It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carbon nanotube light source for quicker computer chips

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Apr 19, 2016

CORRECTED LINK:

www.nanowerk.com...=43168.php

THANKS TO: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

(Nanowerk News) Worldwide growing data volumes make conventional electronic processing reach its limits. Future information technology is therefore expected to use light as a medium for quick data transmission also within computer chips. Researchers under the direction of KIT have now demonstrated that carbon nanotubes are suited for use as on-chip light source for tomorrow’s information technology, when nanostructured waveguides are applied to obtain the desired light properties. The scientists now present their results in Nature Photonics ("Cavity enhanced light emission from electrically driven carbon nanotubes").
. . .
The compact electricity/light signal converter presented now meets the requirements of the next generation of computers that combine electronic components with nanophotonic waveguides. The signal converter bundles the light about as strongly as a laser and responds to variable signals with high speed. Already now, the optoelectronic components developed by the researchers can be used to produce light signals in the gigahertz frequency range from electric signals.
. . .

Hmmmmmmmmmm . . . so . . . I wonder how long it will take this to show up at Best Buy?

And when will we get massively greater amounts of RAM?

Sounds good to me . . . mostly ignorant though I am about such things.

I hope this ends up benefiting the common citizen instead of mostly or only the power brokers and conglomerate institutions that tend to bend, fold and spindle 'the little people.'

What are the predictions of the tech geeks hereon about the evolution of this tech?

edit on 25/4/2016 by BO XIAN because: FIX LINK

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
You link is broken

Here you go!

Source: Nanwerk - Carbon nanotube light source for quicker computer chips

Check out the Graphene MEGA thread for a cool link to somebody who create CNTs using a Tesla coil!

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

This type of computing power will reach the general consumer about twenty years after the militarys of the world find some even faster way to operate their war machines.

Of course this will have already been at our expense.
So rest assured you will buy it a lot sooner than you can try it.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Pretty cool stuff. Nothing that new, however. I had a buddy that worked for Intel back in 2004 and "light chips" were already a topic of conversation.

I agree though, it will be some time before it materializes on the consumer level.

new topics

top topics

join