It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Engineers develop first transistors made entirely of nanocrystal inks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Apr 07, 2016

Engineers develop first transistors made entirely of nanocrystal inks

. . .
Now, University of Pennsylvania engineers have shown a new approach for making these devices: sequentially depositing their components in the form of liquid nanocrystal inks.
Their new study, published in Science ("Exploiting the colloidal nanocrystal library to construct electronic devices"), opens the door for electrical components to be built into flexible or wearable applications, as the lower-temperature process is compatible with a wide array of materials and can be applied to larger areas.
. . .
The researchers began by taking nanocrystals, or roughly spherical nanoscale particles, with the electrical qualities necessary for a transistor and dispersing these particles in a liquid, making nanocrystal inks.
Kagan's group developed a library of four of these inks: a conductor (silver), an insulator (aluminum oxide), a semiconductor (cadmium selenide) and a conductor combined with a dopant (a mixture of silver and indium). "Doping" the semiconductor layer of the transistor with impurities controls whether the device transmits a positive or negative charge.
. . .

= = =

Sounds, to me, like it opens up a much wider array of surfaces and materials to print such circuits on.

I'd just as soon NOT have one printed on my skin . . .

Will this mean that 'garage geeks' can turn out more sophisticated circuits on more and more exotic materials? To what end?

What are likely to be the practical results of this that influence the lives of the most consumers?

Ink for computer printers is already outrageously high . . . I can imagine the price of such cartridges as this would be astronomically high! LOL.

edit on 26/4/16 by JAK because: Link code correction.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   
link is broke

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Sorry about the link. Will try and track down an alternate shortly.

Thanks.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: coldkidc

THIS link was working a few seconds ago:

[try one below]

MAYBE this one from another site will work:

www.bioportfolio.com...

That one just above worked several seconds ago.

I'll put another in this post, too, just in case.

www.innovationtoronto.com...

That's weird. It worked from the dogpile.com search page but not from the ATS page.

I don't understand that.

Trying again . . .

www.nanowerk.com...=31598.php

edit on 26/4/2016 by BO XIAN because: trying to get link to work.

edit on 26/4/2016 by BO XIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   
You're not likely going to have to worry about circuits printed on your skin. This is more like a computer that resembles a 'thick' piece of mylar sheet. A computer you can roll up or maybe wear. I do see biomedical applications like full-body pulse oximetry. Instead of just general pulse and blood oxygen, doctors would be able to broadly examine specific blood oxygen 'hot-spots'.

new topics

top topics

join