It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prevalence of Parkinson’s disease in Victoria could be linked to pesticides

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Monash University study finds areas where pulses farmed have significantly higher rates of the disease
Australian Associated Press

Sunday 10 April 2016 23.40 EDT

. . .
Researchers have found four neighbouring local government areas in north-west Victoria – Buloke, Horsham, Northern Grampians and Yarriambiack have higher rates of Parkinson’s than average.

The study suggests recorded cases of Parkinson’s, based on medication use, are 78% higher than average in Buloke, 76% higher in Horsham, 57% higher in Northern Grampians and 34% higher in Yarriambiack.
. . .
Overseas studies have identified risk factors for Parkinson’s include living in rural areas and exposure to herbicides, pesticides and bore water.
. . .

It appears to me that there's enough evidence to err on the side of caution many times over.

Lab studies and studies like this one are NOT supportive of being brainless about pesticides and exposure thereto.

Neurological stuff is serious.

And with a long list of pollutants in our air, ground and food assaulting our neurological systems . . . . it is probably long past due when we ought to be exercising a great deal more watchfulness, care, better boundaries and limitations on such hazards.

It's not as though chemical pesticides are the only barrier between us and starvation. There are alternatives that are tolerable &/or which could be developed more.

I think a major problem is oligarchy conglomerates and their greed--and control skills at maximizing their greedy money collections.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Your post reminded me of this story from 2002:

Michael J. Fox part of B.C. Parkinson's 'cluster'

Fox was one of four people working on a show in Vancouver who contracted Parkinson's Disease, and a doctor treating two of them theorized there was a common cause, such as a virus. But it was little more than a theory.

I'm not familiar with Canadian geography so I looked up Victoria and Vancouver. Victoria is on the southern tip of of Vancouver Island, with mainland Vancouver about 75 miles north across the sound as the crow flies. Not far at all in the grand scheme of things.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Victoria also has an over concentration of Alzheimer's , Heart attacks and people dying in their sleep as well. Victoria is nick-named "The newlywed and almost dead". ...and there aren't as many newlyweds as their used to be.

In very old populations diseases that develop later in life are more prevalent.

In downtown Vic' there are so many oldsters with Walkers they can't help but make sparks as they try and pass each other on Fort Street.
edit on 25-4-2016 by Leonidas because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I have genetics where I do not break down pesticides well. It really isn't that rare, about a third of people from Northern Europe have that genetics.

Yes, the inability to break down these pesticides can lead to parkinsons disease and also many other diseases. A person has to be blind not to see that many more people get cancer and other diseases now than back in the sixties. They even had DDT back in the sixties and there weren;t so many cases of cancer as now. Sure, survival rate of cancer is better, but it would be a lot better not to get it in the first place. Back then more people died of heart attacks, but a simple paper filter in our drip coffee maker can lower that risk.

Parkinson disease has increased over the years but it did exist all along.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 03:47 AM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Don't worry about it mate, they'll bring out a vaccine for it next week. Then they'll die of natural causes before they die of Parkinsons and save the day.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

He is referring to the state of Victoria in Australia.

😊

top topics

join