It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a war on individual identity?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I'm not exactly sold on this yet

Obviously you suffer from a narrow vision, and any further attempts to ask the number one question is irrelevant.

You will continue too bathroom sector Zero-Zero-One, where you will be assimilated....

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Talorc

No I welcome this kind of thinking in my threads. Thanks

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Men have dominated, and women are tired of masculine culture. Feminine culture gets its turn now. Fair enough. With less dependence on men to work the hard physical labor, due to technological advancement and the ease of purchasing, women no longer are subject to man's rules or kingdom. Women are still underpaid by men. Men are due a suffering. Women want their turn driving culture.

Should be interesting to see where all this goes, and if women will learn from their anatomical counterpart's shortcomings and abuses. Unfortunately, feminist abuse is its own unrealized culture, and this is only the women's beginning. Don't fret though, there lies a balance between the sexes, however many there are now. We're just figuring it all out. Meanwhile, feminine culture will continue to dominate.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   
There has been a war on the white male for decades now. You only need to see what is safe to demean in our commercials and advertisements to see what is happening. It is 'safe' to make the white male stupid or foolish in commercials with the woman or minority coming in and providing the poor misguided sod the wisdom he needs to solve his problem.

It is disgusting and it exists. Once again I agree with you, OneQuestion. It is becoming a regular thing here and it scares me!

edit on 2016/4/26 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boscov

Men have dominated, and women are tired of masculine culture. Feminine culture gets its turn now. Fair enough. With less dependence on men to work the hard physical labor, due to technological advancement and the ease of purchasing, women no longer are subject to man's rules or kingdom. Women are still underpaid by men. Men are due a suffering. Women want their turn driving culture.

Should be interesting to see where all this goes, and if women will learn from their anatomical counterpart's shortcomings and abuses. Unfortunately, feminist abuse is its own unrealized culture, and this is only the women's beginning. Don't fret though, there lies a balance between the sexes, however many there are now. We're just figuring it all out. Meanwhile, feminine culture will continue to dominate.

Well if the way they drive is any testament to how things will turn out then we are in big trouble!

jk..

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
There has been a war on the white male for decades now. You only need to see what is safe to demean in our commercials and advertisements to see what is happening. It is 'safe' to make the white male stupid or foolish in commercials with the woman or minority coming in and providing the poor misguided sod the wisdom he needs to solve his problem.

It is disgusting and it exists. Once again I agree with you, OneQuestion. It is becoming a regular thing here and it scares me!

My perspective is evolving and we do seem to be agreeing more lately

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Sorry guy but I'm about to bust your whole argument wide open:

David Bowie.

Lets look at the facts. First, he damn near lost an eye in a fist fight. He didn't cry about it though. He adopted a fashion sense that blended the lines between man and woman, made a boat load of money, slept with gorgeous women, created an empire through his own creativity, employed dozens (and often hundreds) of people for months at a time, got married, had kids, and died without making a fuss about it.

You are a thinker, and that's cool. But I encourage you to think about both sides of your argument when you post. Sweeping generalizations about "masculine" or "feminine" archetypes are just a tiny part of the story. There are lots of ways to be a man. There are lots of ways to be a woman. Some seem to work better for some people, and not so well for others. It's no big deal though because we can always rely on the fundamental resonance of our own individuality.

If we don't sell it off cheap because we can't seem to rank it's value by some fast food dollar menu of human options and experiences, that is.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Double post
edit on 26-4-2016 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Yea funniest thing, I saw a guy with long hair walking down the street yesterday near the beach, and he was listening to a cool song on his phone speaker. I said "Hey dude, I like that jam, who is it??" His reply was "first of all Im not a man, and second the song is Young Greatness - Moolah" . I just looked at him "ok bro, thanks"

This made the confused mentally ill young man very enraged, and he demanded an apology. I told him to grow up and walked away, but still thanked the nice young man for telling me the name of that song.

It is rather disturbing how hostile and possibly violent these people can become when you refuse to humor their illusions and distortions of reality. Soon enough, their disorder will be reclassified as a mental illness and we can get back to living in a world where the mentally ill do not command so much authority over the acknowledgment of reality, or lack thereof.

If a man wants to pretend to be a woman, dress up and style his long hair, he has every right to do it. Society should not, and I will not be forced to alter their perspective of reality to make them feel better though.

Especially those old senior citizen types who clearly just went crazy in old age and started prancing about in clearly inappropriate attire where families and children shop.

Yes there is a war on identity. As long as we refuse to yield though when confronted by the delusions of the mentally ill, we win.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 04:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Talorc
Whew, I think I went a bit off-topic, but good to get that off my chest.....

It was a little off-topic, but I liked it all the same, so I am glad of your digression. Thank you, and I agree.

Back on topic, I had a conversation recently with one of my son's teachers, who is also a friend and colleague. I asked him if our schools, and the National Curriculum, were now leaning more towards nurturing individuality. He said no, we're just recognising it and giving it space. I liked that. And it is definately more conducive to producing happier, healthier adults.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

I find your post both hilarious and alarming simultaneously

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Anaana

If it is 'only recognizing it and giving it space' then the symbolic 'bathroom issue' would be manifest with Men's, Women's and A third water closet for neither of the above.

The so-called 'giving space', at the same time, is taking 'space'.

It is as much an enforcement as any 'tribal' mentality, as much as gender label, itself, and is even more intolerant than the original.

The gender war has morphed. LOL. Gender, itself has lost.

The constant IS change, IS war.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 06:03 AM
link   

In ways, yes there is a war on individuality but individuals are starting to win. Your intention may not be to help keep individuality tightly locked away under taboo and shame but that is exactly what you are doing.

Individuality is the freedom to express how you feel inside, outward. Conformity to traditional roles stomps all over individuality unless of course you're a traditional type person which shouldn't be stomped on either.

Live and let live.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

What you list are exceptions to the norm. Yes they exist, but they are not common among the vast majority of the global population. Throughout history and in most cultures/societies, men have been viewed as the hunter and protector whereas women have been seen as the supporter and nurturer. Why is this the case? Why has there been such a common theme amongst most civilisations?

It all comes down to nature and what we are best suited for. To deny that most men and woman differ in a biological, physiological and psychological manner is to deny logic itself. Just the way it is, but difficult for some to accept.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 06:25 AM
link   
There are no actual rules when it comes to gender or how to express it. Nature doesn't give a flying crap as long as it reproduces, it stays and if it stops reproducing, then it has come to a natural end. Nature has no agenda. It is what it is and things happen because they can.

Then the human comes along and decides what is acceptable and what is not.

Strangely enough those values vary from place to place on earth, meaning no ideal is set in stone.

For a while we had males domineering by brute force, other places have a matriarchal system. Some welcome transgender people as a third gender and others throw them off towers.

OP has grown up with beliefs that there should be a masculine male in a family, with a docile and maternal mum and 2.3 children. Valid view of a family...for the OP.
Is it overall the best system, should all other systems be eradicated, even if they work?

No way.

I couldn't care less if one day all people use a percentage to describe their femininity/masculinity and we all wear interchangeable clothing as long as the criteria of a civilised country are met, I can do without a template of family that was only 'made popular' because external forces made it the most practical and external events can and will always change.

The 'family' is also a relatively new development in our western culture. There are many different, just as valuable forms of living together. Be it in groups, where everyone helps bringing up the child, to single parents, there is no written law in Nature that favours one over the other. To demand and believe that your values are the only correct ones, shows how easily humans adapt to what they are used to and can't change their views.

All most people want is:

-Safety
-Shelter
-Food
-Stability

And sometimes even the most old fashioned families can't even provide that.
edit on 26-4-2016 by Hecate666 because: clarity

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Freija

I agree with this member,OP,its what i was going to post too.Transgender folks identify with the opposite gender as the one they were born as.They definitely Do have a sense of an individualistic self,enough to risk hatred,ostracism,ridicule,loss of friends and even family members,a lot of upheaval and difficulties,not to mention financial expenses.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

There has been a war on the white male for decades now.

What's with all this victim hood from white males on ats recently? You'll be asking for safe spaces soon, you precious snowflakes Come on guys, what's the matter with you. Life too tough out there? Maybe there's a problem with the image you try to project and not the reality of the situation

Sorry if that was a bit harsh, but I just don't recognise this identity crisis of males in the uk. Must be an American thing

edit on 26-4-2016 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-4-2016 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
What's with all this victim hood from white males on ats recently? You'll be asking for safe spaces soon, you precious snowflakes Come on guys, what's the matter with you. Life too tough out there?

Yeah, those damn white heterosexual males, ignoring the vast benefits their sex, skin tone and sexual orientation afford them. Why can't they just shut the hell up and enjoy having everything handed to them on a silver platter? Don't they know they won the lottery by being born exactly the right sex, colour and sexual orientation? If they don't, let's constantly remind them that they ought to.

They don't know what it's like to be prejudiced against, discriminated against or stereotyped against. And if they do happen to be victims of these things, let's remind them of their past to justify their present treatment. It's about time the pendulum swung in the other direction for once! They don't know about hard work or overcoming challenges.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   

So you think that people being treated with equality and respect is somehow an "attack" on you?

Thanks for that, you're a perfect example of why people need to fight just to be given basic rights and respect in the face of sickening oppression by people who think they deserve some kind of authority over other free people.

If the existence of transgender people is taken as an "attack" on your masculinity, you have far bigger problems than your imagined superiority over others.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

Misconstruing his words to such a degree does not help your argument...

<< 1    3  4 >>

join