It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A thought project on the devil and the bible.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Rapha

I feel that many religions today were once, if not one only a few and have spawned into what we have today. I have never heard or thought of the Biblical satan as one of the jinn. I will have to read up on them.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: MrConspiracy

Sorry it took me so long to reply to you, my theory would not require for the entire teachings to be corrupted. All you would have to do is change/add one line stating "Convert or kill" and bam, the bible would have then ordered the crusades and they might still be going.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   
The Devil....

What a convenient concept for man to be able to place blame and not take personal responsibility for his actions.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Even for believers I am quite certain he is used as a scapegoat.

As a child i got into a fight at school, and when the princible asked why I punched the other kid I told "The Devil told me to." That black man turned whiter than me and I`m a ginger. Looking back on it its quite funny but Im lucky my mom knew I was making it up and not haring voices.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeviantMortal
Even for believers I am quite certain he is used as a scapegoat.

Azazel in Hebrew means 'scapegoat'. Co-incidence

Azazel was one of the fallen Watchers working along side Shymhz.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Azazel in Hebrew means 'scapegoat'. Co-incidence

Would imagine, that when the tribe was feeling guilty, and the need to "scape" a goat by "baptizing it in the blood of their sins", and then drove it away from the tribe, but it came back, THAT scared the beejeebers out of them!
edit on 26-4-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

Amazing the links that can be made with words, I personally feel that sometimes it is too many to coincidence.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: DeviantMortal

I attempt to live by a simple thought.

Dont be a d**k.

I wish God had been that pithy

:-)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   

According to this, it might be the origin of the term but not the meaning.

This term, for one who is punished for the misdeeds of others, is the result of a mistranslation. The term was coined in 1530 by William Tyndale, who misread the Hebrew word ‘azazel, the proper name of Canaanite demon, as ‘ez ozel, literally the goat that departs. In Leviticus 16:8, the scriptures describe how two goats should be prepared for an offering, lots should be drawn, and one should be sacrificed to the Lord as a sin-offering, and the other given to Azazel and set free in the wilderness bearing the sins of the people. From Tyndale’s 1530 translation:

I have not done the research myself but this link shows at least three sources.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

I have never heard any of Flip Wilsons work before, that video made me want to look him up.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   

a reply to: intrptr

I was not name calling, sorry you took it that way I am trying to have a friendly discussion that I feel you are adding to,
Perhaps I worded it poorly, I was saying that not being a phallus is how I try to live. Without the guidance of a deity.

Okay, no problem I see that now. Sorry for landing with all four claws.

Thats how I determine if a person is hiding behind ambiguous ideology instead of digging for truth. I adhere to somethings in the Bible, beatitudes and prophecy, mostly. Like most others, I want answers to how to behave and whats in store for us.

What better way to mess up Gods plans than to change what is thought to be his word, his commands for everything we are supposed to do.

Those commands come through our conscience, through the conduit of the soul. Everyone has that ability and 'antenna' for what and what not to do. The trick is to learn how the people that wrote that stuff down got that wisdom.

Not just follow others interpretations.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   

I will have to read your link in seceret tonight >.> The wife doesnt like me visiting "Apostate" sites as she calls them. And I do not wish to fight with my wife.

Backs away slowly…

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: DeviantMortal

Enjoy

:-)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   

I agree that the teachings of the Bible as I understand it, are mostly good. I am not questioning that. I also know that some things have been proven to be at least somewhat true, we have on display for all to see the mummy of one of the pharoes mentioned in the bible that was written long before modern man found his tomb.

My thinking is about altering the teachings as a whole to corrupt them. All one would have to do is change one scripture, add one thing extra, or remove one thing. And as a whole the teachings would still be good and some things historically correct. But corrupt none the less. Like, for arguments sake. Change the scriptures about sex outside of a marriage so that it would be acceptable. That one change while not evil, would still be corrupt and the modern world I think would be a very different place.

And dont worry about the misunderstanding - I see how it could be seen as an attack.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

LoL Is my respect (and healthy dislike for fighting with my spouse) for my wife and her right to beleive scare you that much?

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   

LoL Is my respect (and healthy dislike for fighting with my spouse) for my wife and her right to beleive scare you that much?

You're the one that has to live with her 'single mindedness'.

Once the mind is made up, learning stops. Once we lock out changes there is little room for further discovery and development.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: veracity

Good/bad behaviour yes - but when you equate good to god and bad to devils no just humanity dreaming up others to attribute their perceived good luck to or to blame for their lack of it. You take good and evil a step too far without any proof whatsoever except blind faith, which in any other area of life is laughed at.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   

We have very intersting conversations on religion, I just have to be careful with my wording and she is very willing to talk about. As long as I dont attack what she beleives directly we can have a pleasant talk about any belief. It is frustrating at times but she also knew what she was getting into when we tied the knot. She knows I will most certainly never join her religion. But like most JWs she loves to talk about what she beleives in LoL.

link   

the proper name of Canaanite demon, as ‘ez ozel, literally the goat that departs.

i am going to see if mentioning that name before dreaming actually functions as a summoning in the dream world seeing that i have met him face to face 3 times in the past.

Thanks because it contains one of his other aliases (OZ and UZZA).

link   
a reply to: windword

no wait, you asked what teachings so I gave you a link that lists many. Im not making you look for them, it's just easier than me listing them all on ATS. The only work involved was you clicking a link to save a long post listing all the teachings. I don't think the OP would have appreciated that.

Nice way to back track.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join