousness back to ones body.

Of course the length of time... jeese really depends on how adept the individual is at meditative states of consciousness and the absorptions. Namely the one associated with all pervasive space consciousness...

There are these consciousnesses

The eye, the ear, the nose, the tongue, the skin, the mind, and finally consciousness itself or all pervasive space/omnipotence... people practicing meditation can go many many years or even lifetimes before reaching the final state of full awakening, but it does indeed happen.

Now there is a possibility that even without that training and perfection of it, that when one is unfrozen consciousness from those cells will gps back to the body, but it is likely that since training wouldnt be perfected... that the consciousness had already moved onto a different form depending on ones practice of living the direction of course being positive or negative... so they could be a dog a cat a mosquito, a ghost in the preta realm or living on some alien world we dont even know about. Of course all of thhis gets metaphysical and not really worth mention without one having direct experience of which I am speaking... but for the sake of explaination and since people have been experiementing with it in various ways, it must be added.

The memory of who and what someone is or was is shedded as it was not the essence of consciousness to begin with, so upon returning to ones body they likely would be similar to patients awakening from a coma and or with amensia and have to be reminded of who and what they were or just relearn if they did not take life into another womb, now if they did and consciousness did try to return back to the old form from the new?

I can only theorize as that is beyond my own experience; but I suspect either the second form would die as the consciousness returns to the origional host body, or a quasi state of existing in two places at once sharing experience of the other 6 consciousnesses with the 6 already present and neither had achieved the level of the 7th all pervasive space consciousness or omnipotence

But who they were without that full wisdom and training would have been shedded for the new form... of course there is also the possibility that another consciousness might mistake it as a womb and enter it instead.

Too many uncertainties and possibilities for it to be an exact science with a good repeatable outcome statistically...

Im not sure how long I left mine and returned, however long it takes for a flying insect to find a body implant eggs in the mouth and anus and for them to hatch as larva. Havent researched and it is of no real importance, but it is possible to exit the consciousness avoid the lights and wave forms associated with cakras (rainbow body) see wombs and avoid birth out of any of them and return back into ones body if not found and carted off somewhere or too decomposed for functioning of life... it is why mystics used to take to caves and had an attendent come by and check on them every so often.

The draw back that I had the most issue with, the larva hadnt really taken hold to start eating in large numbers less than a dozen or so, but the dehydration and constipation from bowels drying out, perhaps a humidifier would have been a good idea, of course it wasnt something expected to happen it just did, time and space became moot had to be several days from the fly larva thing but on the internal spectrum of experience? Could have been an hour or aeons way too many experiences to even begin to explain and really no need too for understanding and pointing to others the way... several months prior I had a doubt in meditations that nirvana or awakening beyond suffering was impossible without going beyond death... I suppose the time simply became ripe to find out... the doubt was obviously correct.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Who actually loves this world / life enough to want to come back? A whole lot of us can't wait to leave. I don't get it.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: BigBrotherDarkness
There are cells in the body labeled gps cells that will guide a consciousness back to ones body.

Got a source for that? This is the science forum.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

Not on a machine that allows such things as cut copy and paste, so a search engine is going to have to suffice, if you are that curious about the topic.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I don't understand how they could keep the cells from exploding when they freeze it.

I think the revived person would be crazy, that is easy to assert since they were a little nuts to pay to have it done in the first place. The devil would have you believe a lie.
edit on 26-4-2016 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

Well this is real insightful as for the whole gps cells and moving on to another form and the possibility of going back leaving the second form lifeless.. I think all those details would be governed by time which is to my knowledge above all else.

And by that I mean consider the fact that when someone dies and these cells move on to the next form which makes sense especially the whole positive or negative idea which I too share.

So now let's say someone has some sort of cardiac failure and they pass and we assume the gps cell move on however the ambulance arrives and revives the patient in the ambulance and that person goes on to live the rest of their life so we have to assume that these cells didn't leave and that while that the amount of time it took to bring this person back has to be irrelevant but that the fact that this persons existence at a future point on the timeline must have an effect as to the rate in which these cells move on.

We also need to consider the fact that at one point people died and that was it and have to assume that the cells moved on accordingly however that given the situation above, technological advances allow us just the slightest bit of control over possible death and modern medicine cures things that killed ppl years ago which mean technological advancement definitely has proven it is capable of altering the course of something that was once 100% guaranteed to cause death which leads me to believe that the only thing that can determine whether or not these gps cells move onto the next life form is whether or not the original form holds a position at some future point of the timeline as that is the only way to determine when something has ended and the best way for me to attempt to describe this is by mentioning that if the rate at which the cells left was relevant then that would imply that bringing someone back from death was not possible which I have just listed a specific instance in which it is possible.

At the same time the potential to continue to make technological advancements could be never ending and the idea that gps cells move on to the next life form in a time period where being able to create immortality was conceivable world wide then that leaves the question of where would gps cells move from in a world were mortality no longer exists? Well I'd say that either that would mean the existence of these cells was infinite which would also make the point of them moving on from one form to the next pointless or.. And this is what I'm leaning towards.. It means as you briefly stated that more than likely there is some form of multi dimensional existence at work which is the absolutely only way I can come up with that would answer both the question of how fast the cells move on along with the ideal that potential advancements create inconsistencies with the process so is it possible to consider that maybe each time we pass and fully move on that we do so in a different dimension so that the chance of both coexisting and raising the question of whether or not the second form dies by the presence of the first being brought back is no longer a concern.

I mean at least in my opinion anyone who has actually ever been pronounced dead and was later revived and able to recall what they experienced did so in a manner that seemed like they were describing something of a different reality conceived by the positive or negative nature of their own life force. When all this is considered it doesn't seem so unbelievable.. The idea of a multidimensional universe allowing the ability to achieve.. What is it you call it again?.. Omnipresence? Lol I don't know just my thought.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Alcor...
I always they would be out of business by now and the bodies and brains of those frozen thawed into mush. Impressive they've kept the coolers running this long.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join