It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islamist Turkey seizes ALL Christian churches in city and declares them 'state property'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

That would be a revelation to go back to the principles of the BYZANTINE period, wishes of course. Revert the museum of St. Sofia back to a full blown catholic church etc etc....Reminds me of that great song "Istanbul was once Constantinople".

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

UNPRECEDENTED: ISLAMIST TURKEY SEIZES ALL CHRISTIAN CHURCHES IN CITY
youtu.be...

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   

From my knowledge of the Kurdish SE area of turkey, there are VERY FEW christians let alone churches, only mosques. 99% of Kurds is this area of Turkey are sunni muslims and not turks, with very few christians. The government called off the truce last year, so the kurdish PKK (armed wing) went on the offensive again as the govt. started bombing their towns. Cheers......

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   
This news report has some info .The whole thing is quite interesting but goes into some of the details at around the 7 min. mark . He does make it clear that it was all the churches that were seized for "restoration" purposes but brings up the question of why not any of the Mosques .....

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Maybe the Christians there should leave. Thats what we did in 1910 after turkish muslim soldiers disguised themselves as Kurds, snuck into the city, burned down the college, burned down the church, and murdered the missionaries

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Not surprising with everything else Erdogan does. Taken into account with his steady behavioral pattern throughout his presidency I would say it right on coarse. The "spin" isn't necessary to see the guy is a tyrant.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: tommo39
a reply to: 23432

I understand where your coming from. Between 1978 and 1999 (22 years) i had the pleasure to visit Turkey 14 times. All areas from the agean, kurdish batman and lake van, and trabzon. The people kept drawing me back. In those days the Kurds were accepted into the fold, with no war or fighting,and If i had been older i would have retired in bodrum on the agean sea. With regard to the current time, Erdogan is a puppet of the islamist extreme majority, yes the president, but with limited power he can call his own.

I was in Bodrum last week and when I retire I will reside in Bodrum .
Bodrum nowadays as usual is full of non Turks who made a home for themselves.

Kurds are even more acepted into mainfold too ; Kurdish TV , Newspapers and political parties are as active as ever .

Here is what I feel most people don't get about Turks & Islam imho ;

Turks won't turn Arabs or Persians because some Turks are somewhat dubiosly " pious " .

Currently Iranian & Arabian airline fly to Turkey and as soon as the planes enters Turkish Airspace , most women on these planes take off their " Hijab " and dress in " Normal " clothing ; Turks after all are a secular nation which has nothing to " Sharia " but everything to do with " Roman Law " .

Reality is that ordinary Arab or Iranian feels and tastes " Individual Freedom " as soon as they enter Turkey .

Arab and Iranians aren't the only ones either ; most Balkans & Caucasus Nations also feel the same way too .

Why would Turks seize Churches ?

More Christians in Turkey only shows how good the " Islamist Turks " when it comes to co-existence .

Why would Turkey shoot itself on the foot ?

Besides most Churches are owned by Foundation Trusts thus private properties and no one can willy nilly go and confiscate these properties because the LAW forbids it .

This is not about Erdogan ; to Catholic mind set the existential threat is Turks . So they spew misinfo about Churches in Turkey or persecution of Christians in Turkey .[ Ballooney]

The so called " Islamist Majority " is only a paper tiger at the moment ; most muslims want democracy and Islam to co - exist in muslim lands .

But some other users are already calling for a Russian invasion of Istanbul and defeat of antiChrist Erdogan .

I presume that user has no idea how badly the Catholics treated Byzantine .

If I was Putin and were given a choice to either fight the Turks or fight Germans & Italians ; I know which I would choose .

in 1922 Sultan Mohammed Vl put it quite succinctly and pointedly, when he told the American writer E. Alexander Powell: “If we sent one, your newspapers and periodicals would not publish an article written by a Turk, if they published it, your people would not read it, if they read it, they would not believe it.

Even if we sent a qualified person to America, to convey to you in your language, the Turkish point of view, would he find an impartial audience?”

Even the internet couldn't defeat the bias & prejudice & hate of Turk ; it is a national sport for some minds .

Amusingly tiresome.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   

He's actually lost the plot...madder than a sack of frogs.

And to think Turkey is a member of the UN, NATO and is waiting to be a member of the EU.

Even more reason for Great Britain to get the hell out...they'll let any old riff-raff in.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Why would Turks seize Churches ? More Christians in Turkey only shows how good the " Islamist Turks " when it comes to co-existence . Why would Turkey shoot itself on the foot ? Besides most Churches are owned by Foundation Trusts thus private properties and no one can willy nilly go and confiscate these properties because the LAW forbids it .

So what are you trying to say? That this didn't happen?

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: DutchMasterChief

Why would Turks seize Churches ? More Christians in Turkey only shows how good the " Islamist Turks " when it comes to co-existence . Why would Turkey shoot itself on the foot ? Besides most Churches are owned by Foundation Trusts thus private properties and no one can willy nilly go and confiscate these properties because the LAW forbids it .

So what are you trying to say? That this didn't happen?

Of course it didn't happen .

Government has introduced a restoration project for a whole district in Diyarbakir . This district happens to have Church buildings in it .
The news have been spanned to make reader think that this is an exclusive act against the Christian interests in Turkey .

Pair of bollocks mate , hairy and smelly dogs bollocks ; that's all there is to it .

edit on 26-4-2016 by 23432 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   

So according to you the Turkish government didn't seize any property?

The local governor’s office defended the decision to expropriate the property in Diyarbakir, saying in a written statement that the main aim was to bring Sur’s potential as a historic quarter to light by restoring registered buildings and replacing irregular structures with new ones that fit the city’s historical fabric. Local officials have said the properties will be returned once they are restored.

So why would local authorities comment on the expropriation if it didn't happen? Or did the NY Times make this up too?

The Diyarbakir Bar Association has sued the government, claiming that the project is a work of “military and security reconstruction” and that it will not benefit Sur. The Surp Giragos Church is also preparing to take legal action against the order.

This is a fabrication too?

www.nytimes.com...
edit on 26-4-2016 by DutchMasterChief because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   
They are probably demolishing stuff to make new mosques. I notice they described these regions as "war torn", didn't know Turkey has a war going on inside its borders.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: 23432

originally posted by: tommo39

I understand where your coming from. Between 1978 and 1999 (22 years) i had the pleasure to visit Turkey 14 times. All areas from the agean, kurdish batman and lake van, and trabzon. The people kept drawing me back. In those days the Kurds were accepted into the fold, with no war or fighting,and If i had been older i would have retired in bodrum on the agean sea. With regard to the current time, Erdogan is a puppet of the islamist extreme majority, yes the president, but with limited power he can call his own.

I was in Bodrum last week and when I retire I will reside in Bodrum .
Bodrum nowadays as usual is full of non Turks who made a home for themselves.

Kurds are even more acepted into mainfold too ; Kurdish TV , Newspapers and political parties are as active as ever .

Here is what I feel most people don't get about Turks & Islam imho ;

Turks won't turn Arabs or Persians because some Turks are somewhat dubiosly " pious " .

Currently Iranian & Arabian airline fly to Turkey and as soon as the planes enters Turkish Airspace , most women on these planes take off their " Hijab " and dress in " Normal " clothing ; Turks after all are a secular nation which has nothing to " Sharia " but everything to do with " Roman Law " .

Reality is that ordinary Arab or Iranian feels and tastes " Individual Freedom " as soon as they enter Turkey .

Arab and Iranians aren't the only ones either ; most Balkans & Caucasus Nations also feel the same way too .

Why would Turks seize Churches ?

More Christians in Turkey only shows how good the " Islamist Turks " when it comes to co-existence .

Why would Turkey shoot itself on the foot ?

Besides most Churches are owned by Foundation Trusts thus private properties and no one can willy nilly go and confiscate these properties because the LAW forbids it .

This is not about Erdogan ; to Catholic mind set the existential threat is Turks . So they spew misinfo about Churches in Turkey or persecution of Christians in Turkey .[ Ballooney]

The so called " Islamist Majority " is only a paper tiger at the moment ; most muslims want democracy and Islam to co - exist in muslim lands .

But some other users are already calling for a Russian invasion of Istanbul and defeat of antiChrist Erdogan .

I presume that user has no idea how badly the Catholics treated Byzantine .

If I was Putin and were given a choice to either fight the Turks or fight Germans & Italians ; I know which I would choose .

in 1922 Sultan Mohammed Vl put it quite succinctly and pointedly, when he told the American writer E. Alexander Powell: “If we sent one, your newspapers and periodicals would not publish an article written by a Turk, if they published it, your people would not read it, if they read it, they would not believe it.

Even if we sent a qualified person to America, to convey to you in your language, the Turkish point of view, would he find an impartial audience?”

Even the internet couldn't defeat the bias & prejudice & hate of Turk ; it is a national sport for some minds .

Amusingly tiresome.

What is the difference between a Turk and a Catholic Turkish?

I have been going to Turkey for more than a decade. My first two times were for judo and then for concerts and festivals as a sound engineer. .

Erdogan is definitely clamping down on personal liberty of the Kurds. I have Kurdish friends who own nightclubs. They have been increasingly harrased over the past few years.

You could also say it sucks to be a journalist in Turkey.

I would wait a couple years and buy land when Turkey reaches its investment bubble. There should be a fire sale in a couple years when they start defaulting in the short term foreign investment loans.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: DutchMasterChief

So according to you the Turkish government didn't seize any property?

The local governor’s office defended the decision to expropriate the property in Diyarbakir, saying in a written statement that the main aim was to bring Sur’s potential as a historic quarter to light by restoring registered buildings and replacing irregular structures with new ones that fit the city’s historical fabric. Local officials have said the properties will be returned once they are restored.

So why would local authorities comment on the expropriation if it didn't happen? Or did the NY Times make this up too?

your answer is in your own post :

... properties will be returned once they are restored.

The Diyarbakir Bar Association has sued the government, claiming that the project is a work of “military and security reconstruction” and that it will not benefit Sur. The Surp Giragos Church is also preparing to take legal action against the order.

This is a fabrication too?

www.nytimes.com...

Local Church is scared $hitless because pseudo Kurdish but Armenian controlled terrorists are being killed everyday.

Most Kurds in Diyarbakir approve of this project ; most people in Diyarbakir are Kurds .

edit on 26-4-2016 by 23432 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
They are probably demolishing stuff to make new mosques. I notice they described these regions as "war torn", didn't know Turkey has a war going on inside its borders.

Last week there were 7 Armenian CHRISTIAN terrorists killed by security services in Diyarbakir .

It's ok to admit that there are Christian terrorists too .

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

Most Christian Turks are of the Orthodox variety ; Catholic Turkish can be a non Turk or a Turk convert. I see no difference ; as long as they are citizens of Turkey .

I have been going to Turkey for more than a decade. My first two times were for judo and then for concerts and festivals as a sound engineer. .

Erdogan is definitely clamping down on personal liberty of the Kurds. I have Kurdish friends who own nightclubs. They have been increasingly harrased over the past few years.

Erdogan is personally clamping on Alcohol Business ; it is an unfortunate side issue that many Kurds have businesses in this sector. How can Erdogan be crushing the personal liberties of Kurds while simultaneously promoting Kurds in his government ministeries ?

Mehmet Şimşek Politician Mehmet Şimşek is a Turkish politician and economist who currently serves as a Deputy Prime Minister of Turkey since 24 November 2015.

Mehmet Simsek is a Kurd and he will probably be the Prime Minister and/or President of Turkey one day too .

Most Kurds side with Erdogan .

True but you could say that for *ANY* country , surely .

I would wait a couple years and buy land when Turkey reaches its investment bubble. There should be a fire sale in a couple years when they start defaulting in the short term foreign investment loans.

With Saudi & Qatar money behind , Turks will not default .

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

Typical newspaper hyperbole.

6 churches = "That's bad"
All churches = "OMG!!! Kill them all! Look at what they've done!"

How many churches being seized would be 'bad' in your opinion? Why are you trying to justify bad things happening to our Christian friends? I find it sad that religious people can't get along, but I also find it telling how much people try to justify it as being okay when bad things happen to Christians because the PC crowd says it is okay.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Big congrats on completely missing the whole point to that post.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Strictly speaking, religious people of different beliefs can and have gotten along very well...except when international politics conspires to force them to fight each other, then they've always been bitter enemies.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: 23432

originally posted by: luthier

Most Christian Turks are of the Orthodox variety ; Catholic Turkish can be a non Turk or a Turk convert. I see no difference ; as long as they are citizens of Turkey .

Erdogan is personally clamping on Alcohol Business ; it is an unfortunate side issue that many Kurds have businesses in this sector. How can Erdogan be crushing the personal liberties of Kurds while simultaneously promoting Kurds in his government ministeries ?

Mehmet Şimşek Politician Mehmet Şimşek is a Turkish politician and economist who currently serves as a Deputy Prime Minister of Turkey since 24 November 2015.

Mehmet Simsek is a Kurd and he will probably be the Prime Minister and/or President of Turkey one day too .

Most Kurds side with Erdogan .

True but you could say that for *ANY* country , surely .

With Saudi & Qatar money behind , Turks will not default .

Right.

Most Kurds definetley don't side with Erdogan. He has been trying to change the constitution to benefit his ability to executive order his way through the presidency.

I wasn't aware Erdogan oppointed politicians or could in fact control who is allowed to be one. He has done his best to keep the Kurds below 10 percent in parliament. Though to change the constitution he needs to work with them. So he is playing some politics there.

Turkey is a pretty decent small investment area for Western money. The lyra hasn't exactly been surging against the dollar so you have that going for you.

As far as being backed by SA and Qatar. That doesn't mean anything at all. Except they will grab real estate when things go south. You simply can't outpace the gdp with short term loans without a bubble.

It does suck to be a journalist is most places. Turkey just happens to be on par with Russia and headed to worse. The level of how bad is also rated by journalism itself. Turkey has been on a steady decline.
edit on 26-4-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join