It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Book of Noah: Ark built by angels?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   
www.meta-religion.com... d_Religions/Christianity/Other_Books/Old_Testament_Apocrypha/book_of_enoch.htm

At the link above, you will find The Book of Enoch, which is familiar to some but not all. In my spare time, I am reading and investigating this book. I will quote here from the Metareligions website:

There is abundant proof that Christ approved of the Book of Enoch. Over a hundred phrases in the New Testament find precedents in the Book of Enoch.

Another remarkable bit of evidence for the early Christians' acceptance of the Book of Enoch was for many years buried under the King James Bible's mistranslation of Luke 9:35, describing the transfiguration of Christ: "And there came a voice out of the cloud, saying, 'This is my beloved Son: hear him." Apparently the translator here wished to make this verse agree with a similar verse in Matthew and Mark. But Luke's verse in the original Greek reads: "This is my Son, the Elect One (from the Greek ho eklelegmenos, lit., "the elect one"): hear him."

The "Elect One" is a most significant term (found fourteen times) in the Book of Enoch. If the book was indeed known to the apostles of Christ, with its abundant descriptions of the Elect One who should "sit upon the throne of glory" and the Elect One who should "dwell in the midst of them," then the great scriptural authenticity is accorded to the Book of Enoch when the "voice out of the cloud" tells the apostles, "This is my Son, the Elect One"-the one promised in the Book of Enoch.

The Book of Jude tells us in vs. 14 that "Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied." Jude also, in vs. 15, makes a direct reference to the Book of Enoch (2:1), where he writes, "to execute judgment on all, to convict all who are ungodly." The time difference between Enoch and Jude is approximately 3400 years. Therefore, Jude's reference to the Enochian prophesies strongly leans toward the conclusion that these written prophesies were available to him at that time.

I thought I'd place these quotes side by side so bible readers can see that Jude is quoting this ancient text:

Jude 1: (14) Enoch, the seventh from Adam prophesied about these men: “See, the Lord is coming with thousands upon thousands of his holy ones (15) to judge and convict all the ungodly of the ungodly acts they have done in the ungodly way, and of all the harsh words ungodly sinners have spoken against him.” (NIV translation)

Enoch 1: (9) And behold! He comes with ten thousand Holy Ones; to execute judgment upon them and to destroy the impious, and to contend with all flesh concerning everything that the sinners and the impious have done and wrought against him. (Knibb translation of Ethopian ms)

What other books are quoted so directly in the bible? I ask because I don't know but am curious.

The site continues:

Fragments of ten Enoch manuscripts were found among the Dead Sea Scrolls. The famous scrolls actually comprise only one part of the total findings at Qumran. Much of the rest was Enochian literature, copies of the Book of Enoch, and other apocryphal works in the Enochian tradition, like the Book of Jubilees. With so many copies around, the Essenes could well have used the Enochian writings as a community prayer book or teacher's manual and study text.

Apparently we would not even have _known_ about this important book if not for a fellow named James Bruce who had the cajones to go to Ethopia and investigate...

In 1773, rumors of a surviving copy of the book drew Scottish explorer James Bruce to distant Ethiopia. True to hearsay, the Book of Enoch had been preserved by the Ethiopic church, which put it right alongside the other books of the Bible.

Bruce secured not one, but three Ethiopic copies of the book and brought them back to Europe and Britain. When in 1821 Dr. Richard Laurence, a Hebrew professor at Oxford, produced the first English translation of the work, the modern world gained its first glimpse of the forbidden mysteries of Enoch.

Most scholars say that the present form of the story in the Book of Enoch was penned sometime during the second century B.C. and was popular for at least five hundred years. The earliest Ethiopic text was apparently made from a Greek manuscript of the Book of Enoch, which itself was a copy of an earlier text. The original was apparently written in Semitic language, now thought to be Aramaic.

I find it fascinating that for all the lip-service paid by Christ-followers in this world, the majority are lazy dopes who do not wish to investigate truth. What was it Jesus said about people being decieved? Surely no Christian today thinks that deceptions are included in the King James Bible, do they? :^)

I mention all this as a prelude to the bits about Noah. "The Book of Noah" is one of the books of "The Book of Enoch". Check this out:

Book of Noah 65 : (1) And in those days, Noah saw the earth had tilted and that its destruction was near.

Book of Noah 67 : (1) And in those days, the word of the Lord came to me, and he said to me: “Noah, behold: your lot has come up before me, a lot of love without reproach, a lot of uprightness. (2) And now the angels are making a wooden structure and when the angels come out from that task, I will put my hand on it and keep it safe. And a change shall take place so that the ground may not remain empty.

Book of Parables 54 : (7) And in those days, the punishment of the Lord of Spirits will go out, and the storehouses of the waters which are above the sky and under the earth will be opened. (8) And all the waters will be joined with the waters that are above the sky. The water that is above the sky is male and the water that is under the earth is female.

I find this stuff fascinating and will post to this thread as I dig deeper. Comments from the faithful or unfaithful are welcome. :^)

[edit on 13-1-2005 by smallpeeps]

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I read somewhere that the story of Noah and his ark was a retelling of the destruction of Atlantis. Anyone else read this somewhere? And if so, does that mean that Noah was Atlantean? I also read somewhere that Atlanteans also had the ability of genetics and genetic engineering. Maybe that's how he got all of earth's animals in such a small boat.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   
smallpeeps,

This is a great thread topic... and I applaud the work you put into its first post.

Before I became the sarcastic Bush-defender that the ATS world knows me as today I was actually a semi-decent religious studies major. There are a few things my little brain remembers from those days that might be of interest to ATSers who are reading this thread:

1)The people of the ancient near east thought of the sky as being a dome that separated the earth from a higher ocean. They saw the world we live in as a bubble of sorts that God (or the gods, in some traditions) had set-up between two oceans. If you think about it... this means that they thought of outer space as an ocean of sorts. The flood mentioned in the bible, for them, would almost be the equivalent of a flight through space.

2)The epic of Gilgamesh ends with an encounter, in the land of the dead, between Gilgamesh and Noah. In it the ark is described not as a boat, but as a sealed, square capsule that could float through the waters that went over and around it.

3)The book of Enoch has a passge where angles encounter the narrator in a manner that is eerily reminiscent of an alien abduction.

All in all... I wonder if the 'ark' was a spacecraft and not a boat... and if the 'angels' mentioned in legend were what we would call aliens today.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   
It's a fascinating read. Interesting topic, but I have nothing to contribute I'm afraid, other than guesswork.

But I certainly think it's a possibility. I mean, if the Ark was as big as we think, it would have taken even Noah and all his men years to make. It wouldn't seem unlikely that "God" helped out at least, possibly sending angels disguised as Workmen.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams

All in all... I wonder if the 'ark' was a spacecraft and not a boat... and if the 'angels' mentioned in legend were what we would call aliens today.

Good one! Very interesting topic.

How would the '40 days and nights' of rain fit into this? (Perhaps the length of the trip?)

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   

3)The book of Enoch has a passge where angels encounter the narrator in a manner that is eerily reminiscent of an alien abduction.

Yes, the angels/aliens idea is given a better toe-hold with the Book of Enoch. The BoE also mentions that there were only 200 total angels who rebelled and names many of them. OimD: Does the Epic of Gilgamesh mention Noah by name? I did not know this. I will research this.

How about this passage:

The Law of the Stars 82 : (8) And he has the power in Heaven, over night and day, to cause light to shine on men; the Sun, the Moon, and the stars, and all the Powers of Heaven which rotate in their orbits.

Here we see Enoch describing heavenly bodies rotating in their orbits. Hmm... This was over TWO THOUSAND YEARS before Johannes Kepler.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Black sea flooding:

www.zetatalk.com...

Tigris flooding:

www.flood-myth.com...

For all I know the primitive tribes at the nicobar islands will pass the story of the recent tsunami to their children as some biblical divine intervention of global proportions, in the course of generations, completely romantisized with gods of the rainforest warning the survivors in the night before the event in their dreams to seek higher grounds and sacrfice the blood of a virgin overthere to have the others spared etc.. etc...

I guess they didn't have CNN and live-streaming internet in the times of Noah otherwise it would never have made the bible, just ask yourselve, why is it that nowadays no chapters are added to the bible, is it because the Messiah failed to show up in the magical year 2000 ? or is it because more people have better access to various information .so they do not have to rely on the word of some clerical priest class???

Referring to bible quotations as proof for events is like referring to texts of the little red Book of Mao to proof that communism is the way to go. Sure it mentions also some actual events, like the Long March, but in a very politisized/distorted way. Scientific inspection might reveal the facts not always fit the morale of the story, the good weren't so herooic and the bad weren't all bad...

[edit on 14-1-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by smallpeeps

Yes, the angels/aliens idea is given a better toe-hold with the Book of Enoch.

Aliens don't necessarily mean angels. They could also be demons (ie, read Orion group, the Watchers, the Greys, etc). Also, there are numerious prophecies in which there are supposed aliens who will come down to earth. They will perform fantastic feats and proclaim that they are servants of the Lord God/Allah/whatever, but in fact they will be agents of evil who have always been here and in fact are controlling the Illuminati and the Council on Foreign Relations and the Trilateral Committee. Not sure if I believe that, but it's definitely something to watch out for. Ever seen the series "V"?

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Aliens don't necessarily mean angels. They could also be demons

Consider the implications of what you are saying. If Aliens are presumed to be demons, what future does that hold for the human race?

So humanity sees itself cornered on planet Earth? Christ man! What sort of bright future could come from that?

Any evil done by evil aliens will be balanced out by good/compassionate aliens. Enoch's Demons, Angels and Sephiroth may ALL be aliens but to say that aliens are demons across the board is just wrong.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by smallpeeps

Aliens don't necessarily mean angels. They could also be demons

Consider the implications of what you are saying. If Aliens are presumed to be demons, what future does that hold for the human race?

So humanity sees itself cornered on planet Earth? Christ man! What sort of bright future could come from that?

Any evil done by evil aliens will be balanced out by good/compassionate aliens. Enoch's Demons, Angels and Sephiroth may ALL be aliens but to say that aliens are demons across the board is just wrong.

Nah, sorry about the confusion. I didn't mean that ALL aliens were demons. I just meant that some of them were demons just as some aliens are angels.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I am proud of this thread.

Yes, in some past evacuation of Earth, I think SOME ark was perhaps built by angels. If it was Noah or not, [shrug].

We need more discussion of the Book of Enoch, Jesus was familiar with it of course.

top topics

join