It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amber Room Found In Poland? Museum Claims To Have Discovered Hidden Chamber In Nazi Bunker

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
In the decades since WWII, countless people have hunted for the Amber Room and it seems that there are an equally large number of theories concerning its fate. Some believe it never left Konigsberg (Kaliningrad) and that it awaits discovery, hidden somewhere beneath the city. Others believe its strewn along the floor of the Baltic Sea, having been gone down with the sinking of either the Wilhelm Gustloff or the Steuben. Then there are those who are certain it was whisked away in a Nazi submarine, sealed away deep in an abandoned mine, secreted away and reassembled in the home of a wealthy Russia collector — buried inside of a train — hauled off in wagons to who knows where or in the worst case scenario, destroyed in the bombing/shelling of Konigsberg castle.

There's also been no shortage of announcements made by overzealous hunters claiming to have at long last discovered the room's location and odds are, that the Mamerki Museum researchers will meet with similar disappointment but their theory has as much merit as any and more than most.

Daily Mail - Is 60-year hunt for the missing $400million Amber Room FINALLY over? New images show Nazi looted treasure may be hidden behind sealed wall in a secret room of an underground bunker in Poland

But now, bosses at the Mamerki museum near Wegorzewo, north east Poland, say it may have been hidden behind a false wall that was sealed shut inside an old wartime bunker – after finding an unknown room measuring 6.5ft wide and 10ft long using geo-radar.

Bartlomiej Plebanczyk from the museum told MailOnline: ‘We think there is a very good chance that the Amber Room is here for a number of reasons. 'Of course there were no such devices as ground-penetrating radar in the 1950s, so examining and finding hidden spaces wasn't possible. 'Inside may be elements of the Amber Chamber, but also other looted art. But there is no doubt that the room was created specifically for the purpose of treasure.' The suspicion that it could contain parts of the Amber Room is partly based on a testimony of a former Nazi guard. In the 1950s he told a Polish bomb squad unit that in the winter of 1944 he saw heavily-guarded trucks driving up to the bunker and unloading a large cargo. After the trucks had been emptied, the room they had been placed in was sealed. It is thought parts of the Amber Room were stored in the bunker complex for later transportation. Throughout the the next two decades, Polish bomb squads searched the bunkers for evidence of the hidden room, but failed to find anything.

In the 1950s, Erich Koch, the Nazis' chief administrator in East Prussia who is believed to have overseen the Amber Room's transportation from the city of Koenigsberg to Wuppertal in Germany, was taken from prison to the museum site to show Polish officials where the room was. However he was unable to identify the location.
‘In the 1960s, Koch was driven from prison to Bunker 31 and they tried to find it,’ Mr Plebanczyk said. ‘But they didn’t know the exact location, and he couldn’t specify where it was. But he was the last person to see the Amber Room in Koenigsberg.
‘Historians agree that Mamerki is the logical place to look as transporting it from Koenigsberg, they would have to come here and this place is perfect because it was heavily guarded.
‘Bunker 31 hadn’t been completed so they could hide it there and then pretend building was still going on.’
Mr Plebanczyk said they now planned to drill a hole through one of the walls and insert a camera to see what is inside.

At least it sounds like we won't have to wait too long, Plebanczyk told the Daily Mail that he expects to began excavating in 4-8 weeks. Hopefully it won't be a Geraldo Rivera opening the Al Capone vault moment!
edit on 2016-4-26 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian
Doesn't seem like the size of the chamber would be large enough to hold much of the Amber Room. But if it even held just a small portion of it, would be a big find.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I hope it turns out to be it. Great find, I love these kinds of articles. Im surprised I didnt see it somewhere else before you posted it. I have heard lots of stories of the amber room on youtube and a TV show I watched on netflix had several episodes that was all about a music box from the amber room. White Coller I think it was called.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
This is fascinating, and it's going to be amazing to watch no matter what they find.
If it's genuinely a sealed and secret room in the way they believe (and given that there's plenty of evidence and statements to back up this belief) there should be valuables in there whether it's the Amber Room or not.

I've long believed that we haven't done nearly enough to properly investigate so many former Nazi bunkers and locations, we should have volunteer teams leading exploration of these sites and give people the opportunity to locate all these secrets before they're lost forever.

There are plenty of people out there with theories and ideas about where things may have been hidden and what might exist below the surface, we should facilitate their curiosity and allow these people to invest their time and resources into something they love, which will undoubtedly also enrich our understanding of our history and the war in general.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Who would be the rightful owners of it, if it is found?

The Germans stole it (I think, I know they aquired it some how), the Russians could claim spoils of war (technically), but its in Poland....

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I was just watching a TV show with Josh Gates about the search for the amber room. They were searching old bunkers and mines in Germany. There was enough material from the room to fill a couple train cars apparently. I'm thinking that the room has been spread out all over since being stolen. Probably sitting in countless private collections the world over.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Squirlli

The Germans stole it (I think, I know they aquired it some how), the Russians could claim spoils of war (technically), but its in Poland....

The Germans stole it from the Russians. It would go to the Russians.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Doesn't seem like the size of the chamber would be large enough to hold much of the Amber Room. But if it even held just a small portion of it, would be a big find.

Yes, 60 ft^2 isn't a lot of room, unless the chamber has a 20 ft ceiling or something. If it's indeed a hidden chamber that was deliberately walled off, then it's bound to contain something. Hopefully not immortal Nazi zombies al a Frankenstein's Army!

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   

You just never know. There could be something really creepy in there.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Die Glocke yet. That would have fit I'd think. But yes, there's a better than average chance that it's something creepy when you're dealing with Nazis.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Squirlli

It belongs in St Petersberg, Russia.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Poland... sure, they even "found" that nazi gold train a couple of months ago...

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtrenthacker
I was just watching a TV show with Josh Gates about the search for the amber room. They were searching old bunkers and mines in Germany. There was enough material from the room to fill a couple train cars apparently. I'm thinking that the room has been spread out all over since being stolen. Probably sitting in countless private collections the world over.

Yea,h that's what I figure that it was sold off over time. Hope not though as it'd be an awesome find. Would assume then it would replace the re created Amber Room.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I hope they find it there. The Russians have built a 12 million replica of the amber room, but the original if found should go back to the Palace.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Agreed, doesn't seems large enough to hold the amount of amber taken.

Even if it were packed neatly and as tightly as possible.

I would imagine that if it's not empty there could be something still worthwhile to find. Even if its just NAZI war junk of the period.

Historically speaking, it's worth the effort.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
I would imagine that if it's not empty there could be something still worthwhile to find. Even if its just NAZI war junk of the period.

Why would they hide junk?
This is what gets me about this story, clearly there is plenty of evidence that something was hidden there, and now there is evidence that there is indeed a hidden space in that bunker. You don't seal up rooms in bunkers like this unless you have reason to protect something for a long time.

If the readings are right (and not a hoax based on the suggestion back in the 50's that there was a hidden room there) then it should have something valuable in it.

That could be looted treasures, or it could be extremely important documents, or it could even be technology they planned to get to the front lines and needed to protect - any of these options would be valuable to us.

new topics

top topics

join