It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sperm donor Issues.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Sperm stocks have become depleted since a 1998 law ordered donors to agree to have their identities revealed when a child turns 18.
The clinic says it has not yet received any replies
news.bbc.co.uk...

"Parents should be honest with their children from the start," says Helen, who discovered she was donor conceived when she was 20. "It's the lying that hurts, not the truth."

Ironically Sweden's experience with transparency has, at least in some cases, had the opposite of the desired effect.

Legislation banning anonymous donations was introduced in 1985: interviews with parents who have used donor insemination since suggest that many have not told their children they were donor conceived for fear that they will find their genetic parent.

"But that doesn't mean it was the wrong thing to do," says Dr Claes Gottlieb, who carried out the research. "It will take time before full transparency is achieved, but I honestly believe that the best way to avoid identity issues is for children to be fully informed."
www.canadiancrc.com...

Is it any wonder countries are facing sperm donor shortages when the child can track down there genetic fathers ?
Parents should tell there kids that they were born via a sperm donar. I can also understand why kids would want to find there genetic father.
Its a tricky issue thoughts ?

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Destruction of anonymity of the donor may one day be followed by financial responsibility for the children, even retrospectively. The law can be an ass.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I actually agree with you on this, MA.

In coming years, I bet we will see many sticky issues like this as DNA, who has access to it, and what can be done with it will present entire new sets of problems we're just begining to see the scope of.

It's going to be interesting.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I argree that issues will arise concerning the use of DNA .
As for the financial issues MaskedAvatar raised these issues could be avoided in the future if governments keep sperm donors identity secret.
People donate sperm so a coulple or a person can have a child. I doubt the donars want to know the child or have the kid come lookng for him in later life.

new topics

top topics

join